Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rrsolved & Corrected - Inspire 2 Internal SSD Drive Chamber (slot) not working

Reaction score
Inserting the SSD into I2 Drive Slot, not recognized.

Have 2x Inspire 2, and 2x 480GB SSD's.
Noticed a short time back, a message in Litchi stating the SSD was not present. Wasn't needing the SSD at the time so didn't pay much attention.
Later, I found the SSD is not being recognized when inserted into the SSD Slot. As a test, I checked in PC Reader and card is readable. Next, Inserted into the 2nd I2 and card was recognized and was able to format. Placed it back in 1st I2 and still not recognized. I tried the 2nd 480GB SSD with same results.

That rules it down with quick diagnostics, to the Internal Drive Bay within the I2. Which is part of the Battery Mount Assembly, which I've changed 12-18 months ago for not ejecting or retaining Batteries.

Question to the Group: Anyone experience similar? Was a Battery Mount Assembly or the Circuit Card behind the Mount... or something else?

The cable harness that connects the SSD socket end (within the slot) to the cinecore module is made up of extremely fine wires. They are shielded but still extremely fragile. Since you had the machine apart in that area it seems likely you could have damaged one or more of the wires. It might also be worth checking if the socket end is seated properly within the frame. As I recall there are slots that hold/align the socket end but perhaps it’s misaligned somehow. Look into the slot with light to judge if socket is square and no debris is blocking any contacts.

The cable harness that connects the SSD socket end (within the slot) to the cinecore module is made up of extremely fine wires. They are shielded but still extremely fragile. Since you had the machine apart in that area it seems likely you could have damaged one or more of the wires. It might also be worth checking if the socket end is seated properly within the frame. As I recall there are slots that hold/align the socket end but perhaps it’s misaligned somehow. Look into the slot with light to judge if socket is square and no debris is blocking any contacts.
Great suggestions, I was planning to take it apart for 2 reasons: 1) to inspect, 2) replace the battery module if needed.

I had visually inspected the SSD slot, very clean and can feel it easily connect. Plus I can still hear the very slight change in power & fan when SSD is plugged in... present on all I2's.

I've replaced the battery module in several I2's (a few not mine) and normally careful on wires and small looms.

The battery module was replaced almost 2 yrs ago, and the SSD worked nicely until recently.
I doubt my connections were omitted or misaligned, but chafing or pinch could increase over time... so worth a good look!

Another repair I had forgotten about was the Ft Belly Fan (squealer on startup). I had assumed a quick swap that was more entailed, substantial takedown to allow removal of fan wire connector involving the main module area. I'll examine that area too.

Great suggestions, Thanks!
I'm leaning to battery module or chafed wires.

Corrected!
Disassembled I2 to remove Battery module. Inspected cables & wires: no pinch, chafing, or bad connectors. Removed the Battery module... all looked great and SSD cable routed nicely.

Poped off main unit's side panel and thought I felt a slight downward movement on SSD micro connector when checking connection. Removed & examined micro connector... reinstalled with positive connection.

Reassembled the craft, installed Camera & SSD.
Powered up and tested with all things working as normal. The SSD showed and indicated correct size. Was able to format SSD without issues.

I assuming when I added the Ft Belly Fan in Late Winter I may have tugged the SSD cable and strained it's connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar