Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question on Advanced Settings for X5S

Reaction score
After reading the manual I cannot find any explanation of advanced settings for +EXP, Smoothness, Pitch/Yaw speeds etc. Is there an article on this? I spent about an hour looking for this info and cant find it.

I'm also looking for recommended gimbal settings for speeds to give a "cinema like" speed of camera.

I do apologize if this post exist already, I however could not find it... and I did look.

I've heard where people like to use 7 seconds or longer in panning across a frame, maybe longer with the 45mm to avoid the jerkiness in panning. Slow goes it!

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Thanks for the links. Basically I'm looking for a detailed explanation of of the advanced gimbal settings for Pitch, Yaw, EXP, Smoothness, etc.

something like this?
EXP (Exponential Curve):
upload_2018-2-7_12-0-11.png

EXP values reflect the logical relationship between the control stick movements you make and the feedback from the aircraft. The X-axis represents how much the control stick is being pushed, and the Y-axis represents the amount that the aircraft responds based on the adjusted EXP value.

You will see this one on the link FlyaDrone posted above. This one is a really good and simple explanation

After reading the manual I cannot find any explanation of advanced settings for +EXP, Smoothness, Pitch/Yaw speeds etc. Is there an article on this? I spent about an hour looking for this info and cant find it.

I'm also looking for recommended gimbal settings for speeds to give a "cinema like" speed of camera.

I do apologize if this post exist already, I however could not find it... and I did look.
It’s really a matter of what you’re trying to shoot. Personal tastes require different settings for whatever you’re looking for with each particular picture/video. I usually try to keep all my settings on the slow side just because I like having a smooth transition. I am not going to be specific with all the different expo/gain/gimbal speeds, etc. because it would just take too long to write them down on here. The best thing I can tell you is fly with different settings and then see which ones fit your particular flying style. It’s all about the practice my friend.

I thought the OP was asking about the X5S settings, not drone settings. In order to achieve what he wants he does not need to even fly the drone. On the ground with props not attached for safety just play with all the sliders for all three axis of gimbal/camera movements and move the relevant controls on your controller to see how the camera responds. Start with moving the cursor to extreme ends on the sliders and then find your own spots somewhere inbetween. When you are happy how the camera moves, you are done and you can go flying. It is really as simple as that.

Last edited:
I thought the OP was asking about the X5S settings, not drone settings. In order to achieve what he wants he does not need to even fly the drone. On the ground with props not attached for safety just play with all the sliders for all three axis of gimbal/camera movements and move the relevant controls on your controller to see how the camera responds. Start with moving the cursor to extreme ends on the sliders and then find your own spots somewhere inbetween. When you are happy how the camera moves, you are done and you can go flying. It is really as simple as that.
You’re correct about not having to fly the drone but practicing his/her flying skills is the only way to get better at everything that involves the drone, camera settings, A/C settings, etc.

You’re correct about not having to fly the drone but practicing his/her flying skills is the only way to get better at everything that involves the drone, camera settings, A/C settings, etc.
I was just trying to help the OP and perhaps also correct some replies which were a bit off topic and talking about drone, not gimbal settings. Setting the advanced gimbal controls to achieve movements to suit the OP is easier on the ground/bench or 'kitchen table' than during the flight and that is what I was trying to convey. You are 100% correct about practicing, that goes without saying;)

I was just trying to help the OP and perhaps also correct some replies which were a bit off topic and talking about drone, not gimbal settings. Setting the advanced gimbal controls to achieve movements to suit the OP is easier on the ground/bench or 'kitchen table' than during the flight and that is what I was trying to convey. You are 100% correct about practicing, that goes without saying;)
I understand we’re both trying to help whoever it is asking the question. What’s OP stand for anyway? Operating Pilot? Probably a stupid question but it’s a new one for me. I am used to PIC or something different than that.
I think we both gave them some good advice.

I understand we’re both trying to help whoever it is asking the question. What’s OP stand for anyway? Operating Pilot? Probably a stupid question but it’s a new one for me. I am used to PIC or something different than that.
I think we both gave them some good advice.
OP stands for the Original Poster. No harm done by providing all the support we can give to those who ask.

OP stands for the Original Poster. No harm done by providing all the support we can give to those who ask.
Ok now I got it. And yes I agree with ya about giving all the help we can. I remember when I first started to fly my drone and it was overwhelming at times trying to figure everything out. Camera settings, expo, gain, throttle, braking, were all things that I had no clue about what they were and only by asking a bunch of questions from forums and other places did I start to understand it all. It has taken me almost a year to even begin to get a grip on it all. So it’s very nice to be able to give back to people who are searching for answers on Inspire Pilots!! :)

Ok now I got it. And yes I agree with ya about giving all the help we can. I remember when I first started to fly my drone and it was overwhelming at times trying to figure everything out. Camera settings, expo, gain, throttle, braking, were all things that I had no clue about what they were and only by asking a bunch of questions from forums and other places did I start to understand it all. It has taken me almost a year to even begin to get a grip on it all. So it’s very nice to be able to give back to people who are searching for answers on Inspire Pilots!! :)

I totally agree with you about trying to learn all the different aspects of camera settings, aircraft settings, etc.
It’s very overwhelming at first but after awhile you get the hang of it.

Reactions: slim.slamma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry