Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Shitty Osmo Image Question

Reaction score
Can anyone offer some advice on if I am doing something wrong with the Osmo to create this god-aweful image quality.

I've seen it in a lot of my shots but this is the best/worst example so far.

It was quite dark in that rainforest and it was early in the morning so I think the iso was crazy high so I'm guessing that's it. However you do kind of see That ugly blockiness in osmo footage all the time to lesser degrees.

I'm not sure which slow motion setting I used.

Also I am using d-log now with everything else at default.

Any advice on how to avoid murdering my footage like this would be appreciated.

A link to that footage on drop box is below. Thanks for any advice.

fa5c124ca4e384b4400d1d749ee4b6e8.jpg
ff052e2f48d04dda27a60c379476f16d.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjark3co6n51ju8/Osmo Image.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Can anyone offer some advice on if I am doing something wrong with the Osmo to create this god-aweful image quality.

I've seen it in a lot of my shots but this is the best/worst example so far.

It was quite dark in that rainforest and it was early in the morning so I think the iso was crazy high so I'm guessing that's it. However you do kind of see That ugly blockiness in osmo footage all the time to lesser degrees.

I'm not sure which slow motion setting I used.

Also I am using d-log now with everything else at default.

Any advice on how to avoid murdering my footage like this would be appreciated.

A link to that footage on drop box is below. Thanks for any advice.

fa5c124ca4e384b4400d1d749ee4b6e8.jpg
ff052e2f48d04dda27a60c379476f16d.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjark3co6n51ju8/Osmo Image.mp4?dl=0

Unless you have camera experience, you will need to learn a lot. How high did you have the ISO?
If it was dark then you will find these cams useless.

Reactions: frasmac
Unless you have camera experience, you will need to learn a lot. How high did you have the ISO?
If it was dark then you will find these cams useless.
I've used a dslr for years and I understand the basics. I am wondering if there is something else going on with the Osmo. If by "these cams" you mean "the osmo" them you're confirming my suspicions that high iso is the issue. I didn't set anything manually so I don't know what the iso was. There is something funny about the Osmo image generally though.

I've used a dslr for years and I understand the basics. I am wondering if there is something else going on with the Osmo. If by "these cams" you mean "the osmo" them you're confirming my suspicions that high iso is the issue. I didn't set anything manually so I don't know what the iso was. There is something funny about the Osmo image generally though.

Ok... if you have cam experience you should know that you need to set the cam yourself, not auto as Im sure the ISO would be very high. Just give it another try and set the ISO yourself. I use a Mark 3 5D and i have tried the X5 to shoot but its nowhere going to be any good unless you use lighting.

Slowmo = high frame rate = shutter speed has to stay significantly higher than in normal mode = either you need more light, or ISO will have to shoot up to compensate.
"These cameras" (i.e. all small sensor cameras) already have a hard time in low light, so low light + high frame rate = crud.

It looks like you managed to capture the worst footage possible. The resolution labeled as "SLO" takes a crop of the sensor and that hurts IQ. Also, the bitrate is way to small to give a decent result for SLO. I don't think SLO is a useless setting, but 60p gives a better image. D-Log reduces contrast, pulls up the blacks, and tends to make images look less sharp. I would also guess that your ISO is maxed out.

I would suggest shooting in 60p and slowing down in post, using "none" as the picture profile, and getting enough light so that the ISO doesn't go over 400.

Slowmo = high frame rate = shutter speed has to stay significantly higher than in normal mode = either you need more light, or ISO will have to shoot up to compensate.
"These cameras" (i.e. all small sensor cameras) already have a hard time in low light, so low light + high frame rate = crud.
Thanks. That helps a lot. Much appreciated.

It looks like you managed to capture the worst footage possible. The resolution labeled as "SLO" takes a crop of the sensor and that hurts IQ. Also, the bitrate is way to small to give a decent result for SLO. I don't think SLO is a useless setting, but 60p gives a better image. D-Log reduces contrast, pulls up the blacks, and tends to make images look less sharp. I would also guess that your ISO is maxed out.

I would suggest shooting in 60p and slowing down in post, using "none" as the picture profile, and getting enough light so that the ISO doesn't go over 400.
Great answer. That really helps. Thanks so much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool