Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

T-motor props clipping/hitting camera mount

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I was flying off a boat this weekend and I noticed my two front props are not level with one another, the starboard prop is at a different angle and seems to be lower, and extremely close to the camera mount thingamajig (see pictures). With the landing gear down while trying to land, the inspire was fighting some gusts and was tilting at about a 30 degree angle to combat wind drift, and I heard a distinctive "click" sound, which was almost definitely the t-motor prop hitting the camera part.

Landed just fine, no visible damage, and kept flying all day with no further issues, but upon inspection, the blade is REALLY close. Any way to adjust this?

Thanks!

DSC_1802.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1804.JPG
    DSC_1804.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Any way to adjust this?
View attachment 8787
Everything is fixable, so yes, you can fix that. Some questions, however, must be asked:

1. Did you hit something with landing gear, having rough landing etc.?
2. Is your bird on warranty?
3. If yes, are you willing to sacrifice the warranty issue?
4. If yes, are you skilled enough to perform adjustment? Proper alignment of the boom assembly is critical, you will need to reposition clamping device and tighten with Allen wrench. Botch booms must be aligned with exact angle to Z axis and to each other. In your case the reference will be to a port side of the bird, assumingly unharmed.

If you answer YES to 3 and 4, I will provide you with illustrated guidance. If you answer NO to 4, your only option is to send the bird for service.

Cheers.

Reactions: emtea
Everything is fixable, so yes, you can fix that. Some questions, however, must be asked:

4. If yes, are you skilled enough to perform adjustment? Proper alignment of the boom assembly is critical, you will need to reposition clamping device and tighten with Allen wrench. Botch booms must be aligned with exact angle to Z axis and to each other. In your case the reference will be to a port side of the bird, assumingly unharmed.

If you answer YES to 3 and 4, I will provide you with illustrated guidance. If you answer NO to 4, your only option is to send the bird for service.

Cheers.

1. I've had one rough landing where the bird bounced once before settling, but that was actually the landing after the propeller clipped -- other than that, I've always landed super smoothly and I've never had a crash. That being said, I've taken my inspire on 25+ flights (as in, passenger airplane cargo holds) in a pelican case but this bird has been to so many places I wouldn't be surprised if something got knocked out of alignment.
2. Yes, still under 1 year.
3. Yes, I'm about to void with a battery mod anyway
4. How accurate of an alignment are we talking? I have basic tools but no fancy laser alignments or anything. I'm quite handy at fixing stuff (like car motors) so I'm game to try. If you don't mind, I would really appreciate a guide to adjusting this--I imagine it involves loosening the nuts on the arm T joints and then retightening?

My other question for those who have used DJI warranty, would this be something they would charge for? Also, the misalignment is not apparent when you use the stock propellers, I imagine my warranty would be void if I told them I used T-motor props.

Thanks so much!

... the misalignment is not apparent when you use the stock propellers ...

That changes everything! Ignore all my previous comments and don't touch anything on a boom/arm assembly! Reinstall factory props instead and tell us how it works ...

BTW, there's no user-reported benefit or gain of any kind with any of exotic Inspire propellers on the market.

Last edited:
What length are the T-Motor aftermarket props?
They maybe just too long for the airframe with the x5 mount in p!ace.

Ignore all my previous comments and don't touch anything on a boom/arm assembly! Reinstall factory props instead and tell us how it works ...
Before you go any further with the fix, do yourself a favor and perform the following:
1. Set the drone on level surface at eye level and take a look at her face. Do you see visible difference between L and R landing gear angle in relation to Z axis? The booms are set slightly outward, causing the motors to be properly off plumb.
2. If there's any noticeable difference, than probably the clamping ring with cam arm (not the T-joint, don't touch this!) get loose. The hardware I'm talking about is located right behind T-joint fixture. It's clamped over boom tube, maintaining the rotation during rising and lowering the landing gear. The cam arm is also joined with small tube below arm. Machine screw for tightening the clamp is located beneath and inside round cavity, may be hidden by DJI warranty sticker. Use metric hex wrench.
3. If you don't see much to worry about there, than other parts to examine are:
a. Motors mounting screws.
b. Gear lowering/raising mechanism (joints, Y metal arms, central servo screw etc.)
No, you wouldn't need a laser-guided alignment tool. Good eyes and common sense should do.
Keep us posted ...

That changes everything! Ignore all my previous comments and don't touch anything on a boom/arm assembly! Reinstall factory props instead and tell us how it works ...

BTW, there's no user-reported benefit or gain of any kind with any of exotic Inspire propellers on the market.

I'm not sure what everyone's experience is but, I wrote about the T-Motor props here and my verdict is that they offer slight improvements but are not worth the money. I got them after my inspire decided it only needed 3 props and let one go right on take-off, the stock locking mechanism completely failed. I definitely notice faster acceleration with the T-motor props, I can hit 22m/s easily.

What length are the T-Motor aftermarket props?
They maybe just too long for the airframe with the x5 mount in p!ace.

They are 14", which is longer than factory but should still fit. I agree if they were a hair shorter, I would be more comfortable.

Before you go any further with the fix, do yourself a favor and perform the following:
1. Set the drone on level surface at eye level and take a look at her face. Do you see visible difference between L and R landing gear angle in relation to Z axis? The booms are set slightly outward, causing the motors to be properly off plumb.
2. If there's any noticeable difference, than probably the clamping ring with cam arm (not the T-joint, don't touch this!) get loose. The hardware I'm talking about is located right behind T-joint fixture. It's clamped over boom tube, maintaining the rotation during rising and lowering the landing gear. The cam arm is also joined with small tube below arm. Machine screw for tightening the clamp is located beneath and inside round cavity, may be hidden by DJI warranty sticker. Use metric hex wrench.
3. If you don't see much to worry about there, than other parts to examine are:
a. Motors mounting screws.
b. Gear lowering/raising mechanism (joints, Y metal arms, central servo screw etc.)
No, you wouldn't need a laser-guided alignment tool. Good eyes and common sense should do.
Keep us posted ...

Thanks! I haven't had much time to play with it lately but I will check on this and report back. I flew it again this weekend to film an event and had no issues (was landing on boats in high winds again).

Quick update: I put the stock props back on and they seem level on either side...maybe one of my t-motor props is warped or something?

Case closed than, happy flying!

Thanks for your help! Question...do your boom arms (that is, the two parallel arms with the motors on either end?) have any wiggle? Mine have always had wiggling and I read a while back that DJI said it was normal for a little play (but some people's inspires have reportedly no play).

Thanks for your help! Question...do your boom arms (that is, the two parallel arms with the motors on either end?) have any wiggle? Mine have always had wiggling and I read a while back that DJI said it was normal for a little play (but some people's inspires have reportedly no play).
My pleasure, fellow boater. Yes, some play of the booms in T-joints is perfectly normal, although perfectionists like myself may try to adjust this wobble to a minimum required. Launch the bird, let it hover at eye level and observe closely for visible low frequency vibrations of the boom ends. If it's stable, no shake or wiggle, than don't worry about it. Happy flying, mate!

My pleasure, fellow boater. Yes, some play of the booms in T-joints is perfectly normal, although perfectionists like myself may try to adjust this wobble to a minimum required. Launch the bird, let it hover at eye level and observe closely for visible low frequency vibrations of the boom ends. If it's stable, no shake or wiggle, than don't worry about it. Happy flying, mate!

Thanks! I will keep an eye out on my next flight but I've never seen it wobble or shake thus far :)

Cheers.

Sorry to go back to such an old post, but I am having the same issue as the topic starter and I haven't been able to find any discussion on the web besides this thread on this problem. My drone is out of warranty and I would love to know how to fix it if you would be willing to share.

Sorry to go back to such an old post, but I am having the same issue as the topic starter and I haven't been able to find any discussion on the web besides this thread on this problem. My drone is out of warranty and I would love to know how to fix it if you would be willing to share.

I never quite fixed mine, it still hits if you have the landing gear down and it's really windy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan