Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Suggestion for GPS tracker other than Trackimo

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a GPS tracker for my Inspire 1. I purchased a Trackimo only to find out that it would not work in my location in Southern Illinois. I was wondering what devices are being used by inspire pilots? I was considering Drone Mods UAV Locator, but am a little uneasy about purchasing without hearing positive results, particularly since I didn't have success with the Trackimo. I would appreciate any suggestions, including how the device can be mounted on my quad. Thanks,in advance, for the feedback.

Tagg Pet tracker. It uses CDMA VZW towers. I use an app on my phone to locate it. When I don't have it on the UAV I have it on the dog. For me its dual purpose. I do tend to leave it on the UAV though, I like knowing if its stolen I can simply locate it. I have the GPS placed in the back of the UAV so it looks some what "factory" The only downside is the price. I bought 2 TAGG pet trackers band new for 40$ each. Both came with 3 months for free. After that I got a full year of service for 89.00 bucks or so. The batteries last about 2 to 3 weeks before they need to be placed back on their charger.

Reactions: PB30X
how the heck does gps not work in southern illinois? should be worldwide son! Unless youre under something that blocks your view to the sky, lol

how the heck does gps not work in southern illinois? should be worldwide son! Unless youre under something that blocks your view to the sky, lol

Trackimo uses GSM. That would be a no go in my area. I live in WI and NEED CDMA coverage for tracking. The only reliable CDMA tracker I found was TAGG.
OP is probably in the same boat as me. Crappy GSM covergae makes for very sub par GPS tracking. I can not risk that with my Inspire.

Trackimo uses GSM. That would be a no go in my area. I live in WI and NEED CDMA coverage for tracking. The only reliable CDMA tracker I found was TAGG.
OP is probably in the same boat as me. Crappy GSM covergae makes for very sub par GPS tracking. I can not risk that with my Inspire.
oh, i gotcha. i thought they were actual GPS tracking devices, not reliant on cell towers. makes sense now. I sometimes fly in areas with no cell coverage at all so these type devices wouldnt do me any good whatsoever! i suppose true gps trackers are much more expensive/heavy? dont know that much about them to be honest.

Sultan. Trackimo and TAGG use Triangular tracking. They use cell service and the GPS side to locate the given tracker. When you have your cell phone in airplane mode and turn on your maps app in the phone. The maps will show a very large circle in which you could be located. When you turn off the airplane mode, the cell phone now uses the cell service along with GPS to Triangulate your location. They work hand in hand, this is until the cell service is unavailable.

Sultan. Trackimo and TAGG use Triangular tracking. They use cell service and the GPS side to locate the given tracker. When you have your cell phone in airplane mode and turn on your maps app in the phone. The maps will show a very large circle in which you could be located. When you turn off the airplane mode, the cell phone now uses the cell service along with GPS to Triangulate your location. They work hand in hand, this is until the cell service is unavailable.
I see. I spose without the cell signal its hard to send you the location of the tracker as well. two way gps signal from the tracker and the service then sending you a message to your cell phone with its location is probably much more costly than bouncing off a cell tower id imagine.

I farm and we use gps guidance systems to keep our equipment driving straight with around 6" or so of accuracy. They cost 7-16 grand for various brands with the more expensive ones being a little better. I would think GPS should be very accurate without a cell signal in your phone and these trackers though, it seems the cell tower location would be the wide area of possibility location device. Hows a cell tower pinpoint your exact location but the gps device designed to do that cant without the cell tower? must be some sub par gps devices with much lower accuracy, they are much much cheaper than what our guidance systems cost i guess so it makes sense they wouldnt be as accurate. I notice the inspire 1 RTH autoland will be 5-20 feet off the mark which makes it completely useless for me since i use my truck bed cover to launch/land, 6" accuracy there would be very nice in my opinion. Not nice enough to add 16K to the cost though, ha!

I use drone mods, if I call it's number I will get a text with link to google earth for it location

^^^ Same here. Can not fault it. Small and very light. Accurate to a couple of meters.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sirnikolas
RF-V16..is a GSM tracker. Man I wish I lived in a different area. I would love to have GSM capabilities.

I've been using 102 Nano GPS Tracker for keeping an eye on my P3 Pro.
it comes with a cradle to easily mount on your drone, and it's very easy to track with an iphone incase of an accident.
check it out : Buy 102 Nano Magnetic GPS Tracker - Rewire Security
phantom-3-4-102-gps-tracker-750x750.jpg

I am looking to purchase a GPS tracker for my Inspire 1. I purchased a Trackimo only to find out that it would not work in my location in Southern Illinois. I was wondering what devices are being used by inspire pilots? I was considering Drone Mods UAV Locator, but am a little uneasy about purchasing without hearing positive results, particularly since I didn't have success with the Trackimo. I would appreciate any suggestions, including how the device can be mounted on my quad. Thanks,in advance, for the feedback.

try using Trackimo's 3G device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla