Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Programmed pan for timelapse?

Reaction score
Hi all,
Contemplating buying an Osmo, so I'd like to know if this facility is available. I'm sure it must be, but can't find a reference to how it's done anywhere. Can anyone point me to a tutorial, and maybe some sample footage? Thanks in advance,

Sean

Ooft. A platform with pan/tilt, and timelapse capability, which can't do both at once? Programmably?
That is seriously missing a trick.
I use a dslr on a iOptron Skytracker to do timelapse milky way sequences - I was really excited about the possibilities of the Osmo, but if this kind of functionality is not available, I won't be buying.

The Osmo wouldn't be ideal for pan/tilt time-lapse. With a wide-angle lens, the amount of movement over a couple of hour time period would be infinitesimal for each move-stop-shoot sequence. The gimbal motors are not designed for an accurate and tiny movement that would be required for a stable time-lapse. Even for stationary time-lapse, the Osmo has perceptible movement (and flicker, but let's not go there) that needs to be dealt with in AE or another program.

The reason that time lapses with 2- or 3-axis step motors work is that they are step motors, meaning that have reduction gears that allow tiny but accurate adjustments to pan and tilt with each move-stop-shoot sequence.

Since you have a DSLR, get a rail system like Dynamic Perception and get pro results.

The Osmo wouldn't be ideal for pan/tilt time-lapse. With a wide-angle lens, the amount of movement over a couple of hour time period would be infinitesimal for each move-stop-shoot sequence. The gimbal motors are not designed for an accurate and tiny movement that would be required for a stable time-lapse. Even for stationary time-lapse, the Osmo has perceptible movement (and flicker, but let's not go there) that needs to be dealt with in AE or another program.

The reason that time lapses with 2- or 3-axis step motors work is that they are step motors, meaning that have reduction gears that allow tiny but accurate adjustments to pan and tilt with each move-stop-shoot sequence.

Since you have a DSLR, get a rail system like Dynamic Perception and get pro results.

what do you mean the motors can do small movements? thats pretty much a must for any gimbal system. as with everything DJI just do basic app everything else is left up to developers with the SDK, we just need someone to add that to an app (wink wink flightlogic)

Are the gimbal motors not steppers then? I must admit, I have no experience with gimballed cameras whatsoever.

My hope was to supplement my dslr shooting with the osmo, by, for example, setting up a pan/tilt sequence to take the camera from one horizon to the other via, say, 2 or 3 waypoints, with smoothed cornering at each, and interval-timed raws along the way, to assemble into a timelapse in post. This could be done with a dslr, but the mount needed would be heavy, and I want something I can shove in a backpack, or at least take on a flight as hand luggage. I fancied the osmo for the vehicle mount ability, and hoped it might do double duty.
Not to worry; 'twas a passing fancy...

what do you mean the motors can do small movements? thats pretty much a must for any gimbal system. as with everything DJI just do basic app everything else is left up to developers with the SDK, we just need someone to add that to an app (wink wink flightlogic)

I guess it depends on the quality of the product you're hoping to achieve. The Osmo takes low-quality Jpegs and processes them in camera to assemble into a timeline. The result is a time-lapse sequence that suffers from flicker, slight but perceptible movement between frames and suffers from short battery life. Fine for a posting on social media, but that's about it.

Using a DSLR on a 2- or 3-axis system (possibly using a rail system as well) by taking RAW or smallRAW photos, and processing in LR or similar program, then taking out the flicker with LRTimelapse software, results in TL sequences that can be incorporated in a 4K timeline with stunning results. You get what you pay for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo