Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

remote id

Reaction score
Website
www.martinezaerial.com

FAA Announces Effective Dates for Final Drone Rules​

The final rules requiring remote identification of drones and allowing some flights over people, over moving vehicles and at night under certain conditions will go into effect on April 21, 2021.
Remote identification (Remote ID) requires identification of drones in flight as well as the location of their control stations or takeoff point. It provides crucial information to our national security and law enforcement partners, and other officials charged with ensuring public safety. Airspace awareness reduces the risk of drone interference with other aircraft, people and property on the ground.

Anyone has the scoop on Remote ID for DJI drones?

Which Drone Pilots Must Comply With the Rule?​

All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft.

RID is still a ways out.

Reactions: dkotinsky

From the FAA;

Effective Dates
Almost all of the final rule on remote ID becomes effective April 21, 2021. The subpart covering the process for FRIA applications from community-based organizations and educational institutions becomes effective September 16, 2022.

Here are other dates of note:
  • September 16, 2022:
    • Drone manufacturers must comply with the final rule's requirements for them.
  • September 16, 2023:
    • All drone pilots must meet the operating requirements of part 89. For most operators this will mean flying a Standard Remote ID Drone, equipping with a broadcast module, or flying at a FRIA.

Which Drone Pilots Must Comply With the Rule?​

Thanks. The date above came from the FAA website. Confusing.

You bet. My post was from the same FAA page you linked, just farther down. The effective day is when the ball starts rolling. But operators won't have to comply with RID for about 3 years.

I think DJI drones beginning with the P4 and the I2 could probably comply with a FW update. What dji chooses to do we will have to wait and see. But, it is reported that inexpensive modules that could fulfill the requirement perhaps will be available if not. The manufactures have to incorporate RID into their craft much sooner.

FAA Announces Effective Dates for Final Drone Rules​

The final rules requiring remote identification of drones and allowing some flights over people, over moving vehicles and at night under certain conditions will go into effect on April 21, 2021.
Remote identification (Remote ID) requires identification of drones in flight as well as the location of their control stations or takeoff point. It provides crucial information to our national security and law enforcement partners, and other officials charged with ensuring public safety. Airspace awareness reduces the risk of drone interference with other aircraft, people and property on the ground.

Anyone has the scoop on Remote ID for DJI drones?
Anyone can can join from anywhere?

The FAA rules are specific to the United States. My understanding is that the Remote ID, Take off Location, Altitude, Flight Direction, Purpose of Flight, Etc. will all be broadcast on a 2.3Ghz frequency. From what I've Read, DJI and other manufactures are planning on using the existing radio equipment, and add the ID reporting requirements to the existing telemetry stream so for most current, existing equipment, no additional modules would be required, just a possible firmware update. This has the added benefit of no additional cost to the existing model and no ongoing monthly bill for cell coverage.

For other models that are too old, i.e., RC Planes, and Heli's meeting the weight requirements, you will have to add a Remote ID module or possible a newer receiver with the remote ID capability. If you currently have 1 FCC ID for all of your equipment, then you can share the module with other models since it will be broadcasting the same ID. Basically, one module for each ID unless multiple models would be flying simultaneously sharing the same ID.

While this isn't great it seems like a decent compromise considering the FAA's original plan.

Once filed and approved, sanctioned flying sites will be exempted, like your local club's flying field, so any member models flying there wouldn't need the remote ID module unless they fly anywhere outside of the flying field.

The one bummer that I see is that if an individual has his/her own UAS airstrip, to qualify that airstrip use for their own enjoyment, they would be required to allow others to use it. That of course adds the issue of liability and availability to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD