Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sound when flying

I would like to plug in a mike to my I2 remote and add sound while flying has anyone done that ..
No because it cant be done.
The aircraft does not transmit sound. Why would it? All you would get is the noise of the props!

Yea! I know the craft does not do sound . but I would like to add commentary to my video . I know the tablet records sound, Hoping with a mike connected to the remote , it would transmit to the craft sd card

Yea! I know the craft does not do sound . but I would like to add commentary to my video . I know the tablet records sound, Hoping with a mike connected to the remote , it would transmit to the craft sd card
Ohhhhh... I get what you mean now.

Nope, cant be done. There is no up link facility for audio to the aircraft's SSD or Memory card.

Editor, the DJI Go4 app records sound to the 720/1080 proxy on the tablet, so it can be done - they added the facility recently and it caused a few numpties to be concerned that DJI would hear everything back in China o_O

julie-Dog, If you're using something like the iPad, then you want a TRRS mic like the Røde SmartLav+. Or you can get a TRRS to TRS convertor to use a normal small mic/Lav, or something like the Røde VideoMicro or VideoMic. You can then export and sync the tablet footage with the higher res aircraft footage in post - they should (theoretically both be the same length)... probably be better to use the lower standard frame rates though as you might get some drift in sync if you use 50/60 or 120 fps.

If you're using Android tablets, then you'd need to check what sort of input they have - if the headphones have 3 silver bands, then it's TRS, if they have 4 silver bands, it's TRRS.

oh, and in most cases plugging a mic in will disable the sound output, so beware you won't hear any of the dji verbal warnings i.e. for recording home point etc.

Lav's would be good if you just want to get your voice as you can stick it on yourself and it won't care which way you face as you fly. VideoMic etc are more directional and you'd probably move in/out of best sound position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Editor, the DJI Go4 app records sound to the 720/1080 proxy on the tablet, so it can be done - they added the facility recently and it caused a few numpties to be concerned that DJI would hear everything back in China o_O

julie-Dog, If you're using something like the iPad, then you want a TRRS mic like the Røde SmartLav+. Or you can get a TRRS to TRS convertor to use a normal small mic/Lav, or something like the Røde VideoMicro or VideoMic. You can then export and sync the tablet footage with the higher res aircraft footage in post - they should (theoretically both be the same length)... probably be better to use the lower standard frame rates though as you might get some drift in sync if you use 50/60 or 120 fps.

If you're using Android tablets, then you'd need to check what sort of input they have - if the headphones have 3 silver bands, then it's TRS, if they have 4 silver bands, it's TRRS.

oh, and in most cases plugging a mic in will disable the sound output, so beware you won't hear any of the dji verbal warnings i.e. for recording home point etc.

Lav's would be good if you just want to get your voice as you can stick it on yourself and it won't care which way you face as you fly. VideoMic etc are more directional and you'd probably move in/out of best sound position.
Ohhhh no it can't (said in a Panto kind of way).
The OP wanted sound recorded to the aircraft SSD.
Not exactly sure Power Director will handle proxy workflow.

Stream it to Facebook, it will pick up the audio off the ipad including the controller sounds. Download it, extract the audio and overlay into the video off the AC.

Why do you need a proxy workflow? Sorry, my bad, I shouldn't have referred to the iPad recorded video stream as a proxy!

Simply download the duplicate low res video file from the iPad, extract the audio from it and use it as the audio track for the footage from the sd/ssd. they should be in sync or at worst a few ms out due to the lightbridge tx lag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen