Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Purchasing decision: Inspire Pro or RAW

Reaction score
Evening all. I'm new to the forum and DJI. I'm on the verge of purchasing an Inspire yet I'm torn between the pro and the raw. I'm aware of the technical differences in the camera's etc but I was hoping for some real-world feedback from people who've used them. The raw would be great for colour grading and post production but the sheer scale of the raw data it would produce would slow down workflow. Not to mention a second SSD is well north of £1000. If I'm not using the footage for commercial purposes (I'm not) then would there be many advantages in buying the raw?
Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big question is how much better is the X5 over the X3. The answer is greater depth of field with optics and more details. How much better depends on what you are looking at. With 60mbs bitrate, 8bit color, H264 codex, that really limits the X5's ability.
I think you should check out some of the workflows people are using with the Raw (i.e. Proxies, etc). I think some people have figured out how to reduce the time and scale of the effort.
Purchasing tip: buy the I1 v2 barebones (on sale from DJI) then purchase the camera and remote as accessories with an educational discount (20% off!!). If you're not a student, find a friend or relative that is!!! You can buy the whole unit with the educational discount, but only at 10% of total.

The big question is how much better is the X5 over the X3. The answer is greater depth of field with optics and more details. How much better depends on what you are looking at. With 60mbs bitrate, 8bit color, H264 codex, that really limits the X5's ability.
I think you should check out some of the workflows people are using with the Raw (i.e. Proxies, etc). I think some people have figured out how to reduce the time and scale of the effort.
Purchasing tip: buy the I1 v2 barebones (on sale from DJI) then purchase the camera and remote as accessories with an educational discount (20% off!!). If you're not a student, find a friend or relative that is!!! You can buy the whole unit with the educational discount, but only at 10% of total.

Thanks for the reply. My PC is a new high-end setup so with regards to being able to process the huge amounts of data from the SSD, that's not too much of an issue. Plus the workflow shouldn't be slow due to system limitations. I was just the sheer size of the files it would output. It's good to hear about the discount. I do have a few friends who are students so I'll look into that. The X5R was my compromise instead of going for the Matrice 600 with the Ronin MX. Which in essence isn't that much more expensive. I just want a camera that's capable of cinematic footage and that has the same features as the Inspire/phantom/Matrice

If you're not using it commercially get the X5

Thanks for the reply. I did think that to be honest. Thing is, if the X5R was a huge leap forward in terms of image quality then it would be easier to justify.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe123