Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Patch Antenna: The Emperor's New Clothes?

Reaction score
Website
www.airnashville.net
So, I've had the patch antenna included with the Cendence RC for a couple of weeks and I'm not impressed. I hate to say it but, I think it actually may be worse than just the stick antennae. What's your experience been like? I get "weak transmission..." warning all the time, even when it's pointed directly at the UAV and not particularly far away. What has been your experience. When I Google this is get crickets... Nobody seems to be posting about the patch antenna. What say you?

I went straight to the sticks because I heard it doesn't give a significant enough upgrade. Hopefully it's just a software tune they can make better in the future. For now I'm plenty happy with the reception without the patch antenna. Plus it shaves off a little bulkiness and weight.

Reactions: Advexure
I returned my patch antenna to my local DJI for repair when I realised that it was considerably worse than the stick antenna.

My local dealer has since been told that DJI know there is an issue, which they hope to have fixed with a firmware upgrade. My patch antenna should be back here tomorrow so lets hope DJI get the issue (seemingly caused by the recent firmware upgrade) fixed soon.

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
I returned my patch antenna to my local DJI for repair when I realised that it was considerably worse than the stick antenna.

My local dealer has since been told that DJI know there is an issue, which they hope to have fixed with a firmware upgrade. My patch antenna should be back here tomorrow so lets hope DJI get the issue (seemingly caused by the recent firmware upgrade) fixed soon.
I hope they do get a fix done by software upgrade but, knowing DJI have also wondered it it was just a ploy to get us to not balk at paying a grand just for a remote controller unit.

On the positive side, my recent flights with the Cendence using the stick antenna suggest that the range is actually a little better than the standard controller.

I do hope they complete the functionality by providing a use for the left & right side analog controls. It would be nice to be able to assign them to control zoom/exposure/gimbal roll, etc. However, as it’s almost a year of waiting for the POV feature to be implemented I won’t hold my breath!

I have noticed after watching a few videos that a lot of people are putting the patch antenna on the Cendence the wrong way. After buying one myself (with the free antenna) I was ready to have to mount it myself, then when it came in it was already mounted.. backwards to what i had seen in the majority of the videos. I'm assuming DJI knew what they were doing, and installed it correctly. The way it is set up on my controller, is the foot pads face Toward the aircraft.

Reactions: rcinlasvegas
I have noticed after watching a few videos that a lot of people are putting the patch antenna on the Cendence the wrong way. After buying one myself (with the free antenna) I was ready to have to mount it myself, then when it came in it was already mounted.. backwards to what i had seen in the majority of the videos. I'm assuming DJI knew what they were doing, and installed it correctly. The way it is set up on my controller, is the foot pads face Toward the aircraft.

Yes, mine was factory fitted with the rubber feet pointing towards the aircraft but still had very little range, with total signal loss at just 200m.

Is yours working ok and what firmware version are you on?

I haven’t had a chance to test mine at a far range yet. The last two jobs I had were all close range. I will do a test flight tomorrow and let you know

And I did a Firmware update right when I received the controller on Tuesday

Last edited:
We have nearly perfect weather, considering it's winter, forecast for tomorrow. I'm going to head out and do more testing. I knew about the proper orientation issue and mine came from FlyHighUSA and, we ran through that on delivery and it's accurate. I guess DJI figured we would all just naturally assume the part with pads would fold under the RC and when sitting, would protect it. I can also understand how people could mount it backwards by accident. ...And, the more I think about it, any device that allows you to mount anything on it backwards is truly bad design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Boucher
Well, it's official. I ran the I2 out on 2.4ghz for about 400 ft using the patch antenna and started getting "weak transmission" signal. Brought it back in and switched to the sticks and stayed on 2.4ghz and flew over 4,000 ft without any issues before I started getting a bad case of the "clinch-***" and brought it back. With the sticks, the transmission remained excellent in either 2.4 or 5.8ghz regardless of the distance (that I could stand to fly) while the patch was puking out on me in relatively short distance. I pulled the patch off then and there. When I start hearing positive things again I will give it another try. I have to be able to trust my equipment and with DJI, that's always a little worry in the back of my head.

Last edited:
Latest update: It does seem that more than just a couple of these have been problematic. Fortunately for me, I bought through a distributor (FlyHighUSA) and the proprietor, Ralph Rigdon, is arranging a replacement with DJI and will be able to provide information to them regarding all of this once he has my current unit in hand. Always buy through someone who will remember who you are and be faithful to your vendor! That relationship makes all the difference.

Reactions: chdhankins1
Latest update: It does seem that more than just a couple of these have been problematic. Fortunately for me, I bought through a distributor (FlyHighUSA) and the proprietor, Ralph Rigdon, is arranging a replacement with DJI and will be able to provide information to them regarding all of this once he has my current unit in hand. Always buy through someone who will remember who you are and be faithful to your vendor! That relationship makes all the difference.

Please report back if you get a working one as my dealer says that DJI know about the issue and are working on a solution but they haven’t offered a replacement yet. It sounded like the solution would come in the form of a firmware update.

**** This sucks to hear!
My cendence and patch antenna are CRUSHING the range on my old rc.

I'm on vacation in Guatemala right now and sent my i2 @5000ft away with perfect control.
I was extremely high from take off point (over 1200 feet) but under 400AGL as I flew up to the top of a volcano to look down and check out some lava.
I did 8 flights with consistent results.
The first flight I had weak image signal almost immediately but then realized I had forgotten to reconnect the patch antenna into the rc. ( I don't really like how far out that connection protrudes when the rc is packed up so to avoid friction I unplug it).

Here's a pic of me and the bird and cendence at Pacaya Volcano.

Instagram post by Ryders Alley • Nov 23, 2017 at 12:29pm UTC

Also I have NOT updated to the latest firmware for the Cendence. The firmware says it basically fixes bugs and adds x7 support and updates your djigo 4 version so I said no thanks.

(I do have one glitch though, when cendence is master and old rc is slave camera operator, the yaw movement is jerky. Like the gimbal has epilepsy on that axis. If I switch roles and make the cendence the slave rc then the issue goes away)

Also I have NOT updated to the latest firmware for the Cendence. The firmware says it basically fixes bugs and adds x7 support and updates your djigo 4 version so I said no thanks.

(I do have one glitch though, when cendence is master and old rc is slave camera operator, the yaw movement is jerky. Like the gimbal has epilepsy on that axis. If I switch roles and make the cendence the slave rc then the issue goes away)

The newest firmware update is supposed to fix that issue with the old I2 remote being the slave.

Reactions: DrMrdalj
Sent my Patch back to DJI for repair.

I presumed that they had found a fault with it as they replaced it with a new one.

Guess what? it still doesn’t work. The signal starts dropping of at about 100ft and drops out completely by around 500ft.

Does anyone have a Patch antenna that works?

I presumed that they had found a fault with it as they replaced it with a new one.

Guess what? it still doesn’t work. The signal starts dropping of at about 100ft and drops out completely by around 500ft.

Mine works as advertised. I get much greater distance for video signal with the patch on the Cendence, versus the original RC for Inspire 2.

Mine works as advertised. I get much greater distance for video signal with the patch on the Cendence, versus the original RC for Inspire 2.

I wonder why I can’t seem to get one to work much at all let alone better than the stick antennas? It would be great to get to the bottom of this.

Which country are you based in?

I wonder if the problem has something to to with the low transmission power permitted in the UK & Europe?

We had a couple that were knocked out by the “update server issue” DJI reported a few weeks back. Other than those cases we’ve been finding success with the Patch Antennas.

@Mad_angler1 any insight you can provide on possible issues with European/UK transmission on the patch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinODo