Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rookie Question

Reaction score
Can someone please help me as I've been reading several different forums and I'm confused on this point on the new Inspire 1.

I can only afford to buy the Inspire 1 with one single remote. If I am up in the air say 300 feet and hovering in one place, can I pan the camera 360 degrees (or any degree) without turning the unit or can this only be done with 2 remotes?

I would not plan on flying and panning the camera at the same time but I want to know if I can do it if I am at a standstill (hovering ) in GPS mode.

I was so excited when I read everything about the Inspire 1 and being able to pan the camera but now I think that I will not be able to do that with a single remote.

Someone please let me know the correct answer. Thx!

It's everyone's understanding at this point that independent control of the camera (beyond tilt) can only happen with the second controller. But if you really are intending to hover and pan, it should be just as easy to do it with the Inspire as you can with the Phantom (which is very smooth and stable, provided you have good control of the stick).

Thx Morgon! That was one of the main functions I liked about the Inspire 1 and wanted to buy one. Now I'm not so sure.

I bought the second remote so I can do more advanced controlling of the camera..just find a buddy and get it with 2 remotes.
You can still fly it alone with one remote by changing the slave,master setting.

That setting will be in the app, to designate which of two controllers is master and which slave.

For clarity: the controller designated "master" controls flight and the "slave" controls the camera. The controllers are identical so each one can serve in either role.

It was stated that DJI "might" make panning possible with one remote in the future....I for one hope so as i have no use for two controllers.

I don't understand why not being able to pan the camera with single operator is an issue for anyone. I mean, I just pan the craft if I need to.

Reactions: ctp
I don't understand why not being able to pan the camera with single operator is an issue for anyone. I mean, I just pan the craft if I need to.
Yes, of course, that is what we all do now with a phantom. But one of the perceived advantages of the Inspire was the added panning ability not available on the phantom. However the catch as point out here is, it requires 2 people to do it. At first I was really ready to jump on it, but, now, since I travel mostly alone, it is a show stopper for me.

its not a showstopper for me...but certainly disappointed and don't understand the logic ....except to sell extra controllers....

I agree Khudson7....I might as well just stick with my Phantom if I cannot control both with one controller. I too always go by myself and especially do not want to have to rely on someone else.

Yes, but WHY do you need to be able to pan the camera? You don't say why it's a necessary feature with a single operator.

Yes, but WHY do you need to be able to pan the camera? You don't say why it's a necessary feature with a single operator.
Because panning (yawing) the craft is NEVER as smooth or controllable as panning a gimbal.
When you yaw a quad no matter how nimble and gentle you do it there are outside influences acting on the stability of the craft in the air. Couple this with the fact that on a 3D gimbal, the yaw follow mode operates around a 'deadband' area which buffers normal aircraft rotation and you have a delicate balancing act of speed of yaw verses gimbal interaction of it trying to come back to centre position.

If you put the quad into a hover AND THEN rotate the camera you are freed of any algorithms acting in the gimbal fighting you to come back to centre point - i.e... Perfectly smooth pans at whatever speed you want with a ramp up or down of speed at will.

I fear DJI may well NOT introduce this feature via a single TX for fear of sales dropping on the second controller !!

Reactions: Phantom2inVA
There is another reason: safety. It is difficult enough to get disoriented when yawing. Add to that camera panning and you can completely lose track of your direction, especially because there is only one camera.

By separating it into two controllers each person has a role and while the controller will look at a map, the camera operator will look at the camera. Makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jonathanivy
Because panning (yawing) the craft is NEVER as smooth or controllable as panning a gimbal.
When you yaw a quad no matter how nimble and gentle you do it there are outside influences acting on the stability of the craft in the air. Couple this with the fact that on a 3D gimbal, the yaw follow mode operates around a 'deadband' area which buffers normal aircraft rotation and you have a delicate balancing act of speed of yaw verses gimbal interaction of it trying to come back to centre position.

If you put the quad into a hover AND THEN rotate the camera you are freed of any algorithms acting in the gimbal fighting you to come back to centre point - i.e... Perfectly smooth pans at whatever speed you want with a ramp up or down of speed at will.

I fear DJI may well NOT introduce this feature via a single TX for fear of sales dropping on the second controller !!
I agree 100%...this is about sales NOT safety...

Reactions: ctp
From the beginning, I did not understand why DJI would deny a single user panning feature, especially considering that a 360 pan was a tremendous benefit of the new design with suspended camera. Lack of camera panning defeats the purpose of the design. We'd be back to yawing the craft as with the old P2V design.

Note however that DJI has stated that they will accommodate single user panning. Effectively, one of the rear remote control buttons can be programmed to toggle the tilt dial between tilt (current default) and pan. You will therefore be to tilt and pan, but not simultaneously. I suspect that, with practice, we'll get used to it.

I questioned why they couldn't permit the right wheel control (currently for camera settings) to toggle into tilt, and they responded that it is not a potentiometer and therefore can't be used for that purpose. They can also enable panning through the app, but I d prefer to keep my hands on the RC and use the tilt wheel.

I bet we'll see a future remote with a pan potentiometer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantom2inVA
If you can pan a camera while flying the bird, you are a better operator than I. I had a Zenmuse Z15 for my Nex5 as I thought the pan axis would be useful for single operator. I couldn't do it when flying as it was so disorienting so I only ended up using it when stationary. At that point it became pointless so I sold it about bought a 2-axis gimbal instead. The money I saved paid for a whole bunch of other gear.
Tbh, I couldn't care less whether the Inspire had a 2 or 3 axis gimbal. I understand why it's 3-axis for the dual operator pros but for people like me, 2-axis is all I need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84