Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

TB48 Flying Abroad Experiences

Reaction score
I've heard some airlines have written limits on batteries such as the TB48 but how have peoples real life experiences been with flying abroad with the inspire and TB48 batteries?

Would particularly be interested in hearing about easyjet.

Cheers

This has been covered many times on this forum - please do search and you will bring up some useful information.
I have traveled internationally with 2xTB48's without issue since they are under the permitted 100watt hours (which is classed as a consumer battery).
However, I cleared it first with the airlines involved and got written confirmation via email.
That being said - If TSA/Security decide you ARE NOT taking any on board then you are not taking them on board - it's that simple.

Why not contact them direct and get a response? Email Us | easyJet

Cheers I tried searching using the various terms 'international' 'travel' 'abroad' 'tb48' most of the chatter is about what case to use..

Good suggestion I have just contacted them I expect Easyjet to say check in baggage. IE inspire.
Lipo Batteries carry on. Presumably in lipo bag but that could just be my own operations.
I guess more expensive airlines will allow carry on of drone.

Who / where did you fly to out of curiosity?

This has been covered many times on this forum - please do search and you will bring up some useful information.
I have traveled internationally with 2xTB48's without issue since they are under the permitted 100watt hours (which is classed as a consumer battery).
However, I cleared it first with the airlines involved and got written confirmation via email.
That being said - If TSA/Security decide you ARE NOT taking any on board then you are not taking them on board - it's that simple.

Why not contact them direct and get a response? Email Us | easyJet

Think you meant to say you took the allowed 2x 100mw+ batteries. As TB48s are 129.96Wh. Anyhow my understanding is you can take as many sub 100mw batteries as you like.

I guess I'll be buying TB47s

Think you meant to say you took the allowed 2x 100mw+ batteries. As TB48s are 129.96Wh. Anyhow my understanding is you can take as many sub 100mw batteries as you like.

I guess I'll be buying TB47s
You're right - me wrong :p I have 99watt hour professional camera batteries sitting in front of me on my desk at the moment and I've been staring at them for too long :D
Yes, carried the allowed two TB48's with me out of Heathrow and Gatwick.
Flown Virgin, BA, Delta, American Airlines into Atlanta, Miami, JFK and Las Vegas - all without any issues. Have then taken domestic flights again, no issue with any.
Always checked the Inspire (Peli Case) and always carried the batteries in hand luggage with the tops taped up with black insulation tape.
On each occasion, I emailed the airline direct and printed out the reply and carried it with me...... but I never needed to show it :)

DOH - Easy jet customer service just said both drone & lipo batteries would need to be checked in the baggage hold... (clearly this is a fire risk) and they need a better policy!?

DOH - Easy jet customer service just said both drone & lipo batteries would need to be checked in the baggage hold... (clearly this is a fire risk) and they need a better policy!?
Whoever answered your call/email clearly knows nothing about aviation safety or TSA or EASA regulations in the carriage of lithium polymer batteries and really should lose their job giving out that kind of 'advice'.

I fly regularly with Norwegian, and i flew yesterday with 2 TB48's and 4 TB47's with no issue, i have 3 lipo bags and have 2 in each bag with terminals taped with about 50% charge in them.

Always take them in hand luggage, but i also label the case as fragile electrical equipment, and i also label that the the case CONTAINS NO LIPO BATTERIES, this is clearly labelled and i don't have issues anymore, i didn't used to do this, and would always have my case tagged "do not load call supervisor".

No issue whatsoever now...

Something I'm struggling to find out is should I also take my controller on as hang luggage? It contains a LiPo battery after all? Cheers
It is good practice to carry as hand luggage but not absolutely necessary since it is a sealed non consumer changeable rechargeable device and is classed as 'installed'
The pack contained in the Inspire RC is a 2 cell 6,000mAh battery so only 43.2Wh or around 1.8g of lithium which is below the allowed level in any case.

Reactions: dopeytree
Majority of airlines are IATA members and follow IATA standards for handling dangerous goods on flights. Attached is their published information for airline passengers regarding the carriage of lithium batteries for your information/retention.

Edit: Specific to our discussion, TB47 no limit (within reasons for customs to be considered as "importing"), TB48 limited to 2 batteries per passenger, RC no requirement to carry as hand luggage.

Attachments

• passenger-lithium-battery.pdf
    364.3 KB · Views: 14
Minor thread hi-jack (extend apologies in advance), how many here check-in their Inspires in hard-cases have any security concerns that they go missing (stolen) when you arrive at your destination? I think hard-cases, especially those with nice stickers advertising to everyone what a nice Inspire you have inside, make for a great target for any potential luggage thieves to walk away with it. They just have to buy some TB48 batteries (trying to make this vaguely relevant to this thread) and then they can enjoy your Inspire on your behalf. Am I the only one that is paranoid about checking in hard-cases?

Film crews fly all over the world with Peli hard cases (which in my view are always high value) so can't be that bad can it? For example the film crew I'm off to Iraq with have 12 extra check in cases of cameras, lights, tripods, batteries etc. The arri mini must be worth much more than my inspire X5.

But anyway how do you identify said case with out a sticker? I was going to get some printed tomo.. now thinking maybe of making it less obvious of the contents & just uniquely decorative?

IMO hard cases will always stick out as a target. When I used to be in Arizona, airport security used to check your luggage stickers vs the one they gave you when you check-in your luggage so presumably you wouldn't mistakenly take someone else's luggage by mistake (or on purpose) but I have never seen this practiced at any other airport around the world. And I fly a LOT, thus my paranoia.

Yes, I would go with uniquely decorative.

Just stick one of these on the outside

Nobody will dare touch it. :p

RadioactiveSymbol.gif

If we going that route, might as well be kosher with IATA's DG regulations and use the proper stickers instead.
IATA even sells them here. I'm not a vendor for IATA, so hope I don't get warnings from T.E.

Attachments

• 27_Radioactive_III_Class_7__99441_zoom.jpg
    27_Radioactive_III_Class_7__99441_zoom.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: The Editor
If we going that route, might as well be kosher with IATA's DG regulations and use the proper stickers instead.
IATA even sells them here. I'm not a vendor for IATA, so hope I don't get warnings from T.E.
Ohhhhhhh no.........now I've had a look on that site I think I prefer.

D.O.T.-Infectious-Substance-Label-for-Transportation-of-Hazardous-Materials-Class-6.jpg

Reactions: dopeytree and ATU

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry