Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sense and Avoidance System Inspire 2

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm writing this thread to help myself understand the Sense and Avoidance system on my Inspire 2

24904Sense and Avoid.png
DJI's advertisement: see attachment showing the location of the Upward Obstacle Avoidance sensors. inspire 2 Sense and Avoid

Forward and downward vision systems enable the Inspire 2 to detect obstacles up to 30 meters ahead, allowing for protected flight at up to 34mph (54kph)at a controllable attitude angle of 25°. Upward facing infrared sensors scan obstacles 16ft (5m) above, adding protection when flying in enclosed spaces. Obstacle sensing systems are active during normal flight, RTH and all Intelligent Flight Modes. These sensors are core components of the DJI FlightAutonomysystem, which brings the below intelligent features to the Inspire 2:

I was flying in a tight space. Five feet off the ground, five feet away from me. I noticed the battery life was at 15%. I dropped the landing gear using the switch on the controller and started my descent. Before I was able to land the battery life changed to 11%, the RTH Low Battery mode engaged, the landing gear went up and the craft ascended into an obstacle above it.

Two thousand dollars later for repairs and DJI Support stating the aircraft had no malfunctioning sensors, I'm left with myself trying to understand the functionality of the sensors.

I know and understand an option would be to disable this feature...

Any advice, suggestions, or comments please...........

Addendum to above:

On a previous flight the aircraft was traveling 18 mph and hit the side of a large tree and the obstacle avoidance did not work as well. Both crashes i incurred at least $2k each.

Hello,
I'm writing this thread to help myself understand the Sense and Avoidance system on my Inspire 2

View attachment 24904View attachment 24904
DJI's advertisement: see attachment showing the location of the Upward Obstacle Avoidance sensors. inspire 2 Sense and Avoid

Forward and downward vision systems enable the Inspire 2 to detect obstacles up to 30 meters ahead, allowing for protected flight at up to 34mph (54kph)at a controllable attitude angle of 25°. Upward facing infrared sensors scan obstacles 16ft (5m) above, adding protection when flying in enclosed spaces. Obstacle sensing systems are active during normal flight, RTH and all Intelligent Flight Modes. These sensors are core components of the DJI FlightAutonomysystem, which brings the below intelligent features to the Inspire 2:

I was flying in a tight space. Five feet off the ground, five feet away from me. I noticed the battery life was at 15%. I dropped the landing gear using the switch on the controller and started my descent. Before I was able to land the battery life changed to 11%, the RTH Low Battery mode engaged, the landing gear went up and the craft ascended into an obstacle above it.

Two thousand dollars later for repairs and DJI Support stating the aircraft had no malfunctioning sensors, I'm left with myself trying to understand the functionality of the sensors.

I know and understand an option would be to disable this feature...

Any advice, suggestions, or comments please...........

Addendum to above:

On a previous flight the aircraft was traveling 18 mph and hit the side of a large tree and the obstacle avoidance did not work as well. Both crashes i incurred at least $2k each.
Were you not able to over-ride the RTH? I believe if you pulled the sticks down, you should have had a message pop up on your screen asking if you want to over-ride RTH. I know that doesn't answer your question; I'm just asking.

Reactions: marctronixx
Yea and I appreciate your response... Thank you! I did pull my throttle stick down (right toggle) It hovered for a second or two then continued to climb.

I crashed an inspire 1 in the same manner. Taught me to never trust any of that stuff. Now, while I do use it only for emergencies, I fly as if it does not exist. And I spent several hours practicing turning it all off should it try to take over and I want to override it.

Reactions: TrcDjProductions
How many folks purchased the prop guards for their Inspire? After crashing mine and having it in the shop for 3 weeks I decided the $200 investment for guards may have been worth the price. Unfortunately, after buying through DJI (which I don't mind supporting), I found I could have purchased the same thing through Amazon for $40 cheaper.

Reactions: TrcDjProductions
I crashed an inspire 1 in the same manner. Taught me to never trust any of that stuff. Now, while I do use it only for emergencies, I fly as if it does not exist. And I spent several hours practicing turning it all off should it try to take over and I want to override it.
Good idea.. Thanks!

How many folks purchased the prop guards for their Inspire? After crashing mine and having it in the shop for 3 weeks I decided the $200 investment for guards may have been worth the price. Unfortunately, after buying through DJI (which I don't mind supporting), I found I could have purchased the same thing through Amazon for $40 cheaper.
Good ideal as well. I'm looking on Amazon now...
Then again it looks like the prop guards will not protect for traveling upwards. Suggestions?

Sure thing. These are expensive investments and we can learn a lot from each other. Have you decided on the prop guards or not?
No on the prop guards. Well, not yet. Looks like they will protect the craft on a decent and/or horizontal movement. Upward, still doesn't look good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool