Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

So... Phantom 4 or inspire 1?

Reaction score
Hey,
I want to buy a little mid(or higher-ish?)end drone and I really cannot make up my mind.
I'm hesitating between Phantom 4 and Inspire 1 (2.0, I think, PRO might be a little too 'pro' for me, however, I am planing to fly comercial).
I was using a comparing site
http://drones.specout.com/compare/2-316-452/DJI-Inspire-1-vs-DJI-Inspire-1-Pro-vs-DJI-Phantom-4
And honestly, Inspire looks worse and something does not add up (especially the altitude in PRO, which makes me doubt all the other specs here).
I want to make comercial shots, but I don't think there is a need for a PRO version, since I am only starting.
So... to sum up - What is the biggest difference between P4 and I1, and why should I choose one or the other?
Thanks,
Jacek

To me both the P4 and I1 with X3 have died with the Mavic Pro announcement.

meh, from what I've seen the footage on Mavic (
) is a bit soapy. But what about a PRO version? Is it better?
Or maybe I should consider buying Inspire PRO version?
I'm a bit confused.

The footage is garbage so far from the mavic compared to an x3 or even a p4. That being said, any professional knows that the major advantage of the inspire lies beyond the camera.

Mavic is for hiking skate boarders it's small an easy to carry but image quality doesn't look anything like an inspire or a p4 for that matter. My 2¢

I was thinking it was not any good until I seen these. Not quiet as good as the p4 or x3, but much better than the junk video that was released.

The footage is garbage so far from the mavic compared to an x3 or even a p4. That being said, any professional knows that the major advantage of the inspire lies beyond the camera.
It's because what you have seen has been posted by idiots who were unaware that the camera needs focussing like the X5(R). It is NOT a fixed focus camera like the X3.
The quality from the mavic block is slightly better than the X3 and on par with the Phantom 4.
Don't take any notice of the blurred reviews which are the norm. Search out some in focus examples (they do exist).

Reactions: Kilrah
The ability to change the camera to a real camera with true f-stop, variable focus and interchangeable lenses.

Reactions: ringolong
I1 - Dual controllers, along with the ability to change cameras, lenses, and you will always have to worry about keeping props out of the picture with the p4.

I would get the inspire since they are much cheaper than what they used to be.

Great! Another question - is x5 really worth the upgrade cost?
Changable aperture is of course a great thing, but not sure if it has THAT much of an impact in aerial photography.
(but again, I don't know anything about aerial shots, so feel free to prove me wrong)

If what you're after is stills you want the I1 with X5. For video, unless you're into high end stuff only the X5R is a significant upgrade, all the others are very close to each other.

And yes, the crappy Mavic video examples are from users who didn't use it properly.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
If what you're after is stills you want the I1 with X5. For video, unless you're into high end stuff only the X5R is a significant upgrade, all the others are very close to each other.

And yes, the crappy Mavic video examples are from users who didn't use it properly.

I disagree. The x5 is much better than the "other stuff" when it comes to filming video too. Especially in low light situations. You also cannot change lenses when using the "other stuff" either.

Reactions: Ftolino
What I said, advanced things. 90% of our video jobs are in nice sunlight and couldn't care less about lens options. Customers would rather pay less than have the additional possibilities, which means we have to get cheaper / easier to handle machines.

None of the photo jobs however could be done with anything less than the X5.

After that, it's anyone's own call and situation.

Reactions: Frank Tan
Something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is simply the air frame and size, allowing the Inspire to handle the wind better. In the long run, this extends your available days to fly commercially. Trust me, that will eventually affect you and your bottom line if you own a business heavily involving aerial photography. Personally, I think it's best to have both a Phantom and an Inspire in your toolbag if you're going to do commercial aerial work. There are times when the Phantom is just a better option to use when your 'set' is full of obstructions and tight clearances. If you're planning to do real estate, you will want to have a Phantom first. If your budget is a concern, pickup a P3-Pro to start and keep it as a long term back-up to your more significant investment.

Time will tell on the Mavic as a Phantom replacement, but I have concerns about two major things:
1. Wind. My guess is that tiny air frame isn't going to handle much wind very well. There are already gimbal issues showing-up in footage when the bird is at speed.
2. Durability. Those fold-out motor pylons look pretty susceptible to getting worn-out or damaged. And we haven't even talked about those folding props yet. Moral of the story: More moving parts, more sh!t to break. Ultra-portability is great in concept, but if you're a professional, you're not going to cut corners on quality because it was easier to carry your drone.

Reactions: IrishSights

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla