Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Potential bug in firmware v01.01.0200

Reaction score
I have posted this under New FW Thread but it got somehow lost down there. Because it is important I am posting it again in a New Thread. I hope I am not in breach of rules here..
This is potentially another bug in the latest FW, at least for x4s. The Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode slider does absolutely nothing. I assume it should determine how loosely or strictly the gimbal follows the craft movement when yawing. The x4sfollows now the craft in FollowMode very sharply and strictlywhether this parameter is set to 0 or 100 or anything in between and that is not right at all! Do not confuse this with Yaw Movement Limit which sets the rate of spinning of the craft. When set to 0 the craft will not yaw at all even at full stick deflection. At 100 the craft will spin rapidly and this feature works fine.

Reactions: MrTVR
it actually controls the aircraft yaw response when the gimbal is set in follow mode. if you set it to 0, then there's no damping/smoothing, if you set it too high or at 100, then the aircraft won't yaw. As you increase the value above 40 towards 100 the aircraft begins to respond with quite some delay or as if it's drunk. This value only affects the aircraft/gimbal when the gimbal is in follow mode, if it's in free mode or the aircraft is flying in ATTI mode, it has no effect. I can't remember if it functions in sport mode...most likely it does.

The other value you name, Yaw movement Limit, affects the yaw in all modes, sport, atti , normal free/follow.

I haven't updated firmware yet, and I've a x5s, so I can't say if it's broken for you :(

Last edited:
Reactions: cvanhoose
I have posted this under New FW Thread but it got somehow lost down there. Because it is important I am posting it again in a New Thread. I hope I am not in breach of rules here..
This is potentially another bug in the latest FW, at least for x4s. The Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode slider does absolutely nothing. I assume it should determine how loosely or strictly the gimbal follows the craft movement when yawing. The x4sfollows now the craft in FollowMode very sharply and strictlywhether this parameter is set to 0 or 100 or anything in between and that is not right at all! Do not confuse this with Yaw Movement Limit which sets the rate of spinning of the craft. When set to 0 the craft will not yaw at all even at full stick deflection. At 100 the craft will spin rapidly and this feature works fine.
I have deleted your other post and let this one run as it is a dedicated thread for your identified issue.

I have also added the version number to the thread title.

Please also note Nicks post above - it is a yaw response adjustment and not gimbal.

it actually controls the aircraft yaw response when the gimbal is set in follow mode. if you set it to 0, then there's no damping/smoothing, if you set it too high or at 100, then the aircraft won't yaw. As you increase the value above 40 towards 100 the aircraft begins to respond with quite some delay or as if it's drunk. This value only affects the aircraft/gimbal when the gimbal is in follow mode, if it's in free mode or the aircraft is flying in ATTI mode, it has no effect. I can't remember if it functions in sport mode...most likely it does.

The other value you name, Yaw movement Limit, affects the yaw in all modes, sport, atti , normal free/follow.

I haven't updated firmware yet, and I've a x5s, so I can't say if it's broken for you :(
I am sorry

I am sorry for contradicting you but you are wrong

I have deleted your other post and let this one run as it is a dedicated thread for your identified issue.

I have also added the version number to the thread title.

Please also note Nicks post above - it is a yaw response adjustment and not gimbal.
I am sorry for contradicting you but you are wrong on this one. It was before as you say but they must have changed it in the latest FW. It is now exactly as I stated it in my thread. It does not control the yaw responsivenes of the craft in Follow Mode. In fact it does absolutely nothing, with my x4s at least. No matter if it is set to 0 or 100 the aircraft behaves the same and the gimbal too.

Last edited:
No probs, like I said, I haven't updated yet and probably won't for a little while as I can't flight test it as I've bad weather forecast :(

Sometimes mismatches can arise between firmware and Go 4 app settings during updates, so before deciding that DJI have screwed up the firmware again here's a few things you could try which might have an impact on the behaviour you're experiencing (order of increasing severity):
  • Double check you've updated to the latest version of DJI Go 4.
  • Try deleting the DJI Go 4 app from your tablet, restarting your tablet and re-downloading the DJI Go 4 app from the app store. Make sure you sync your flights to the DJI server (if that's how you keep logs), and also make a note of your Go 4 settings before you delete the app. You can resync your logs back again after downloading the app if you want to.
  • Use Assistant 2 to reset the Inspire 2 settings to Factory Defaults. It won't reset the firmware level, just any settings stored inside the I2 itself.
  • Reinstall the firmware update again using the tablet or Assistant 2 (see below).
  • If the behaviour is critical to you and none of the above fix it, then only option left is to downgrade the firmware back to the previous version that is available to you - either do it through Assistant 2, or by starting DJI Go 4 and holding down the 3 -'s in the top right of the first screen. That brings up a firmware page on the tablet showing your current version and any options for updating/downgrading.
Hope one of those helps you out!

(BTW, can you see any damping/delayed reaction whatsoever on the gimbal yaw if you lift off and just give the I2 slight yaw left/right? Not on the video feed - watch the gimbal itself.)

Thank you kindly, I can certainly try all that. As for your last question, the gimbal is following the craft very strictly, almost like there is no yaw motor there but fixed connection. Interesting is that when I move the craft by holding it in my hand the gimbal reacts to yawing with delay as it should. But as soon as I take off the gimbal is almost locked in direction of the craft and strictly follows the craft. It makes the panning moves very harsh in video.

No probs, like I said, I haven't updated yet and probably won't for a little while as I can't flight test it as I've bad weather forecast :(

Sometimes mismatches can arise between firmware and Go 4 app settings during updates, so before deciding that DJI have screwed up the firmware again here's a few things you could try which might have an impact on the behaviour you're experiencing (order of increasing severity):
  • Double check you've updated to the latest version of DJI Go 4.
  • Try deleting the DJI Go 4 app from your tablet, restarting your tablet and re-downloading the DJI Go 4 app from the app store. Make sure you sync your flights to the DJI server (if that's how you keep logs), and also make a note of your Go 4 settings before you delete the app. You can resync your logs back again after downloading the app if you want to.
  • Use Assistant 2 to reset the Inspire 2 settings to Factory Defaults. It won't reset the firmware level, just any settings stored inside the I2 itself.
  • Reinstall the firmware update again using the tablet or Assistant 2 (see below).
  • If the behaviour is critical to you and none of the above fix it, then only option left is to downgrade the firmware back to the previous version that is available to you - either do it through Assistant 2, or by starting DJI Go 4 and holding down the 3 -'s in the top right of the first screen. That brings up a firmware page on the tablet showing your current version and any options for updating/downgrading.
Hope one of those helps you out!

(BTW, can you see any damping/delayed reaction whatsoever on the gimbal yaw if you lift off and just give the I2 slight yaw left/right? Not on the video feed - watch the gimbal itself.)

The gimbal reacts differently when the aircraft is not actively flying and the gimbal yaw smoothness in Follow Mode setting isn't activated until the aircraft is in flight, that's why you're seeing the difference between holding it and flying it.

Hopefully you'll find one of the suggestions above fixes it for you.

Ok. Thanks for pointing that out. I am syncing my flight records now and will reinstall everything to the latest FW including GO4. Weather is good here, so I should be able to test fly it over the weekend if not today...
The gimbal reacts differently when the aircraft is not actively flying and the gimbal yaw smoothness in Follow Mode setting isn't activated until the aircraft is in flight, that's why you're seeing the difference between holding it and flying it.

Another thought, you have tried resetting the exp/sensitivity settings to default... iirc, there's an option to reset them at the bottom of the screen that you adjust them on.

Also, set gimbal yaw smoothness in Follow Mode to 70 or 80 and try turning the I2, it should react very sluggishly if the setting is working, switching mode to atti or the gimbal to free should then let the I2 yaw normally.

OK, I did the firmware update today and did some test flights as the weather turned out better than expected. Latest firmware and DJI Go 4 version on iOS with X5S. All updates went without incident (although it took more like 30 minutes rather than the 10 mentioned in Assistant 2).

You're right, it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything any longer o_O

And, they've moved it back from the Gimbal Advanced Settings screen to the Aircraft Advanced Settings-Sensitivity settings screen in Go 4. Probably a regression bug aka someone in DJI Go 4 dev dept used an out of date bit of code or library :oops: Might get fixed with a Go 4 update, or it may be down to firmware...

So I guess that just confirms that it is a bug. I did what you have suggested but I am yet to test fly. Anyway, are you now gping to revert to the previous FW to find out if it is FW or GO4 causing it?? I am not sure if you can go back with GO4 App to previous version though. Look forward to hear of your findings if you revert.
M.
OK, I did the firmware update today and did some test flights as the weather turned out better than expected. Latest firmware and DJI Go 4 version on iOS with X5S. All updates went without incident (although it took more like 30 minutes rather than the 10 mentioned in Assistant 2).

You're right, it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything any longer o_O

And, they've moved it back from the Gimbal Advanced Settings screen to the Aircraft Advanced Settings-Sensitivity settings screen in Go 4. Probably a regression bug aka someone in DJI Go 4 dev dept used an out of date bit of code or library :oops: Might get fixed with a Go 4 update, or it may be down to firmware...

I've an older version of the app on my phone I think so I could try that to see if there's a difference , but tbh I'll probably stay on the latest firmware unless I find other bugs. I had the gimbal follow smoothness set pretty much at 0 anyway, so I'm not seeing much difference in my shots at the moment.

I went out for 2 flights yesterday with the Inspire 2 and X5S after the update to .0200, all is working as expected. I am having no issues with the current firmware. I will be out today continuing more tests and will report back if I find any issues. I did notice that the camera settings are still not being saved as wanted. ie. Follow mode/Free mode.

So I guess that just confirms that it is a bug. I did what you have suggested but I am yet to test fly. Anyway, are you now gping to revert to the previous FW to find out if it is FW or GO4 causing it?? I am not sure if you can go back with GO4 App to previous version though. Look forward to hear of your findings if you revert.
M.
If you're finding the gimbal smoothing isn't enough for you on the latest firmware, then one thing I notice was that slowing down the Yaw Movement Limit towards 50 slowed down the yaw rate of the I2 & that would help make moves more fluid. Going the other way up to 250 meant that the I2 almost turned instantly on the spot o_O

HI, I have exactly the same issue on Crystalsky with DJI GO 4.2.4 with I2 Aircraft Firmware: V01.01.0300, the Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode slider does absolutely nothing, I'm very disappointed, I was so happy when this setting arrive for the solo pilot, I was waiting years for this feature, and now it doesn't work any more ! **** !

HI, I have exactly the same issue on Crystalsky with DJI GO 4.2.4 with I2 Aircraft Firmware: V01.01.0300, the Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode slider does absolutely nothing, I'm very disappointed, I was so happy when this setting arrive for the solo pilot, I was waiting years for this feature, and now it doesn't work any more ! **** !
Welcome to the DJI Club of mostly happy but occassionally annoyed customers:mad:. This has been reported several months ago among many other little and big annoyancies but DJI seems to have other priorities than fixing bugs or taking on board what we have been asking for for over a year!!! Like the stupid shared memory for Photo and Video camera settings. It has been there since day one and a full year later it is still there...

Last edited:
Hi is the new Firmware out today 2018.07.18, V01.02.0200, fix this issues ? anyone tested ? Feed up that DJI don't back this feature !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool