Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Risk Assessments

Reaction score
Good morning again,

How much detail do you need to go into when preparing your risk assessment prior to each job? If I was to account for every eventuality I can think of then these could easily span several pages. I know your risk assessments are specific to each job and what your aircraft MTOM / complexity / type of area you will be flying in.

Thanks.

Good morning again,

How much detail do you need to go into when preparing your risk assessment prior to each job? If I was to account for every eventuality I can think of then these could easily span several pages. I know your risk assessments are specific to each job and what your aircraft MTOM / complexity / type of area you will be flying in.

Thanks.
I'm a bit concerned that your NQE was (is) totally useless - they should have taken you through multiple simulated mission planning scenarios (this is usually a heavily covered section on the course for obvious reasons) and part of mission planning would be the risk assessment matrix.

Site surveys and risk assements can only really be completed once on site - there could be a crane appeared in the last 24 hours for instance or a school bus could turn up although some of the 'ground work' can be completed using Google Earth etc.

You cannot take into account EVERY eventuality but it is all about identifying the pertinent risk areas and minimising those risks.
My risk assessments have never gone over one page and my site surveys usually consist of a quick sketch of the flight area with highlighted areas I should be mindful of (overhead wires etc)

I'm a bit concerned that your NQE was (is) totally useless - they should have taken you through multiple simulated mission planning scenarios (this is usually a heavily covered section on the course for obvious reasons) and part of mission planning would be the risk assessment matrix.

Site surveys and risk assements can only really be completed once on site - there could be a crane appeared in the last 24 hours for instance or a school bus could turn up although some of the 'ground work' can be completed using Google Earth etc.

You cannot take into account EVERY eventuality but it is all about identifying the pertinent risk areas and minimising those risks.
My risk assessments have never gone over one page and my site surveys usually consist of a quick sketch of the flight area with highlighted areas I should be mindful of (overhead wires etc)

No need to be concerned as this was covered in detail during my course. Thanks for the information. Just having a bit of pre-first job anxiety and making sure I have dotted all the i's and crossed the t's etc etc...

No need to be concerned as this was covered in detail during my course. Thanks for the information. Just having a bit of pre-first job anxiety and making sure I have dotted all the i's and crossed the t's etc etc...
Ah - Gotcha.

Yup, the first one is always the most nerve wracking - just make sure your hands don't shake when they're on the sticks !! :p

Reactions: Peeliewally
Ah - Gotcha.

Yup, the first one is always the most nerve wracking - just make sure your hands don't shake when they're on the sticks !! :p
I've done all my pre-site visit and spoken in detail with the client and they are very nice and know exactly what they want. It's good that it is a rural site as it makes things that bit easier to plan.

I echo The Editor's comments re a single sheet for a Risk Assessment. You can get too tied down to try and cover 'every eventuality' (which you cannot cover by the way). Look at it as 'what if....' In fact there are only a few 'what if' occasions - there just happens to be many thousands of variations... Mechanical faliure, site incursion (at ground or at height / human or animal or aircraft), illness, cover the basics for me (you will never be able to cover the specifics of each until they happen!). I do use Google Earth (Pro - as it has a ruler plugin), for the pre site survey, and can give a potential client a quick 'no' if the postcode sits beside the M25! If filming residential properties, with the requisite permissions and distance to take off (30m) in place, I also letter drop any properties that may be affected by the flight - this works well (for me) and provides an additional marketing tool...
Fly safe - Mike

I echo The Editor's comments re a single sheet for a Risk Assessment. You can get too tied down to try and cover 'every eventuality' (which you cannot cover by the way). Look at it as 'what if....' In fact there are only a few 'what if' occasions - there just happens to be many thousands of variations... Mechanical faliure, site incursion (at ground or at height / human or animal or aircraft), illness, cover the basics for me (you will never be able to cover the specifics of each until they happen!). I do use Google Earth (Pro - as it has a ruler plugin), for the pre site survey, and can give a potential client a quick 'no' if the postcode sits beside the M25! If filming residential properties, with the requisite permissions and distance to take off (30m) in place, I also letter drop any properties that may be affected by the flight - this works well (for me) and provides an additional marketing tool...
Fly safe - Mike

Thanks for your reply. That's very interesting. There are properties >50m away from where I'll be flying so it will probably be good to inform them that I'll be flying in the vicinity on the dates agreed with my client.
Have you ever had any people refusing or concerned about what you are doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not at all, I aways knock to try and engage also - people are fasinated and as I have said I have picked up work as a result of the face to face / letter drop. Being as transperant as you can will alay fears. FYI I also wear my company logo top with hi-viz for the letter drop - appears professional...

Good luck

Mike

No, not at all, I aways knock to try and engage also - people are fasinated and as I have said I have picked up work as a result of the face to face / letter drop. Being as transperant as you can will alay fears. FYI I also wear my company logo top with hi-viz for the letter drop - appears professional...

Good luck

Mike

How far in advance are you doing this?

likelihood Vs Consequence.

Personally I would write out my own risk assessment with all the eventualities that are likely then provide a blank section for what can be done to lower these, 1 Generic risk assessment that can be filled in for each and every job.

You need to give people a chance to reply... I would always give 24hrs and when the client says 'I need this this afternoon' I simply say 'No' and give my rationale and explain my Ops manual (site survey and letter drops). That gives them confidence. If they then don't want my services...... No probs....
Taking (the British) weather into account I always give the a window of when I expect to fly. I always state a potential start and end date and if that covers a weekend I say that I will not fly on a Sat and Sun. This is because my company would never cover a residential property (good time for commercial...) over a weekend - but they see it as further evidence of respecting privacy.

Mike

likelihood Vs Consequence.

Personally I would write out my own risk assessment with all the eventualities that are likely then provide a blank section for what can be done to lower these, 1 Generic risk assessment that can be filled in for each and every job.

Thanks. I'll do that. Very good idea.

You need to give people a chance to reply... I would always give 24hrs and when the client says 'I need this this afternoon' I simply say 'No' and give my rationale and explain my Ops manual (site survey and letter drops). That gives them confidence. If they then don't want my services...... No probs....
Taking (the British) weather into account I always give the a window of when I expect to fly. I always state a potential start and end date and if that covers a weekend I say that I will not fly on a Sat and Sun. This is because my company would never cover a residential property (good time for commercial...) over a weekend - but they see it as further evidence of respecting privacy.

Mike

That's good. I've got plenty time to get things organised. Just hoping we get some calm and dry weather over the next few weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters