Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Has anyone found any resources on the makeup up the power connector on the I2/TB50's?

I'm looking to utilize them on a custom DJI hardware build and would like to save myself the trouble of trying to open a perfectly good battery up to figure out all the pins!

I've also seen a lot of disgruntlement over the false advertising of the A3 and N3 flight computers in regards to being able to use "Intelligent Batteries" and getting all the info out and through the FC. No such hardware exists to do so (being a TB50 connector port with two cables for 3-12S Power In and iBat). Can anyone clarify this either?

Has anyone found any resources on the makeup up the power connector on the I2/TB50's?

I'm looking to utilize them on a custom DJI hardware build and would like to save myself the trouble of trying to open a perfectly good battery up to figure out all the pins!

I've also seen a lot of disgruntlement over the false advertising of the A3 and N3 flight computers in regards to being able to use "Intelligent Batteries" and getting all the info out and through the FC. No such hardware exists to do so (being a TB50 connector port with two cables for 3-12S Power In and iBat). Can anyone clarify this either?

Yes there is no battery data hub available currently for the standalone controllers, the M600 has this built into the board.

As for the I2 pinouts I'm going to be working on this my self shortly, as there is no power button they are controlled through data pins.

I'd love DJI to release the usual controller charge cable for the TB50 as that's been my main avenue into the packs with all of my charger builds.

Yes there is no battery data hub available currently for the standalone controllers, the M600 has this built into the board.

As for the I2 pinouts I'm going to be working on this my self shortly, as there is no power button they are controlled through data pins.

I'd love DJI to release the usual controller charge cable for the TB50 as that's been my main avenue into the packs with all of my charger builds.
Is this the cable you are referring to? We recommend to everyone because if you are letting your remote controller keep your mobile device charged, its nice to top off your remote controller from used TB50s after you land.

Inspire 2 Remote Controller Charging Cable

Reactions: SanCap
Did you find out if it´s possible to use the battery for custom builds? Thank you!
Nope.

The cable posted above would be handy, but I don't know how complicated it is to actually get the full voltage and power on/off through it. Would be interesting if the other posters could advise on their experiences since last post.

Reactions: MotionManager
You can. It's slow, but it works.
We had always thought about using the cable and making a charging lead from the female side of the barrel connector to banana plugs - connecting it to a Hyperion charger with a 6S discharge profile - turning on the battery and starting the Hyperion discharge (or any other charger that does store charge / discharge). I would think the battery would provide as much power as the device on the other end wants to draw. The Phantom Angel does this as well (Phantom Angel) and they now have combo discharger that you can get. They make one for Inspire 2 / Mavic or Inspire 2 / P4, etc. They discharge the batteries in about 30 minutes powering a very bright light (that gets really, really hot). This is what makes me think we could also connect it to a regular lipo charger that does storage charge. We probably have everything we need to try it out if anyone else is interested in the concept.

@Florida Drone Supply lol... right now would be more useful to find some gloves with electical heating elements in them and coupling up a TB50 connector - that way we can usefully use the residual charge after a flight to warm our hands for following winter flights ;) :D

I'd guess the main problem with discharge using the cable would be to make sure the battery packs don't overheat and over discharge - does the built in intelligence shut off the load, or does that cable bypass the intelligence circuitry? It should also be possible to use the TB50's to power an Osmo if someone could get the voltages matched up - there's already a Phantom connector available to do that. Think you can do it with an I1 battery too? Might have to get the test meter out and play a bit :)

If we could get the TB50 pin configuration drawings than we could balance the cells.
The Inspire is very picky about unbalanced cells and wont even take off if the cells are unbalanced.

The Inspire is very picky about unbalanced cells and wont even take off if the cells are unbalanced.
Yea, this is one of the worst PITAs about the whole I2. I have six sets (12 batteries) and 2 batteries have failed in less than 75 flights due to the balancing issue. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that somebody cut one of their failed batteries open and actually fixed it, proving in the process that there was nothing wrong with the battery, but it's just the crappy DJI software that fails to properly balance and correct the cells.
But I do have some good news for you (depending on your risk tolerance). If you have a bad battery (bad because of an unbalanced cell), here's what you do. Put on one good battery and power up, waiting for GPS lock, etc. You won't be able to take off because you only have one battery on, but everything will be ready to go other than that. Now pop on the bad battery in the #2 slot. You're warning will go away and you can now take off and fly. This trick has saved my *** a couple of times. My subjects do NOT allow for multiple takes or advanced preparation - I've got one and only one chance to get the shot, so nothing pisses me off more than having Daddy DJI tell me I can't fly because their crappy batteries have crapped out. I'm actually a nice guy, but I really would like to put my foot in DJI's ***.

Yea, this is one of the worst PITAs about the whole I2. I have six sets (12 batteries) and 2 batteries have failed in less than 75 flights due to the balancing issue. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that somebody cut one of their failed batteries open and actually fixed it, proving in the process that there was nothing wrong with the battery, but it's just the crappy DJI software that fails to properly balance and correct the cells.
But I do have some good news for you (depending on your risk tolerance). If you have a bad battery (bad because of an unbalanced cell), here's what you do. Put on one good battery and power up, waiting for GPS lock, etc. You won't be able to take off because you only have one battery on, but everything will be ready to go other than that. Now pop on the bad battery in the #2 slot. You're warning will go away and you can now take off and fly. This trick has saved my *** a couple of times. My subjects do NOT allow for multiple takes or advanced preparation - I've got one and only one chance to get the shot, so nothing pisses me off more than having Daddy DJI tell me I can't fly because their crappy batteries have crapped out. I'm actually a nice guy, but I really would like to put my foot in DJI's ***.
Thanks for the info.
I just sent a battety into DJI after 1 charge.
Lets see what they will do.
Mark

Grumpster,

I like your idea. I am having an issue with a bad cell and want to discharge fully. I was looking for a way to discharge the battery and am going to try your method, with props off and just run it until it quits. Thanks for the info.

I am currently having this issue. I have 8 sets of batteries and 2 of the sets have "broken cell" error. Total bs. Both of these sets have less than 20 cycles. I have been working at these packs for 2 days just because that's how I am. I was able to get one set to fly after trying all kinds of voodoo (including letting the machine run for 6 hours to slowly even out the cells) only to find that after attempting to run them down to the 5% that DJI suggests, I get the red light of death on my hub. I even have a battery angel. This whole thing makes no sense. @ $320 a set, DJI should be ashamed.

DJI have just made an announcement on their own forum as follows...

'Dear users,

We have received reports of a battery cell error with the TB50 Intelligent Batteries used in the Inspire 2. This error is caused by an unbalanced battery cell voltage, and we will diminish this issue through a firmware update in the near future. Through our test and analysis, the battery will become normal after cells are balanced.

Please follow DJI’s official website for firmware update announcements or watch out for update notifications in the app. For more details, please refer to the release notes of the soon to be released firmware update.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
DJI Support'

Mark

Reactions: roblevine

'Dear users,

We have received reports of a battery cell error with the TB50 Intelligent Batteries used in the Inspire 2. This error is caused by an unbalanced battery cell voltage, and we will diminish this issue through a firmware update in the near future. Through our test and analysis, the battery will become normal after cells are balanced.

Please follow DJI’s official website for firmware update announcements or watch out for update notifications in the app. For more details, please refer to the release notes of the soon to be released firmware update.

Best regards,
DJI Support'

Mark
FFS I contacted DJI - my battery had this error after only six cycles - I had to buy a new one - as they informed me.

'Dear users,

Best regards,
DJI Support'

Mark
Do you have a link to this announcement? Can't find it.

Wonder how long it will take DJI to come out with the new firmware to address this cell error?

"Coming soon" often means months in DJI speak, or maybe not at all as with the alleged Osmo for the Inspire 2 that disappeared off their website along with "Coming soon."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst