Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reporting "commercial" UAV use

Reaction score
So I'm debating reporting a few companies i know of who fly Phantoms as "professionals" as part of their business. THese guys are idiots and shouldn't be flying commercially. I've got to the FAA site a few times to report them but every time get concerned that somehow they'll find out who reported them, and I don't need that in my life. It says anonymous, but it still requires an email, so I made a new email, but still worry.

Has anyone made a report on the FAA site, any issues?

And is this the proper page? Don't see a specific UAV hotline page.

You can probably also contact your local FSDO.

Even if they can't definitively attribute it to you, they may suspect. But, if you believe it's wrong - stand up for it if your confronted. As Calvin's dad always said, "It build character." Ha!

Don't worry it will be reports as Anonymous. The FAA is the only one that see the email and they just reply letting you know they got the submission and are taking action. The company you reported will never see it.

Personally, I wouldn't report it unless you feel that there is a potential danger to other human beings, not including the pilots themselves of course.
So I'm debating reporting a few companies i know of who fly Phantoms as "professionals" as part of their business. THese guys are idiots and shouldn't be flying commercially. I've got to the FAA site a few times to report them but every time get concerned that somehow they'll find out who reported them, and I don't need that in my life. It says anonymous, but it still requires an email, so I made a new email, but still worry.

Personally, I wouldn't report it unless you feel that there is a potential danger to other human beings, not including the pilots themselves of course.

I've got to the FAA site a few times to report them but every time get concerned that somehow they'll find out who reported them, and I don't need that in my life. It says anonymous, but it still requires an email, so I made a new email, but still worry.

Note that even if the form is really anonymous if unlicensed companies start falling like dead flies around you they'll for sure look at the (likely small) number of listed licensed ops in the region and quickly figure out who that's coming from.

Note that even if the form is really anonymous if unlicensed companies start falling like dead flies around you they'll for sure look at the (likely small) number of listed licensed ops in the region and quickly figure out who that's coming from.
Especially having made the post on here to announce the OP's intentions to the world.
If you want it to be annonymous then make a fake account for asking questions with, and tie it to a fake email.
dont forget to use a VPN when making both fake accounts, and wear a tinfoil hat.

seriously though, if its just a guy trying to make a buck, perhaps give him a break. If there is someone clearly making a fortune and willingly risking peoples wellbeing then go for it and report them.
If no one is being endangered, then why worry? After all, a lot of laws are made so that governments can profit from people breaking them. The governments are far more guilty that any drone user of endagering peoples lives and doing shady stuff. Id give the little man a break.

seriously though, if its just a guy trying to make a buck, perhaps give him a break. If there is someone clearly making a fortune and willingly risking peoples wellbeing then go for it and report them.
If no one is being endangered, then why worry?

And that is not the way to go, it breeds a society that simply thinks the rules don't apply, and then you will have people who would of done it 100% legally can't afford to because the work is cheaper from unlicensed operators.

I get that a one off, you may get away with a warning, if they are consistently doing so, then the risks are inherently dangerous for other operators in many different ways, including liability insurance costs.

What would happen if an unlicensed operator who had purchased insurance had an accident, the payout could potentially be so much more, and that will affect everyone legal...!!!

REPORT IT...!!!

Reactions: DennisR

According to a FOIR a few months back it was other operators dropping the dime on other operators that was quoted as the main source for FAA investigations into commercial drone use.

Great way to shut down your competition or Craigslist $50/job operators cutting into your profit margin.

Report away!

And that is not the way to go, it breeds a society that simply thinks the rules don't apply, and then you will have people who would of done it 100% legally can't afford to because the work is cheaper from unlicensed operators.

I get that a one off, you may get away with a warning, if they are consistently doing so, then the risks are inherently dangerous for other operators in many different ways, including liability insurance costs.

What would happen if an unlicensed operator who had purchased insurance had an accident, the payout could potentially be so much more, and that will affect everyone legal...!!!

REPORT IT...!!!

I have to agree with this, I'm all for anarchy and sticking it to "the man", but there has to be a line.

I have spent a fair amount to get my business going, only to run out of money before being able to complete my practical exam and apply for permission. I wouldn't dream of charging for work, safety issues that result in further obstacles for others, insurance problems, undercutting the certified guys who have invested time and money into getting themselves trading.... etc etc etc. I'm now scraping every penny in order to get qualified and it won't be any time soon. In the mean time I will continue to offer my services for free and build experience and improve safe practices. That's just the way it goes.

And this is coming from a guy who refuses to pay his parking tickets :)

Reactions: lake_flyer
The world is becoming more horrendous as we move along. I was turned in and received a letter even though we were insured, fly with permits, permission by authorities and were not charging for events that benefited charity, and our 333 has been filed 2 months ago. Were there a few "bumps :) sure like in any other business there are bumps, cheaters, jerks. This one is a tough one because as it was mentioned Karma comes every day. IMHO if someone is endangering my family, on my property, or stealing from my business in my area I would definitely think about it. I have always lived to mind my own business, because there are NO angels left in the world in anything, not just AP. So if you turn someone in is it worth the risk of the Karma? Some peoples Karma scales differently than others. My conference call from my attorney is this Friday. My chops are licking, not for turning someone in, but getting the FULL explanation on my letter and trying to do the right thing so my wife and I can continue doing something we love to do. So in my final word if its worth saving the world against the big bad AP guy who is ruining it for everyone, than do it. Just remember that if you are not an angel and might have questionable "hobbies" :) be prepared for your turn possibly from the wrath of karma. (This is a friendly response to the titled thread, Enjoy the imaging. It does bring people happiness in their lives :) ) Kevin

Last edited:

I'm not sure it would matter. I found a company who has their exemption and on their docket page a user submitted that they committed fraud using a forged 333 exemption. They also showed that the owner of the company is an unlicensed pilot although he claims otherwise and they were still granted exemption.

Snitches get stitches. Besides it's not an enforceable law anyway. Don't be that guy, nobody likes that guy.

Why wouldn't you report it? I paid to have my license.,Why shouldn't they?

Reactions: Goodwinml and timax
Especially having made the post on here to announce the OP's intentions to the world.
If you want it to be annonymous then make a fake account for asking questions with, and tie it to a fake email.
dont forget to use a VPN when making both fake accounts, and wear a tinfoil hat.

If no one is being endangered, then why worry? After all, a lot of laws are made so that governments can profit from people breaking them. The governments are far more guilty that any drone user of endagering peoples lives and doing shady stuff. Id give the little man a break.
I wouldn't. He knows full well he needs a license and he is competition so I would report him right away. of course he is out to make a buck. Same as the rest of us that are licensed. These guys charge nothing while people like me pay 10k for license to make money. I will dob in anyone I know that is not licensed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk