Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Taking Before and After aerial shots from exactly the same positions

Reaction score
I have not come across a suitable solution to this. I have been asked to take a number of photographs of a site, and then a few weeks later to go back and take the same photographs from exactly the same positions. I will only know the angles I want to take the photographs from once I am up there the first time. It seems to me it would be great if at the time of taking each photograph, the positions could be saved in some way so the Inspire can automatically return to the same spots a few weeks later. I have been looking at a number of third party apps that automate in different ways, but none seem to allow you to create the "waypoints" live, while in flight. Anybody out there have the answer?

I have not come across a suitable solution to this. I have been asked to take a number of photographs of a site, and then a few weeks later to go back and take the same photographs from exactly the same positions. I will only know the angles I want to take the photographs from once I am up there the first time. It seems to me it would be great if at the time of taking each photograph, the positions could be saved in some way so the Inspire can automatically return to the same spots a few weeks later. I have been looking at a number of third party apps that automate in different ways, but none seem to allow you to create the "waypoints" live, while in flight. Anybody out there have the answer?
I have no idea what you can do. The only thing I would say is to select your way points as you do the first take and save it so at least your drone will be in the same place later on. You won't get the same frame but you will be in the same location. We cant even do that with a camera on tripod. I believe the Sony HD Cam used to be able to reframe itself but I never tried it.

i have done a lot of these. It can take a lot to get them perfect but it can work. I find that taking off from the same, marked spot helps. Hit a pre determined altitude then do a one axis pan. Two or three of the same pattern, one before and after, and you can usually line up at least one pair. I also find that the higher I go the easier it is to match up the shots. You can crop out the sides to make the shots look the same.

I'm testing this at the moment with Autopilot and it looks very promising. Plan is to document a very large construction site.

Create a flight plan, test it, store and reload at any time to repeat the mission.

Chris
Chris

I'm testing this at the moment with Autopilot and it looks very promising. Plan is to document a very large construction site.

Create a flight plan, test it, store and reload at any time to repeat the mission.

Chris
Chris

I have been testing Autopilot too but can you create a Flight Plan whilst in flight? It is difficult to judge in advance where the best spots are from which to photograph. (up a bit, left a bit, rotate to the left, angle the camera down, etc) Once I have found that spot, I want to be able to save it so I can return there. Maybe I should be writing to Autopilot to suggest this as a new mode!

I have been testing Autopilot too but can you create a Flight Plan whilst in flight? It is difficult to judge in advance where the best spots are from which to photograph. (up a bit, left a bit, rotate to the left, angle the camera down, etc) Once I have found that spot, I want to be able to save it so I can return there. Maybe I should be writing to Autopilot to suggest this as a new mode!
Yes just tap "Use Aircraft Position" to create Waypoints / Focus Triggers while in flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide