Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Really disappointed I2 range...

Reaction score
I recently bought my first I2 and was very excited to get it. However, I have since been extremely disappointed in its range and ability to maintain a decent signal, even at relatively close distances, ie, 1500ft.

I find that as soon as it goes out of direct line of sight, ie, behind a house or behind some trees, the signal starts fading.

Anyone else have that problem?

I recently bought my first I2 and was very excited to get it. However, I have since been extremely disappointed in its range and ability to maintain a decent signal, even at relatively close distances, ie, 1500ft.

I find that as soon as it goes out of direct line of sight, ie, behind a house or behind some trees, the signal starts fading.

Apart from the fact that you should never be flying out of sight (a whole new discussion), it's just the nature of 2.4ghz/5.8ghz RF propagation. To enable better penetration through tree cover/building etc a lower frequency would be better suited (like 900mhz) which the I2 does not allow.

There are also other threads covering this subject matter...

I can't comment on letting your bird loose your LOS, but my I2 does that range easily. There are many factors that could be contributing to signal loss. Are you the same flight at the exact time of year as other drones you have flown to have something to compare. I have flown the exact same mission at different times of year and seen up to 30% difference in signal strength. Foliage, atmospheric conditions, other RF influences, and there are many. Do you have any baseline to support your claim?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
The location where you fly has a big part to do with it. In a wide open space with no houses or trees your distance will be much better. If you do lose signal strength climb higher it usually helps signal strength.

It’s funny. I have an I2 and have never had a range problem out to 2500 feet. My phantom four has had many issues at much closer ranges

The location where you fly has a big part to do with it. In a wide open space with no houses or trees your distance will be much better. If you do lose signal strength climb higher it usually helps signal strength.
I have the same problem I thought it was my first i2 but when I had to buy my 2nd one it's still the same problem. I bought the cendence remote control with the patch antenna and i thought that would solve the problem but it's still the same and I was getting 12 to 13 Satellites and it would say poor signal and I had the GPS module so I'm using that also but I'm not getting that much farther range but I still highly recommend it because the GPS module is given me 17 to 20 Satellites and it's only $35 dollars. I think the problem is that their's a lot of trees and sometimes I have interference with metal but I don't have a lot of power lines and I should not have this problem. The i2 is not really a drone for flying that far it's manly for high quality video footage and it should be enough to get video footage in places where you can't get any other way. Just give a little advice and letting people know that they are not going to get the range they think they should be getting. All the i2 are going to get about the same distance and their's nothing wrong with your drone. Take care and I hope this helps anyone.

Interesting issue. I have pushed my I2 to about 1800' (300 AGL) and then start to have issues. That is about the end of LOS anyway. Concur with Joe, the I2 is for high quality shooting. It is not really a machine for distance. Not to mention that anyone who is trying to go the limits as advertised by DJI is out of compliance with the FAA. In all honesty when I sort of hit the wall at 1800' that was no big deal since I would be out of compliance with LOS regs and have no project plans that would require that kind of distance. I did do some long flights with my I1 a couple of years ago filming wheat combines on some huge and remote Montana fields, but that is the only time I have really ever needed some distance. I will say that my Mavic can get out there a ways with little effort.

That's what I was saying that you never get the distance they advertise but I have the maxx mod with the 3 different antennas and I can go great distance but I only done it 2 times and had to make sure I could see it. It's to bad they went out of business. The i2 could never get that type off distance and I don't like to fly any of my drones that far because you never know what could go wrong and lose them. I have a large rc plane and I still gave had a chance to fly it and I have had it for 5 years. I know that I would be able to see that for a very long distance. The problem is their's not many places to fly. I want to use my inspire for lots of places I would like to film but I don't want any problems. Take care and good luck with your i2.
Interesting issue. I have pushed my I2 to about 1800' (300 AGL) and then start to have issues. That is about the end of LOS anyway. Concur with Joe, the I2 is for high quality shooting. It is not really a machine for distance. Not to mention that anyone who is trying to go the limits as advertised by DJI is out of compliance with the FAA. In all honesty when I sort of hit the wall at 1800' that was no big deal since I would be out of compliance with LOS regs and have no project plans that would require that kind of distance. I did do some long flights with my I1 a couple of years ago filming wheat combines on some huge and remote Montana fields, but that is the only time I have really ever needed some distance. I will say that my Mavic can get out there a ways with little effort.

The maxx mod is for my mavic pro I don't think that I mentioned that.
That's what I was saying that you never get the distance they advertise but I have the maxx mod with the 3 different antennas and I can go great distance but I only done it 2 times and had to make sure I could see it. It's to bad they went out of business. The i2 could never get that type off distance and I don't like to fly any of my drones that far because you never know what could go wrong and lose them. I have a large rc plane and I still gave had a chance to fly it and I have had it for 5 years. I know that I would be able to see that for a very long distance. The problem is their's not many places to fly. I want to use my inspire for lots of places I would like to film but I don't want any problems. Take care and good luck with your i2.

If it stop raining long enough this is my long range go to spot
Wide open, and all for me, at 3+ plus I normally start heading back. No wind, so today should be a good test day
image.jpg

Reactions: Joe Perez

Like The Editor said, it's quite normal when there's an obstacle between AC and RC. I bet you'll get a decent range while maintaining LOS. Usually the higher you fly, the better transmission will happen. Yesterday I've made 5 km flight one way in a remote mountain valley, but there was nothing to mess with signal.

No. I own an i2 and a mavic 1 pro and a phantom4pro.. Did multiple tests, since I use mp to scout around,then use i2 for record footage.well on a saved mission,saved waypoints, same range and so.... i2 often having bad signal...the RC works perfectly, has been checked. While mP rocks. And that's since latest update (i2). I fly in vlos or blos with help from a colleague. I'm very disappointed about it..then I've started reading forums...yes latest update make signal weaker. At least chitchat in Facebook groups...I start to believe it.but that's not the point. The point is that m1p that I use for fun gives me more satisfaction than inspire2...wich I use for work. What's wrong with it?
Like The Editor said, it's quite normal when there's an obstacle between AC and RC. I bet you'll get a decent range while maintaining LOS. Usually the higher you fly, the better transmission will happen. Yesterday I've made 5 km flight one way in a remote mountain valley, but there was nothing to mess with signal.

thing is that i've put a building between me and the bird.

well you shouldn't do this.... we all know as pilots.

but there are some situations..where you're "forced" to do it for example, as videomaking needs.

i use the old mavic pro scouting for any signal issues/loss (its quicker than check manually with tools and inspection) ..and...well mavic pro ..managed very well, without signal loss video and aircraft control was perfect. .....the i2 did auto RTH after video signal loss in a matter of seconds no time to recover.
the aircraft/RC has ben checked by dji and its all good.

guess the signal is weaker since the update, latest i did or what?

the distance was about 40 ft, not much, but thick building between me and both aircrafts.

i've also tested it above sea, and yes the i2 works well. no signal issues.

some people that owns i2 keep sayng that i2 has weaker signal...i did not believe it...and it is lame once you see it by yourself.

but for reasons...its still an awesome bird and still pretty well portable and i do not want abandon that precious tool..

that is just a complaint wic h i find ashamed to say...i2 after all its not cheap stuff, money doesnt grow on tree you know (yet lol)

Last edited:

yea a friend told me that raptor antenna rocks for i2.

thank you!

An antenna can only do so much as it is only part of the equation.
Don't expect miracles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo