Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

stock night visibility (poll)

At night, my inspire 1 is visible to the unaided eye

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just wanted to do a quick poll what distance you consider the stock i1 visible at night? It seems a lot of people mod for lights for increased day visibility but for night, concensus appears visibility is better due to the lighting.

How many feet before you feel visual line of site is compromised?

Just wanted to do a quick poll what distance you consider the stock i1 visible at night? It seems a lot of people mod for lights for increased day visibility but for night, concensus appears visibility is better due to the lighting.

How many feet before you feel visual line of site is compromised?
I have no idea - my permissions do not allow me to fly at night so I have never been airborne before sunrise or after sunset - sorry.
Most countries will follow suit and prohibit night flights in the near future due to the reduced visability of darkness.
Sorry - that's not very helpful.:(

I can see mine easily at night over a mile and a half away when flying in the country without many other light sources. Probably could see it from even further but was worried about having enough battery power to return. Ive also flown at night in the city and can easily see it around 3/4 of a mile away but trees/buildings degrade signal and lower range and also limit line of sight depending on location so I haven't flown much farther than that.

I do believe that DJI themselves have used quite a bit of night footage in their advertising. It must be dam hard to hold those 200ft bamboo sticks with the inspire zip tied to it just to get those shots.
please educate me and post the link :)
I just do not remember seeing it. :D
cheers.

While I understand your point, sky pixel is more like Instagram for drones rather than a Dji advertisement. They also sell drones globally and there are countries without such restrictions.

Your in trouble when I'm an edgamucator. ok! this one was used on one of DJI's main store pages for a little while SkyPixel in addition to that there is SkyPixel and ttps://www.skypixel.com/photos/f507e530-e65f-451b-b5da-151b4eaa6bfe and SkyPixel and SkyPixel and SkyPixel I could go on but you get the point and it's not restricted to anywhere in particular. Truth be told I have been enjoying teaching myself how to get the effects I want at night. Painting with light some have said. I love that the X5 in concert with the gimble and the air craft are able to consistently take up to 8 second shutter shots without blurring and I have definitely not always had ideal conditions. I started with the X3 but the X5 has so many more great tools to allow for this I Absolutely love it. I haven't gotten the content I seek as I'm practicing where Its close, I know there is complete safety, and I wont be bothered. I have been amassing the lenses and filters to get even more involved in creating great night art. My ultimate goal is to produce a short video similar to one that went viral not long ago where they took timed long shutter shots and then stitched them together to create a video. Unfortunately this endeavor is quickly becoming polarizing with many who's opinion is formed by who they choose to associate with and they're political beliefs. I will make it easy I am not a democrat nor am I a republican (though have been in the past) I believe strongly in personal freedoms for everyone equally and handle my own decisions by a simple test. Am I or could I harm someone with my actions. I work to make sure that answer is always no and find I am able to navigate through all my endeavors without issue. If you slap an N number on my bird my actions won't change just like the idiot who is flying 3 miles from home at 2000 feet isn't going to have an N number. In reference to it being against FAA regulation to fly at night I find that surprising as when I was young I held a private pilots license and was able to fly by visual flight rules at night in fact my sister soloed at midnight of her 17th birthday with three take offs and three landings. Neither of us were IFR rated.

dads plane.JPG

Insert:
my fathers plane which I flew before we sold it in the mid 90's after his passing.
A few that I've gotten straight off the card no post at all.

It has never been illegal unless you know of a law on the records that the rest of us don't. The whole narrative has been open to interpretation since the FAA is applying civilian aviation regulations to drones when they established them as aircraft without any change in regulation. Get are currently working on specific UAV regs but as of now night flight is only restricted by visual flight rules.
When you apply for a 333 it states "provided the aircraft weighs less than 55 pounds, operations are conducted during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions within visual-line-of-sight (VLOS) of the pilot, and certain distances away from airports or heliports. Details are available here

there are virtually zero laws regarding uav flight on the books other than a few local city ordinances which have recently passed. The most common mistake most people make and the source of all the confusion is people misquoting faa "laws" regarding uav flight when they dont understand there is no law and what the faa have said regarding them are simply recommendations(even says so on the faa website) and are in no way legally enforceable in a court of law if you dont follow them. They are currently working on actual uav specific laws but at this current time there simply are none. However that doesnt mean you can go fly wherever you want, if you fly over restricted airspace or cause personal injury or property damage you will get in trouble no matter what youre flying. you can however fly a uav commercially and fly higher than 400ft and as long as you dont interfere with other aircraft or cause an accident there is nothing they can legally do about it at this current time, provided you arent under the jurisdiction of any local ordinance of course.

Ive taken a UAV with no flight lights out to 800m at night, and you could still see the red flashing light on the gopro.
That was of course a long time ago before rules and regs were even rumours.
I would never do it now ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6