Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Spotlight follow mode

I can not seem to get my Inspire 2 to use the follow option in Spotlight mode. The camera seems to be free following.
Any thoughts? I am using a CS with the latest firmware.

Spotlight Pro only tracks the object with the camera. It is up to the pilot to move the aircraft in the desired direction to follow the object or move away from the object.

Reactions: Cruncher
I can not seem to get my Inspire 2 to use the follow option in Spotlight mode. The camera seems to be free following.
Any thoughts? I am using a CS with the latest firmware.

The 2 modes of Spotlight Pro are Simple and Composition. Simple meaning you draw a box around the object you want the camera to track. Composition allows you to draw a box anywhere on the screen and when the object moves into the box you click the C2 button and the camera will track the subject. Either way the pilot needs to move the copter in whatever direction they want to go. Active Track is a completely different mode that will track the subject with camera and copter. I am not sure if that is supported yet on Crystalsky.

Reactions: sturgisphoto
The 2 modes of Spotlight Pro are Simple and Composition. Simple meaning you draw a box around the object you want the camera to track. Composition allows you to draw a box anywhere on the screen and when the object moves into the box you click the C2 button and the camera will track the subject. Either way the pilot needs to move the copter in whatever direction they want to go. Active Track is a completely different mode that will track the subject with camera and copter. I am not sure if that is supported yet on Crystalsky.

Spotlight Pro only tracks the object with the camera. It is up to the pilot to move the aircraft in the desired direction to follow the object or move away from the object.

Your information is incorrect.

On the Inspire 2 - Spotlight , Profile, and Trace are the Active Track modes.
When you select the mode, you have the options under Settings, to chose aircraft heading.
You can choose:
Free Mode: The Inspire 2 will move independently of the camera’s direction.
Follow Mode: Your aircraft will always face in the same direction as the camera.

The modes are different than the mavic Pro due to the gimbal.

My issue is that in Spotlight mode, both Free and Follow have the same result of the gimbal being free following.

I am on the CS latest firmware. I will have to see if the latest iOS has the same issue.

Last edited:
5ad678c6c6e0bd29497619c61a8d08e5.jpg

I just flew my Inspire 2 with the Crystalsky. I can see a distinct difference in Free and Follow modes. Here is a good way to test if your Free and Follow modes in Spotlight Pro are working properly. Start Spotlight Pro and set to free, fly a distance away then create a square box around yourself or an object near you then fly to the left or right. The camera will stay pointed at the object you selected but the copter will not stay pointed at the object you selected. Now stop moving the aircraft and select follow mode, watch to see if the aircraft rotates to the same angle the camera is, and pointed at the object you previously selected, if it does the system is working properly. If it doesn't then you have some sort of glitch.

Edit: I tested mine with both the Crystalsky and an iPad mini4 with the same results.

I just flew my Inspire 2 with the Crystalsky. I can see a distinct difference in Free and Follow modes. Here is a good way to test if your Free and Follow modes in Spotlight Pro are working properly. Start Spotlight Pro and set to free, fly a distance away then create a square box around yourself or an object near you then fly to the left or right. The camera will stay pointed at the object you selected but the copter will not stay pointed at the object you selected. Now stop moving the aircraft and select follow mode, watch to see if the aircraft rotates to the same angle the camera is, and pointed at the object you previously selected, if it does the system is working properly. If it doesn't then you have some sort of glitch.

Edit: I tested mine with both the Crystalsky and an iPad mini4 with the same results.

Thank you for testing on your setup. It is much appreciated. I will test again later today.

Wait. Is this Back to the Future! The most state of the art piece of photo/flying gear pointing at an old Reel to Reel. My question is Sony or Teac? ;) BTW, I have heard that if your Gimbal settings are deliberately made sluggish for smooth manual operation, that it can affect the performance of the bird during active tracking faster objects. Any idea if that is the case?

Has anyone found some accurate info on how the intelligent flight modes work ? I am still trying to understand how all the camera and gimbal adjustments affect the craft and camera. A good manual would certainly help. Don't mean to hijack this thread but it is obvious that others are facing the same problem. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin