Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Returning to the fold

Reaction score
. I have had several different Inspire 1s and moved on to the Inspire 2. While I liked many things about it, it's cost took the fun out of flying it. They say to never put anything in the air that you can't afford to lose. Well, I can't afford to lose $6K! As careful as one can be, there are outside forces that can bring these down. Bird strikes, battery failure, etc.

So, I sold the I2. Did well and didn't lose much money.

. I took the proceeds and got a P4P obsidian and a Mavic Air. Love them both. With the remaining $ I have bought a Brand new Inspire 1, V2.0. I will use a Z3 camera on it, as this was my favorite before. So, I will sell off the X3 that comes with it. Got a great deal from BuyDig. (Great company to deal with) All told, after selling the X3 I will have $1900 in the rig.

. Total cost of the fleet is still under what I had in the I2!

. I am not bashing the I2. It is a great platform. Just more than I need. I operate strictly as a hobbyist and have no desire to move on from there. (Some restrictions that I don't care for under 107)

. New bird arrives tomorrow and Z3 later in the week. Looking forward to putting an I1 back in the air.

29_2x.gif

. Anyone wanting a brand new X3, drop me a line. This is brand new, never out of it's box. $350 shipped within the 48 states. Paypal only, so we are both protected.

I haven't seen nor flown the Inspire 2. The Inspire 1 does enough for me. It is fast enough and flys further than I'd probably ever go. Parts are still expensive (to me) so I am careful with it.

I have now seen two inspire 2 birds in person, and while I would love to get an inspire 2 I have an inspire 1 as well as a Mavic Pro. It is very hard for me to justify the upgrade at this point. I'm only just now getting back into my Inspire 1 with the purchase of new carbon fiber folding rotors (which just arrived today). I forgot that I should have put my batteries on charge to have it ready to go once the install is done. Anyway both birds are just fantastic and fun to fly, each with advantages over the other and combined I just don't feel I have the need to upgrade to the inspire 2.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
That is great judgement @AeroMirage and a nice decision you have made. I totally understand the mentality given there was not a dire need for the higher end film capabilities of the I2. No need for sweaty palms if a job isn't demanding it, fly something you can ENJOY! :D DJI has made plenty of options in the consumer/prosumer lines that can be enjoyed far more for recreational use! Safe flying!

Bird arrived FINALLY!!!!
After 5 days of delivery "attempts".
FexEx kept coming very late, after 7:00 pm or trying to deliver to abandoned building across the street.
I'm glad I used my work address and it is surely a Good thing signature was required!!
It took a call to FedEx last night and opening a complaint to get the driver to look on the right side of the street.
32_2x.gif

Anyway, it made it and in great shape in Factory sealed box.
The big plus is this had to be a recent production run because it has the 1345LS prop locks installed on it!
Date on Label is 2018/2. Only 2 months ago!!
29_2x.gif

Charging and updating everything now. Maiden flight tomorrow right after work.
Update: Thought I would have to update everything. FW was latest, RC required nothing. Only thing it asked to update was the flysafe database. Kewel!!

Last edited:
It is hard to get $6k in the air unless you have licenses, which are transferable anyway. So you are quoting a “loss”price that includes advanced recording codecs that the I1 doesn’t have.Or you're putting an X7 in the air, a capability that the I1 also doesn't have. If you don't need the capabilities of the I2 it's a lot of unnecessary money in the air.

That being said, I completely agree with the “sweaty palms” feeling when flying the I2. That’s why we got hull insurance on all 3 of our I2 rigs. We’ve already used 2 of the 6 incidents we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lesmess
I got my I1 May 3 2015 and I'm still loving it. I have bought and resold 2 other units for different reasons. I will never part with Daffy 2 (I1's name and Daffy 1 is my airboats name) it may part from me and I won't shed a tear. I will buy a Mavic Pro 2 when they come out because it will be a better drone to follow my boat.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Ive also had my i1 from early on and I can't justify upgrading to an i2 although I'd certainly love to .Perhaps when they drop in price I'll obtain one. Rumor is i3 will fly 77 mph.. That I'll have a hard time passing up.
I have an i1 with a z3 and love it along with my pro,air and spark..
Good times...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa