Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Roll balance & Gimbal Cal's

Reaction score
So, new X5r, stock 15mm, and roll balance is out by quite a bit towards the camera left (away from the tilt motor)

Ive also noticed i need to do a gimbal calibration every 3-4th flight, not something i experienced as much with the old x3. This might be an x5 thing i havent experienced yet..?

I havent had too many issues with horizon/roll being off while in the air, when I have noticed it, ive done a gimbal cal which fixes it straight away.

While flying yesterday in follow mode I yaw'd extremely fast to repo and the gimbal freaked out and roll went right out. It did fix itself however about 3-5 seconds..

So im wonder if anyone else has experienced any of these issues with the x5r? I can easily enough balance out the gimbal but id rather get it replaced by DJI if there is a major issue.

Cheers

hey joe,

i just got an inspire raw and i noticed the same major roll disbalance. how did you solve this problem? i really dont feel like to "repair" a major $$$ gimbal buy sticking coins to it. dji is supposed to deliver well balanced gimbals in my opinion!

hey joe,

i just got an inspire raw and i noticed the same major roll disbalance. how did you solve this problem? i really dont feel like to "repair" a major $$$ gimbal buy sticking coins to it. dji is supposed to deliver well balanced gimbals in my opinion!
But DJI have no idea what lens you will put on your X5(R) so it can't possibly pre balance in all seceanrios.
Even high end gimbal carrying Arri's or F55's need to be manually balanced first using sliding mounts before hoisting them skyward.
If the rig then lands and a different lens is put on the whole balance sequence has to be done again.
That's just the way gimbals work.

I had the same issue with my X5R gimbal and original 15mm MTF lens, fixed with tape and one coin (1 NOK).

It is weird that DJI says nothing about this in the manual, and also the manual states i.e:
Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f1,8
- no need for dji balancing ring
- need a 10g filter
- and no lens hood to balance

I have to:
- add a coin to the side of the motor with tape to balance the roll axis (with original 15mm MTF to)
- add a filter AND a lens hood in order to balance the tilt axis.

Not what you would expect...hope the coin doesn´t ruin anything and stays on...

Looking forward to finding a good workflow for the RAW material!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry