Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Remove geofencing?

Reaction score
Website
www.ctmphotovideo.com
So AOPA is having an event at my local airport. I'm working for the local news and with the airport manager to fly my inspire at the event. Everything has the thumbs up but I'm running into dji's geo fencing.

Is there a way to disable this feature? I was told DJI can't allow me access but dealing with them seems like a headache.

A shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

So AOPA is having an event at my local airport. I'm working for the local news and with the airport manager to fly my inspire at the event. Everything has the thumbs up but I'm running into dji's geo fencing.

Is there a way to disable this feature? I was told DJI can't allow me access but dealing with them seems like a headache.

A shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
This has been covered many times before on this forum.
Have look using the search facility and there are numerous threads explaining how to go about temporarily lifting the NFZ restriction.
Basically, you will need to contact DJI, give them various written documents and if satisfied they will supply you with a modified DJI Go app which you will need to load to overcome the NFZ for that location only.
You are unlikely to be granted lifting of the zone unless you are commercially certified and can show a valid reason and written permission from the airport/aviation authority that you have permission to fly there.

Can't you just turn geofencing off in the goapp? I thought I saw it there a week ago.

I think was you saw was just a way to turn off the "warning areas". If you want to fly in a totally restricted zone (red circle, not yellow) you need to jump through all the DJI hoops.

I just wish that they would come out with a way to remove all geofencing for FAA approved operators. Then we wouldn't have to go through all of this.

Reactions: SanCap
I think was you saw was just a way to turn off the "warning areas". If you want to fly in a totally restricted zone (red circle, not yellow) you need to jump through all the DJI hoops.

I just wish that they would come out with a way to remove all geofencing for FAA approved operators. Then we wouldn't have to go through all of this.

Now that I think about it, it must have been there, I asked and received permission for 2 flights within 3 miles of Class C airspace from approach control at FMY. I remember the notice popping up and tapping on it to agree. Then started my flight. This was less than 2 weeks ago.

hasn't someone hacked this stuff yet?
And what happens if there's an accident and the FAA finds out you're running a hacked firmware on a commercial operation? Your insurance will probably use that as a loop hole to deny coverage too. It may not be easier than other potential workarounds, but it's definitely in the best interest of you and your buisness should something unfortunate happen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you are flying commercial and have all the certs, start planning. Get yourself lined up with Flysafe and your basics all done.
When you need a red zone, it will go a lot faster. Just email them and they are relatively easy to work with.
As a professional UAS pilot, we should all be very methodical and detailed in what we do. Just like pilots and engineers. Cheers!

There is an easy way of removing the geofencing. But before a tel you, you have to know that if you do this an fly in a restricted area, you are doing it illegally and against regulations.. and in case of an accident you will probably loose insurance coverage. So don't do stupid things!

But if you consider that it's ok to do it, it's on you. I take no responsability on what happens if anybody uses this trick.

Having that said. It's as easy as puting some aluminum tape or covering with aluminum foil the "head" of the inspire 1. More or less on the top wide part where the legs are attached to the body. That will cover the GPS anthena. You won't be able to fly on GPS mode, obviously, but you will on ATTI mode where ever you whant. You will loose the Return To Home function as well!!

There is an easy way of removing the geofencing. But before a tel you, you have to know that if you do this an fly in a restricted area, you are doing it illegally and against regulations.. and in case of an accident you will probably loose insurance coverage. So don't do stupid things!

But if you consider that it's ok to do it, it's on you. I take no responsability on what happens if anybody uses this trick.

Having that said. It's as easy as puting some aluminum tape or covering with aluminum foil the "head" of the inspire 1. More or less on the top wide part where the legs are attached to the body. That will cover the GPS anthena. You won't be able to fly on GPS mode, obviously, but you will on ATTI mode where ever you whant. You will loose the Return To Home function as well!!
This has been covered many times previously.
The danger with doing this is the aircraft can on occasions still get a GPS 'fix' via multipath and receive a valid signal from the underside of the UBLOX antenna.
This will immediately cause the aircraft to decend and land if it is in a NFZ.
I do not recommend this 'work around'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters