Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

PDK airport Atis now mentions UAV in their hourly broadcast

Reaction score
I've been flying in/out of KPDK in Atlana for about a year now and for the first time last week I heard the hourly Atis mentioned this, "notice to airman, there have been reports of several unmanned aerial rotary aircraft flying in the vicinity of the airport at or below 200' AGL..."
I thought that was cool, now drones are mentioned along with "cranes operating in the vicinity" as part of the drill.

Reactions: SixtyMike
I'd certainly appreciate the report as I'm approaching a terminal area. I'll appreciate it even more when they can give me a specific area where an operation may be taking place... or best yet - if I see it on my ADSB-in. Times are changing...

Concur on all. I'm very curious to see how ADS-B (or a similar technology) will be used on UAV's with regard to NEXTGEN requirements in the future.

Will be listening (and watching!) the next time I fly into PDK for lunch. Probably late December.

Concur on all. I'm very curious to see how ADS-B (or a similar technology) will be used on UAV's with regard to NEXTGEN requirements in the future.

Will be listening (and watching!) the next time I fly into PDK for lunch. Probably late December.
pm me if u do, maybe we can meet up at the downwind to grab a burger.

I'm working with the UW Automated Flight Systems Laboratory to do a flight demonstration using ADSB and two positioning sources next spring. Sagetech already has already executed a demo with a UAS and cirrus... The tech is here. In volume the pricing will be too. It's just policy integration now...

I'm working with the UW Automated Flight Systems Laboratory to do a flight demonstration using ADSB and two positioning sources next spring. Sagetech already has already executed a demo with a UAS and cirrus... The tech is here. In volume the pricing will be too. It's just policy integration now...

Very interesting, one must be wondering if a $1000 drone can have an ADSB out then why an airplane requires a $4000+ ADSB out option....maybe I'll just keep a drone in my little cessna then.

Great question. I don't know the requirements for installation in certificated aircraft, but my guess is that's where the problem rests. They're working the issue though. Prices will likely come down drastically with volume. There just aren't many options out there for micro transponders with suitable SWAP specs for sUAS.

Sagetech | Unmanned Transponder Solutions

I did look into this little gadget while researching ads-b out for my cessna 150. I thought i may just get one of that so I can trigger the ads-b towers. right now i have to rely on the other planes who is equipped with the ADSB out to trigger the traffic signals. Do you have a price on the Sagetech? Are they looking into implement it for the general aviation?
What I really don't understand is if ADS-B traffic signal is such a great safety measure why don't they just broadcast it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla