Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Personal best distance test

ksj

Reaction score
HELLO guys.

This info might help anyone wondering about distance for the INSPIRE 1 V2.O. stock antenna. I still had full signal video and RC when i turned around. Very interesting with the amount of battery power to reach the 16969ft (3.2miles) 26%. Then with the light headwind coming back AND I mean hardly any wind took up 48% of the battery. We need to keep that in mind, even a slight wind makes a big difference. Landed with 26% battery left. For a round trip of 33603ft (6.36 MILES) I AM IMPRESSED

BATTERY : TB48 100% charge
WIND: very light, not enough to hold a flag up.
3.2 miles INSPIRE 1 2.0.PNG
INSPIRE 1 2.0.PNG

infoVery impressive!

Can you provide any other points of interest regarding your flight.

1. It appears you had been flying the latest version of Inspire, V2.0, however, was it a T-600 model, with the newer version radio GL658-C, or Inspire T-601 model with the same model radio.

2. Terrain, & Location, what part of the world this flight occurred, for those having some difficulty associating the particular area from the map info. you've provided. Was the flight mostly over flat land, with minimal obstructions, and radio interference. etc.

3. What version of firmware is loaded on the radio & Inspire, as well as the camera App & version used if known.

4. The altitude the flight was flown. Had you begun your flight at at a specific altitude, and then gained altitude as the models distance became further away.

5. Weather conditions, aside from wind speed as mentioned.

6. Any other facts or conditions that may have influenced the overall result of the flight.

Regards,

Last edited:
Reactions: TransArctic
I attached pics of the RC label(GL658C) and the Inspire label(T601)

Flight was over water and mangrove islands. Pine Island sound, Florida. Firmware is the latest for RC, Inspire and battery. The app is the DJI GO. latest version. Weather was clear temp was in the upper 70s. The altitude was steady the whole flight at 330-340 ft.

IMG_2335.JPG IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2469-1.JPG IMG_2471-1.JPG

Excellent!, by chance any video?

Btw, I'm up the road a piece, in Venice.
I've sent back my earlier version of Inspire, T-600 model in favor of what you have there T-601 with 658-c radio. Hopefully to arrive this coming week. Nice flying, Big Balls using the Inspire. I use my Advanced model for
such long haul desolate never to be found areas. : )

Just curious, why flaunt flying outside of FAA regs? I have 20/10 vision and there is no way I can even see my Inspire after about 1000 ft. What's the point of flying that distance?

Not condoning such actions, but I assume DJI boasts flight distance in there advertising campaign for those areas of the world which permit such flying styles.
Personally, I believe the FAA regs where brought about to curb actions which jeopardized the safety of others, plain and simple.
Flying near or around airports, stadiums, above the max. specified altitude, and directly over people, and property. etc, etc, etc.

Flying out in desolate areas such as the dessert, open plains, and areas mentioned in the OP are not as critical should there be a failure of one kind or another and the model comes down.
Once again, I find much more serious concern and risk to the general public for example when manned aircraft strafe my home only feet above the rooftop spraying insecticide for mosquito control, but I agree. : )

Last edited:
Not condoning such actions, but I assume DJI boasts flight distance in there advertising campaign for those areas of the world which permit such flying styles.
Personally, I believe the FAA regs where brought about to curb actions which jeopardized the safety of others, plain and simple.
Flying near or around airports, stadiums, above the max. specified altitude, and directly over people, and property. etc, etc, etc.

Flying out in desolate areas such as the dessert, open plains, and areas mentioned in the OP are not as critical should there be a failure of one kind or another and the model comes down.
Once again, I find much more serious concerns at risk to the general public when manned aircraft such as single engine planes strafe my home only feet above the rooftop spraying insecticide for mosquito control, but I agree. : )
I agree but, the flight, by their own admission was "Flight was over water and mangrove islands. Pine Island sound, Florida." Granted, over water but, I still don't get the thrill of the death wish for gear or my future of flying. I'm currently flying in NW FL for some clients and did some beach runs today and like I said, my I1 was almost invisible at 1,000... Can't imagine 8 times that.

I agree but, the flight, by their own admission was "Flight was over water and mangrove islands. Pine Island sound, Florida." Granted, over water but, I still don't get the thrill of the death wish for gear or my future of flying. I'm currently flying in NW FL for some clients and did some beach runs today and like I said, my I1 was almost invisible at 1,000... Can't imagine 8 times that.
Quote: I still don't get the thrill of the death wish for gear.

To sum it up, that's why they offer both Vanilla & Chocolate flavors of ice cream.
To each his own. Again, personally I fly much better using the monitor, over direct line of sight, go figure.
Enjoy your stay in Fl., and watch out for the birds around the beach area, we don't want Green Peace coming down on us as well.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
Quote: I still don't get the thrill of the death wish for gear.

To sum it up, that's why they offer both Vanilla & Chocolate flavors of ice cream.
To each his own. Again, personally I fly much better using the monitor, over direct line of sight, go figure. ;) Enjoy your stay in Fl.
I was flying today in bright sunlight and I lost vision once I took a look at my tablet to make a photo.When I looked up I couldn't find the Inspire.Distance was just over 500 ft.
So I always use my monitor,much easier

Skynet1 this is not directed at you.. only Just to the negative critics that posted.

FORGET ABOUT ME POSTING ANYMORE OF MY TESTING WITH MY EQUIPMENT .

SECONDLY I HAD 2 GOOD FRIENDS ON THIER BOATS AT ALL 3 OF THE ISLANDS I FLEW OVER MAKING VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE CRAFT. ALL OF THEM FOLLOWED IT BACK TO THE HOME POINT ON THE RETURN.

THE TEST WAS OVER OPEN WATER, UNINHABITED ISLANDS, NO HOUSES, NO PEOPLE, ONLY FISH .

IM NO IDIOT. I WOULDNT PUT ANYONE OR PROPERTY IN DANGER.

GO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELVES.

I HAVE OVER 200 FLIGHTS WITH THIS INSPIRE OVER 600 FLIGHTS WITH MY OLD INSPIRE AND A CUMULATIVE 2000 FLIGHTS WITH MY PHANTOM(S) AND STILL HAVE ALL IN MY GARAGE WITH NO LOSSES OR CRASHES.

KINDA FIGURED THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN SOME NEGATIVE THINKING PEOPLE LURKING.

TYPICAL NEVATIVE COMMENTS FROM ANOTHER A FORUM SIGHT.

NO WONDER I DONT PARTICIPATE ON FORUMS.

Last edited:

What he did aside, anytime the Inspire is more than a few feet in the air, especially over water, its in a 'death wish' zone.

Reactions: Gary E
Just curious, why flaunt flying outside of FAA regs? I have 20/10 vision and there is no way I can even see my Inspire after about 1000 ft. What's the point of flying that distance?
They aren't regulations, they are recommendations. Big difference. And to answer your question, because we can. I flew mine just over two miles at night and with the led navigation lights I could still easily see it at that distance in the dark in the country without much other light interference.

Also I can see my inspire at a mile away during the day if I keep eyes on it constantly, but if I take my eyes off of it it's difficult to re aquire it visually. Helps if you're smart enough to remember what tree or something it's over for example and stop moving it before you look away, dang near impossible to spot it again at that distance if you don't, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary E
They aren't regulations, they are recommendations. Big difference. And to answer your question, because we can. I flew mine just over two miles at night and with the led navigation lights I could still easily see it at that distance in the dark in the country without much other light interference.

Also I can see my inspire at a mile away during the day if I keep eyes on it constantly, but if I take my eyes off of it it's difficult to re aquire it visually. Helps if you're smart enough to remember what tree or something it's over for example and stop moving it before you look away, dang near impossible to spot it again at that distance if you don't, lol
Actually, you are incorrect:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Skynet1 this is not directed at you.. only Just to the negative critics that posted.

FORGET ABOUT ME POSTING ANYMORE OF MY TESTING WITH MY EQUIPMENT .

SECONDLY I HAD 2 GOOD FRIENDS ON THIER BOATS AT ALL 3 OF THE ISLANDS I FLEW OVER MAKING VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE CRAFT. ALL OF THEM FOLLOWED IT BACK TO THE HOME POINT ON THE RETURN.

THE TEST WAS OVER OPEN WATER, UNINHABITED ISLANDS, NO HOUSES, NO PEOPLE, ONLY FISH .

IM NO IDIOT. I WOULDNT PUT ANYONE OR PROPERTY IN DANGER.

GO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELVES.

I HAVE OVER 200 FLIGHTS WITH THIS INSPIRE OVER 600 FLIGHTS WITH MY OLD INSPIRE AND A CUMULATIVE 2000 FLIGHTS WITH MY PHANTOM(S) AND STILL HAVE ALL IN MY GARAGE WITH NO LOSSES OR CRASHES.

KINDA FIGURED THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN SOME NEGATIVE THINKING PEOPLE LURKING.

TYPICAL NEVATIVE COMMENTS FROM ANOTHER A FORUM SIGHT.

NO WONDER I DONT PARTICIPATE ON FORUMS.
Dude,

You can do all the ALL CAPS typing you want. You outed yourself. LOS doesn't include others not at the controls watching for you.

Dude,

You can do all the ALL CAPS typing you want. You outed yourself. LOS doesn't include others not at the controls watching for you.

It's not a law. It is a guideline. The FAA can't make it a law they don't have jurisdiction and congress specifically forbid them from doing so in 2012 anyway.

Can they make your life miserable if they want to, yes. Generally speaking do people enjoy miserable lives, no.

But it's not a law you can't disagree with that fact.

Reactions: SultanGris
It's not a law. It is a guideline. The FAA can't make it a law they don't have jurisdiction and congress specifically forbid them from doing so in 2012 anyway.

Can they make your life miserable if they want to, yes. Generally speaking do people enjoy miserable lives, no.

But it's not a law you can't disagree with that fact.

There's no distinction between a law and an FAA rule. An argument based on semantics is not even applicable here.

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez