Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

This high flyer is a little over the hill...

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Well I'm over 60...but hopefully not too far over the hill to take up a new hobby. I live in North Yorkshire, UK, and have just bought an Inspire 1 (v1.2) and hope to be able to learn to fly it. I say 'hope' simply because I'm already bemused and confused by all the articles/opinions I've read on these amazing flying machines :)

I'm a photo-journalist by trade. However that was MANY years ago. In fact the last camera I used professionally had film in it! The thought of being able to take pics from the air - with one's own kit - has really sparked me up (something only a shock from the mains voltage normally does these days).

I bought the old version of the Inspire simply because it was 'the end of the line' and thus on offer (oh, and in case you didn't know it Yorkshire folk have a reputation for being mean too). Anyway, already I'm finding things that are making me resist getting the thing flying...

Firstly, the flight software they talk about using is: DJI Pilot - which appears to have been superseded by a product called GO. Are the two compatible? I've no idea (but I'm sure someone here will).

Then there's the thought of trying to update the firmware. Frankly I don't feel confident about doing it - given I struggle resetting the clock when summertime comes in. Perhaps I don't have to update the firmware immediately? The instructions are so brief - it's hard to know where to start. Maybe I HAVE bitten off more than I can chew! Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm hoping over the next few weeks to break myself in gently. After all I'm retired - so in no rush. I look forward to some virtual chats with fellow forum members - and who knows might even find someone else in North Yorkshire with an Inspire!

Thanks to those who set up this forum. They are a great way to meet fellow enthusiasts! Apologies for the lengthy introduction. Please be gentle with this old technophobe! And apologies to those of you who fell asleep over your computer reading this... ;-)

Reactions: The Editor
Welcome Bruce.
Enjoy you're Inspire!Almost any thing you want to know is on this forum and if not ask.
As a non update person I say if things are ok,then skip the update for the next weeks.(or in my case I haven't update my Inspire for more then 1 year now.).Lurn to fly and lurn the rules about flying where and how far/high you may go.After that you can update if you want.Don't get panic when signal is lost or whatever.Release yor sticks take a deep breath and got your baby back.Keep a good eye on your tablet and radar and all info about altitude and distance.
So enjoy this forum and hope to see you here often.
Ohh and don't forget do not calibrate your compass everytime.

Welcome to the over 60's club. I turned 60 last month and I'm really enjoying getting to grips with the Inspire Pro

While the inspire is fairly easy to fly, I would recommend something like a Nano QX to practice on. Thr simulator that is part of dji go is okay, but still not the same as real life.

I started with a nexus 30 heli in 2000, had numerous blade helis since. I custom built a quad (3D printed) before my inspire purchase. The nano QX was a great learning tool, for nose in flying especially.

Ben

Thanks Nigpd and Ben for your responses...they are appreciated. Have to say Ben can't afford to buy another drone to use for practice. My wife's already unhappy about me buying the Inspire - thank heaven's she doesn't know how much it cost...or I'd really be: in the dog house!!

Thanks Nigpd and Ben for your responses...they are appreciated. Have to say Ben can't afford to buy another drone to use for practice. My wife's already unhappy about me buying the Inspire - thank heaven's she doesn't know how much it cost...or I'd really be: in the dog house!!
Don't let her know you're on this forum;)

Reactions: Nigpd
A Yorkshire pudding, I'm a Scaborian (at least born & grow up there) but live in Montreal now. I am older than u and have a inspire 1 Pro. Highly recommend making all yr mistakes on something less expensive. As u can see by many of the posts, we rarely learn from the mistakes of others. I took my knocks on an early Phantom & am very happy for that. I highly recommend learning from the pros, you'll never live long enough to learn from your mistakes, or at least yr Inspire won't. I'm envious of you with all those open moors. Happy flying, eeee bye gum ladie

I would definitely second Ben's suggestion on getting a practice quad... it will be a big help in getting the hang of flying before putting the Inspire on the line. The Nano QX he mentioned is under $100 on amazon. You can get ones as cheap as $20. You can practice in your living room with these little toy quads, and one small mishap with the inspire would cost more than the practice drone.

The little toy copter will help yo get used to the controls and keeping track of the orientation. The toy ones are also twitchier and harder to control than the inspire, so if you practice for a week or two with the toy one and can takeoff and land it consistently indoors, you'll be feeling confident with the inspire in the air.

Reactions: Ragnar51
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you experimented with the flight simulator, yet? Whist it's hardly an immersive experience it does at least give you am idea of how it all works. Also it does allow you to programme in windy conditions which should help you learn to fly it in the real world.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for posting Mark.

Ha, I guess you read my mind! Have been reading about the simulator mode and think I will give it a try before flying the Inspire for real. Others have suggested buying a cheap drone to practise. However, after careful consideration I believe if I buy another drone it WILL lead to a divorce!

Anyway, have a few major DIY projects to finish before I can commit time to flying the Inspire. So trying the simulator - with the props off the Inspire - would seem like a good start...

Oh, and I think I have now completed the 'Inspire 1 initiation ceremony'. Took 20 mins to get a jammed zip to open on the case. So, used a candle to lubricate zip and closed it up. I then spent another twenty minutes trying to open the case again (yep, some of us are SLOW learners!!). Zip now defo., bust on one top corner - so won't be trying to close it all the way up again...

Shop that sold me the kit says it will send me a replacement case...so watch this space for a repeat performance!

Cheers
Dave

Hi folks,

Well I'm over 60...but hopefully not too far over the hill to take up a new hobby. I live in North Yorkshire, UK, and have just bought an Inspire 1 (v1.2) and hope to be able to learn to fly it. I say 'hope' simply because I'm already bemused and confused by all the articles/opinions I've read on these amazing flying machines :)

I'm a photo-journalist by trade. However that was MANY years ago. In fact the last camera I used professionally had film in it! The thought of being able to take pics from the air - with one's own kit - has really sparked me up (something only a shock from the mains voltage normally does these days).

I bought the old version of the Inspire simply because it was 'the end of the line' and thus on offer (oh, and in case you didn't know it Yorkshire folk have a reputation for being mean too). Anyway, already I'm finding things that are making me resist getting the thing flying...

Firstly, the flight software they talk about using is: DJI Pilot - which appears to have been superseded by a product called GO. Are the two compatible? I've no idea (but I'm sure someone here will).

Then there's the thought of trying to update the firmware. Frankly I don't feel confident about doing it - given I struggle resetting the clock when summertime comes in. Perhaps I don't have to update the firmware immediately? The instructions are so brief - it's hard to know where to start. Maybe I HAVE bitten off more than I can chew! Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm hoping over the next few weeks to break myself in gently. After all I'm retired - so in no rush. I look forward to some virtual chats with fellow forum members - and who knows might even find someone else in North Yorkshire with an Inspire!

Thanks to those who set up this forum. They are a great way to meet fellow enthusiasts! Apologies for the lengthy introduction. Please be gentle with this old technophobe! And apologies to those of you who fell asleep over your computer reading this... ;-)
As a 64 nearly 65 year old and having had my inspire 1 for several months now and being new to this i can honestly say i have had great fun for the last few months.
The inspire really does inspire and has bought a new lease of life to me, i can say without a doubt that i get up in the morning and start looking for places to fly ( legally of course ) i practice with a quad i bought off the local market for £20 and this has bought many benefits, such as learning to fly nose in and banking the quad in a turn.
this is a super machine and the video footage is superb as well, i now watch the tv for quad shots ( of which their are many ) and learn from them as well.
good luck my friend and have a great time and safe flying.

Bruce
You might enjoy or be inspired by a recent film I shot in Yorkshire for the National trust....

Just goes to show what you might have on your own doorstep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marketal
Bruce
You might enjoy or be inspired by a recent film I shot in Yorkshire for the National trust....

Just goes to show what you might have on your own doorstep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loved the footage and just wish that mine was as good, perhaps one day?.
I love to watch these films as it gives new ideas and sometimes i even try to match up to them but so far my films are not for sharing as they dont go as far as these.
when i get the nerve to fly out that far, well maybe.

Reactions: andrew259
Thank you Ray, and Andrew, for your encouragement. To think when I started as a press photographer we shot in black and white - 12 frames per 120 roll of film with a cumbersome twin lens camera - the size of a small drone! Switching to a Nikon F 35mm was a revelation! Then I managed to get a few helicopter flights - through work - and was enthralled by the bird's eye view of the landscape...

That's great footage, Andrew, of an area we know well. It's hard to believe that such stunning scenery can be captured without the need to have your own helicopter. I may be 66 but I'm happy to embrace the new technology - that makes such things possible. However, I suspect it will take some time to fly as proficiently as you guys!

Reactions: andrew259
Well, my case zip broke - and I haven't even flown my drone yet! Contacted Vodafonestore and they said they'd source a replacement. Was impressed...but now asked to send drone and case back for replacement - as the shop can't just get a case...looks like I won't be flying for some time :(

Well my life with my Inspire 1 was short-lived!

Having returned my unit - due to faulty zip on case - I contacted the Vodafonestore store on Friday to ask when I could expect my replacement. I was told that they had no units currently in stock. So, I requested a refund...which they promptly gave me. Now all I have left from my Inspire 'adventure' is a second battery and 180w charger (bought from EPICTV in France).

I think it's fair to say I now feel in a bit of a quandary: Having spent weeks learning all about the Inspire 1 - and reading about all the various issues - I'm wondering if I should now buy a Phantom 4 instead of an Inspire?

I DON'T think having a battery and fast charger for an Inspire should cloud my judgement (but as a tight Yorkshireman it's tempting:)

Anyway, just wanted to ensure I updated my thread regarding my brief encounter with my first drone!

I will do a search, now, and see what people are saying about the Phantom 4 v basic Inspire 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop