Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Slowly turning while hovering with no input

Reaction score
While hovering with no controller input, my Inspire slowly turns to the right. I calibrate the compass before each flight at the flight location. GPS lock is always good and there are no unusual magnetic fields nearby. This happens if I'm near the ground or up high. Landing gear position also has no effect. Is there a yaw trim I'm not finding? But I feel like the onboard compass should maintain heading if there is no controller input. Thanks for any help.

Not a good idea to calibrate the compass at every location, unless it's a couple of hundred miles from the last one. Have you performed the IMU callibration on a completely level surface, with a cold AC?

While hovering with no controller input, my Inspire slowly turns to the right. I calibrate the compass before each flight at the flight location. GPS lock is always good and there are no unusual magnetic fields nearby. This happens if I'm near the ground or up high. Landing gear position also has no effect. Is there a yaw trim I'm not finding? But I feel like the onboard compass should maintain heading if there is no controller input. Thanks for any help.
As said above - no need to calibrate the compass before every flight (in fact it's not a good idea to do that)

Your gradual yawing will be caused by an out of calibration RC stick centre position.
Run an RC calibration (don't forget the gimbal wheel while doing it otherwise it will not complete)
That will sort the problem out.

As said above - no need to calibrate the compass before every flight (in fact it's not a good idea to do that)

Your gradual yawing will be caused by an out of calibration RC stick centre position.
Run an RC calibration (don't forget the gimbal wheel while doing it otherwise it will not complete)
That will sort the problem out.

What are the ill effects of calibrating every time?

What are the ill effects of calibrating every time?
Calibrating your compass everytime you move locations increases the chance of unknowingly introducing a bad calibration.
If you were for instance standing on top of some buried metal or near something that would influence the magnetic flux your calibration would take that into account. Your aircraft would then report you're good to go. However, once you were airborne you would be clear of that influence that caused the bad calibration and the compass offset would be skewed. The only thing that would be acting on the compass would be the true magnetic flux for your declination but since the calibration was done near something altering the field you now have a skewed compass.
Que, TBE and an uncontrollable aircraft.
Far better to do a compass calibration and stick with it.
(I can't actually remember the last time I did mine and in the meantime I have travelled several hundred miles)

Always, always check your mod values though before every single take off. If they are not right don't fly. Move location slightly (20 feet or so) and check again.

Reactions: MacDyver and SanCap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop