Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Phantom 4 pro vs Inspire 1 Pro X5

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone here give there opinion and suggest what drone would suit my needs for usage and value for money.

I will be using my drone for Inspections, Surveying and 3D mapping and would like room to get into photography and videography.

I'm currently looking at the Phantom 4 pro or the Inspire 1 X5 with lenses to suit. I like the option of having a zoom lens. I'm currently starting out and I have a budget.

Someone recently told me that the P4 can do just as much as the Inspire and that the inspire is a big waste of money because it doesn't have the redundancy to protect the expensive camera gear that it carries. He said the M600 is option better for carrying high end cameras and thermal cameras because of its redundancy.

What drone setup would work best for me?

All advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: ChrisG333
Hi Matt,

I'm here in QLD Australia and starting a drone service business mainly doing inspections, mapping, 3D modeling and catering to mostly to the construction industry (my existing customers).

I see your company is in the same industry.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some assistance and advice as it would be coming from someone who has the experience.

I already have a potential job to do industrial roof inspections for a client of mine.

What drone and camera set up can I get started with that would suffice for the work I want to do? I don't want anything over the top because I'm on a budget.

Firstly I was planing on getting an Inspire with the Z3 for zoom capability but seen on the forum lots of negative reviews saying it's a glitchy camera and no good for video, especially while zooming. Secondly, I was then looking into the X5 with a zoom lens but then was told that the bit rate is to slow for the zoom lens and to get a X5R to solve this problem (don't want to deal with more data to process).

Now, I'm thinking on just getting the P4 Pro for starters as I've been to numerous time that this drone is a work horse and would suffice for inspection type work. They only down side is no zoom.

Honestly, what is the bare minimum that I can get away with and still deliver a quality product/service to my clients. Would the P4P be great for starters????

The two main advantages of the P4P over the I1 with X5 is 1) Higher bitrate (more data recorded per second), 2) Battery life about 2x. Pictures and video options are more versatile on the X5 because of interchangeable lens and larger sensor. DJI failed by some measure when they restricted the bitrate of the X5 MFT lens. As for the inspire 2, its great if you have the money for the X5S, otherwise the P4P would be better if you want something new. I know, its a difficult decision.

Reactions: DigitalDrone
The P4P is a new UAV (just out in November), and some of your questions can't be answered yet. It is NOT the same as a P4. I recommend that you consider what software you are going to use, and see what works with it.

For mapping you will find that the camera points straight down, and some of the advantages of the Inspire gimbal won't matter. Contact the folks at Maps Made Easy and I think you will find that they like the results they are seeing from the P4P. For mapping you are going to be shooting stills, so a decent memory card means more than video bitrate.

For aerial thermography there is no substitute; you have to fly a FLIR camera, and that means big bucks. Currently the FLIR camera (a Zenmuse XT) only works on an Inspire 1. (Not Inspire 2, and not P4P). You will have to contact FLIR to find out whether the XT will someday fit on an Inspire 2. There are two resolutions 336x256 and 640x512 and many different lenses. FLIR Store Which one to get depends on (a) your budget, and (b) whether you need greater resolution.

From what I can tell, the P4P camera (the FC6310) is quite similar to the Zenmuse X4S, while the top of the line Zenmuse X5S only operates on an Inspire2, or an Inspire 1 v2 (which has a stronger motor).

You need to understand some of the differences between the platforms. The Inspire 1 and 2 have a 3 degree of freedom gimbal, so the craft can be flying north, for example, while the camera yaws to the east. This is really important stuff for video, absolutely not an issue for mapping. This also makes the Inspire (both models) really nice for panorama shooting. The Inspire has pivoting arms, which they rise out of the way of the camera. This makes clear shots at +30 pitch. The Inspire can utilize master/slave Remote Controllers. That might be a big item for you; one operator controls the aircraft and can watch for obstacles, while the second operator just handles the camera.

The P4P in contrast has a true 2 degree of freedom gimbal. To yaw the camera you have to yaw the whole aircraft. For that reason the panorama software Drone Pan is not yet compatible with the P4P, although it is "coming soon." The gimbal will pitch to +30 degrees, but a propeller will be in the picture. That may or may not be an issue. The P4P only handles a single controller (and be sure to not get the P4P+ which might not be able to operate your favorite third party app).

If you are really fixed on the idea of a zoom lens, then your best bet would be an Inspire with the DJI Focus accessory DJI Focus – Advanced, Precise Follow Focus System and two operators. If you get an Inspire 1 you have a pathway into aerial thermography.

The Inspire 2 has some really nice features for videography, and some obstacle avoidance features that sound essential, but are not must haves if you are using two operators, and the flight operator has some experience.

Reactions: DigitalDrone
Great input. I am in the same boat. I am looking at upgrading form a P3P to either an Inspire 1 with X5 or a P3P... both have advantages and disadvantage. Which is the best solution for cinematic shooting?

Can anyone here give there opinion and suggest what drone would suit my needs for usage and value for money.

I will be using my drone for Inspections, Surveying and 3D mapping and would like room to get into photography and videography.

I'm currently looking at the Phantom 4 pro or the Inspire 1 X5 with lenses to suit. I like the option of having a zoom lens. I'm currently starting out and I have a budget.

We went for an Inspire 1 Pro Black which we loved so much i sold that and bought the 2 for the added mp and battery redundancy.

The Inspire 1 Pro with 12mm Olympus lens will give you extremely good images for surveying and mapping (as thats the combination we and a lot of others use). It also depends on what processing software systems you will be using and processing, etc? What other equipment do you have in your line up for mapping ?

Great input. I am in the same boat. I am looking at upgrading form a P3P to either an Inspire 1 with X5 or a P3P... both have advantages and disadvantage. Which is the best solution for cinematic shooting?

Define "Cinematic shooting"

Feature Films and TV shows Inspire 2 with X5S. Local cable TV spots Inspire 1 X5 preferably X5R. Real estate web videos Inspire 1 X5 or P4P. Anything less and your are giving up quality to your competition.

Not just giving up quality, but devaluing your FUTURE work by devaluing the consumer market of content.

Hello,

Someone recently told me that the P4 can do just as much as the Inspire and that the inspire is a big waste of money because it doesn't have the redundancy to protect the expensive camera gear that it carries. He said the M600 is option better for carrying high end cameras and thermal cameras because of its redundancy.

What drone setup would work best for me?

All advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that the Phantoms are toys and clients won't appreciate you showing up with a toy.
A lot of filming involves "show" and how nice something looks.
If you charge a lot, they expect you to show up with something other than a drone that looks like a toy.
It may not perform like one, but that's another story.
I would never fly a Phantom again now that I fly the Inspire!

Reactions: EDDSkitz
Keep in mind that the Phantoms are toys and clients won't appreciate you showing up with a toy.
A lot of filming involves "show" and how nice something looks.
If you charge a lot, they expect you to show up with something other than a drone that looks like a toy.
It may not perform like one, but that's another story.
I would never fly a Phantom again now that I fly the Inspire!
Unfortunately, thats a very valid point - client perception is very important - someone who is charging a professional rate arriving with a Phantom (regardless of how good it is) will give the wrong impression. That unfortunately, is down to the massive marketing effort and response to the Phantom.

Reactions: EDDSkitz
I would've built my own if I could've, but even if I show up with a super awesome Octo that picks up babies, they still expect something like the inspires finished look.

Thanks guys. I decided to go with an Inspire. I like all the options on lens choices and the ability to have dual operators.

Hi everyone

I'm also in the process of trying to identify a reasonably priced aircraft for (mainly) still photography and mapping work. My budget only allowed for a P4P until yesterday when I was told another project cancellation meant there was a bit more money available. Not enough for an I2 but now I'm wondering about an I1 Pro instead! So a few questions to which I would really appreciate some answers and advice - thanks!

1. A fair bit of the potential work for this aircraft will be around the cliffs, harbours and estuaries of Dorset. One of my concerns was whether the P4P could handle the higher winds speeds typical of such areas. I haven't been able to find official ratings of max wind speed for either aircraft though I have seen a figure of 10 m/s posted as applicable for both. I assumed the I1 Pro would be able to tackle higher wind speeds than the P4P - any real world experiences please?

2. Bluelight used an I1 Pro for mapping, but with an Olympus lens. It is looking unlikely I'll have enough to get that too (at least for a while - I think any spare cash will have to go on batteries!) so would I get acceptable images for mapping using the DJI lens that comes with the X5? I assume this was done using a third party app - do all the popular ones still support the I1 Pro?

3. A 15mm lens is very wide angle so am I right in assuming that the distortion has to be rectified by the post-processing package? It looks like this may be Pix4D (as it now appears all PP work will be done by another part of the organisation) - is this an issue?

4. One of the reasons the P4P looked good was all the safety features built into it. Would you recommend the retro-fitted FPV camera be fitted to the I1 (like the one sold by Heliguy) as I see this is a feature of the I2, or is it large enough that it remains reasonably easy to follow within the 500m VLOS limit here in the UK?

5. Finally; is the I1 Pro the v1 or v2 version of the Inspire 1; or does the Pro bit just refer to the camera and they are all v2?!

Thank you in advance for your help

Bob

...while the top of the line Zenmuse X5S only operates on an Inspire2, or an Inspire 1 v2 (which has a stronger motor).

Did I read this correctly? Will the X5S work on the Inspire 1 v2? I currently have an X3 camera and want to upgrade but putting all that money into a X5 which is old technology now seems somewhat foolish.

I do not see an Inspire 2 as an affordable option for me.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I'm also in the process of trying to identify a reasonably priced aircraft for (mainly) still photography and mapping work. My budget only allowed for a P4P until yesterday when I was told another project cancellation meant there was a bit more money available. Not enough for an I2 but now I'm wondering about an I1 Pro instead! So a few questions to which I would really appreciate some answers and advice - thanks!

1. A fair bit of the potential work for this aircraft will be around the cliffs, harbours and estuaries of Dorset. One of my concerns was whether the P4P could handle the higher winds speeds typical of such areas. I haven't been able to find official ratings of max wind speed for either aircraft though I have seen a figure of 10 m/s posted as applicable for both. I assumed the I1 Pro would be able to tackle higher wind speeds than the P4P - any real world experiences please?

2. Bluelight used an I1 Pro for mapping, but with an Olympus lens. It is looking unlikely I'll have enough to get that too (at least for a while - I think any spare cash will have to go on batteries!) so would I get acceptable images for mapping using the DJI lens that comes with the X5? I assume this was done using a third party app - do all the popular ones still support the I1 Pro?

3. A 15mm lens is very wide angle so am I right in assuming that the distortion has to be rectified by the post-processing package? It looks like this may be Pix4D (as it now appears all PP work will be done by another part of the organisation) - is this an issue?

4. One of the reasons the P4P looked good was all the safety features built into it. Would you recommend the retro-fitted FPV camera be fitted to the I1 (like the one sold by Heliguy) as I see this is a feature of the I2, or is it large enough that it remains reasonably easy to follow within the 500m VLOS limit here in the UK?

5. Finally; is the I1 Pro the v1 or v2 version of the Inspire 1; or does the Pro bit just refer to the camera and they are all v2?!

Bob

I can only speak to the characteristics of the aircraft. The Inspire handles wind significantly better than the phantom, which also tends to get the props in the picture in windy or gusty conditions, or aggressive maneuvering. The V2 has a wider gimbal mount, and upgraded motors/ esc's. With the x5 camera (Pro), it also has landing gear extensions. Obstacle avoidance is less about safety and more an effort to idiot-proof the drone unless you are only flying it forward or in a direction the sensors are facing. (I could not, would not, should not, blindly trust obstacle avoidance when flying the aircraft.) The fpv camera is mostly useful with dual controllers which is beneficial when tracking a subject with the camera slewing independent of the aircraft. If/ when this is necessary, it requires a dedicated camera operator and a drone pilot, effectively doubling the manpower required to perform a task. It is also a form of obstacle avoidance that is beneficial for working close to structure. I'm sure some would say a second pilot/camera operator isn't necessary with this configuration, and they may be correct if you have a program like litchi where the camera can identify and track a subject independently, allowing the pilot to focus primarily on the fpv camera and flying.

I treat my Inspire like a phantom in the sense that I yaw the aircraft to face the subject. The trade-off being that, without fpv camera, I'm less aware of surrounding structure, but more aware of how the aircraft will respond to lateral control inputs.

Hi everyone

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg