Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Second pilot, search and rescue system

Reaction score
This is a post to gauge interest.

I would like to know if people would be interested in a second pilot camera gimbal system.
The idea being that it would be for night operations for search and rescue etc.
would have a low light CCD camera, IR thermal camera and powerful flashlight.

It would need to be on 5.8 for video, 2.4ghz for control and powered from a battery that would give approx 1 hr and would be removable.

The problem is that in my head it seems like a good idea. but when pricing it, it would need to cost around 1k USD without the RC controller or video screen.

Would this be of any interest to people?

Reactions: SkySight
Dont think you can get something like that for under 1k.. morw like 2 k at least

I agree that 1k is a tough price bracket to meet, the FLIR camera obviously cannot be amazing for that price,
I just wonder if anyone would be interested in it if it were to exist for that price.

I would absolutely be interested in both FLIR and Thermal camera systems. I am going through my local Home Land Security/FEMA CERT training as we speak. Their Search and Rescue teams are wanting to enlist my services for this exact need.

I am currently using Inspire 1 but have intents to move to S1000+ for heavier payload ability for dropping rescue lines and medical packages to survivors.

This sector doesn't have a profit but offers excellent exposure for local government contacts to enlist your sevices for profit. It also helps evangelize and showcase the merits of UAVs in first responder situations.

So yes, I am interested in both camera systems.

This is a post to gauge interest.

I would like to know if people would be interested in a second pilot camera gimbal system.
The idea being that it would be for night operations for search and rescue etc.
would have a low light CCD camera, IR thermal camera and powerful flashlight.

It would need to be on 5.8 for video, 2.4ghz for control and powered from a battery that would give approx 1 hr and would be removable.

The problem is that in my head it seems like a good idea. but when pricing it, it would need to cost around 1k USD without the RC controller or video screen.

Would this be of any interest to people?
Moose, is there anyway to PM on here? I'd like to talk with you directly maybe on the phone about this. If you are on Facebook just go to mine, like it, and then you can message me directly if thats okay with you? Then I'll get you my telephone number. I'm in Dallas. Our Facebook is just facebook.com/skysightfilms
Needless to say, yes I'm interested. :) Thanks

Been there, thought that, and thought about it so more, then tried it but it is a fail.

Though it sounds very appealing it would be very difficult and $$$ to just get it running nicely with an IR because you would need to run a separate 5.8 transmitter as the FLIR Vue is the most practical one out there.

The worst part would be the effect of reduced flight time.

I do have a Feiyu Mini 3 and 2 axis that will not get used and would be perfect if you still want to pursue a separate gimbal system for the I1.

PM me if anyone is interested.

1uas has a full thermal system for the inspire...right now you can only get it with an inspire but they told me they will be offering it as a kit to purchase.

Personally I'd rather just have a phantom with a thermal solution than a bunch of different cameras for the inspire (not that it isn't cool)

I have come to a better understanding of the uses and requirements of thermal imaging. Based on industry needs and demands I see the use of thermals on Phantoms and Inspire for that matter is a total waste of $$$.

If you look at a truly built SARs or industrial thermal drones these bad boys are up to and over 10K+ range. Plus they have a flight time of over 30+ minutes. Some are even over an hour!

A1 FLIR DATA LINK + GROUND STATION

So if you go to a prospective job site with a Thermal mounted Phantom versus someone with a more purpose built drone such as a airborne drones or a Tayzu with the specs to go with it. I would have to believe the client will choose the latter as a better solution because partly of requirements such as flight time.

An example would be a local power company needing to identify stretch of power lines 1-2 miles long. The lasting thing the client would want to see is a drone that flies up and down, spending up to 15 to 18 minutes in the air just to get a new fresh battery. Plus the drama of winds and environmental conditions.

Some of the case studies I have from in such as the example I mentions is that clients not only wants the identification of the problem source but also be able to do a more thorough examination which includes Hi Res photos.

I think that FLIRs on Phantoms or Inspires are good for quick short deployments such in a case for a SAR search within a 1/2 mile radius or a known power transformer but beyond that it is just a novelty having a FLIR on these types of drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: skylabimaging
Thanks SL and I will say in defense for the Inspire is that it is still a badass drone for aerial photography and that is its mission.

OC, I have a 35k euro drone at ym disposal that can fly for 40 mins wiht a flir tau 640. I have tried it, its great etc, but just the FLIR tau 640 isnt a very good solution.
for powerline inspections, high res photos are a must, and thermal and another......

for search and rescue, I believe that just identifying the location of people would be enough.
My inspire is becoming my preferred drone over the 35k system in many cases, yeh the flight time is limited, but in 12 mins you can get a lot done if you know what you are doing, and it takes approx 3 mins to get down and back up in the air.......

I think that one clear advantage fo the inspire is the performance of the craft itself. The stability is second to none. And the fact that it is a cheap system means that you can afford to put it up in the air and risk it.

for search and rescue there are many screnarios when the weather may be less than optimal... maybe i wouldnt want to risk 35k in that situation, especially as a voluteer.

I do agree though with what you said about turning up with an inspire for a job, it doesnt look professional, but if it gets the job done then what the heck right?

1uas has a full thermal system for the inspire...right now you can only get it with an inspire but they told me they will be offering it as a kit to purchase.

Personally I'd rather just have a phantom with a thermal solution than a bunch of different cameras for the inspire (not that it isn't cool)

have they found out how to feed a different camera into the inspires lightbridge? because they say that you can see the thermal video in the pilot app......
also, do we know if the tilt of the camera will be controllable via the normal flight rc?

plus their system is still pre order, although tempting....

OC, I have a 35k euro drone at ym disposal that can fly for 40 mins wiht a flir tau 640. I have tried it, its great etc, but just the FLIR tau 640 isnt a very good solution.
for powerline inspections, high res photos are a must, and thermal and another......

for search and rescue, I believe that just identifying the location of people would be enough.
My inspire is becoming my preferred drone over the 35k system in many cases, yeh the flight time is limited, but in 12 mins you can get a lot done if you know what you are doing, and it takes approx 3 mins to get down and back up in the air.......

I think that one clear advantage fo the inspire is the performance of the craft itself. The stability is second to none. And the fact that it is a cheap system means that you can afford to put it up in the air and risk it.

for search and rescue there are many screnarios when the weather may be less than optimal... maybe i wouldnt want to risk 35k in that situation, especially as a voluteer.

I do agree though with what you said about turning up with an inspire for a job, it doesnt look professional, but if it gets the job done then what the heck right?

Thanks M00se.

As I stated before there is a time and place for the Inspire to do or substitute a specific task but in reality there are other much better tools to get the job done in a more efficient manner and also impress the client.

There is a third party software company that I've seen that converts still images from the FLIR into a highly detailed, high resolution images.

have they found out how to feed a different camera into the inspires lightbridge? because they say that you can see the thermal video in the pilot app......
also, do we know if the tilt of the camera will be controllable via the normal flight rc?

plus their system is still pre order, although tempting....

I'm guessing that they just integrated thermal into the x3 unit, so this could be a no warranty product from FLIR and DJI but I assume that 1uas will warranty any issues themselves....don't quote me on that, I asked them how they did if it's a whole separate unit or what, they never got back to me? I assume that they figured out the pin layout or DJI gave it to them?

From looking at the images they provide, they have a flir just mounted on a brushless gimbal, plus they say 2 axis on the flir not 3, so I think they have a flir that somehow transmits through the lightbridge

I thought as much. I have the flir tau 2 640, which I use with a sony a6000 on my other rig..... it works well,

I bet.

I am feeling better about the FLIR Vue right now as the release of the Pro version came out it really sucks that I got the std version. Now there is talks about a third party hacking the Vue to be able to change palletes on the fly while in the air like the Pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44