Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Too Hot to Fly - What to Do?

Reaction score
The maximum operating temperature for the mainframe, controller, and cameras is 104°F. The maximum operating temperature is for the Apple iPad is 95°F. Our weather forecast continues with highs 101° to 110°F. Other than not flying when the temperatures rise up to and beyond 95°F (and that's in the shade), are there any suggestions for meeting client's needs?

Attachments

• Heat Forecast.jpeg
    Heat Forecast.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 32
Hi John, the Crystalsky monitors have proved themselves to operate efficiently in higher temps. Other suggestions that will help, is to keep your batteries in a chilled cooler or case that has been sitting in your air-conditioned home for a while. The packing will keep the batteries cooler than if they were out in the open. Keep the Inspire in the shade till ready to fly, try not to linger in the sun, have all your preflights done before you set it out in the heat. Have a tripod with an umbrella to keep your monitor and yourself cooler if possible. These are simple suggestions but do work.

The Crystal Sky tops out at 104 just as the UAS. An umbrella on a tripod is an intriguing suggestion. Thanks!

Hi John, the Crystalsky monitors have proved themselves to operate efficiently in higher temps. Other suggestions that will help, is to keep your batteries in a chilled cooler or case that has been sitting in your air-conditioned home for a while. The packing will keep the batteries cooler than if they were out in the open. Keep the Inspire in the shade till ready to fly, try not to linger in the sun, have all your preflights done before you set it out in the heat. Have a tripod with an umbrella to keep your monitor and yourself cooler if possible. These are simple suggestions but do work.

Hi John – Check out one of our partner's videos regarding CrystalSky Heat Performance. Down here in Southern California we've been having zero heat issues and same goes for many of our friends out in the desert.

Writeup here: CrystalSky Heat Test – CrystalSky Now Available at Advexure

Safe flying and if our team can be of any assistance just give us a shout.

Reactions: John Waddington
Thanks. Looks intriguing. My eyes need the larger display. Too bad the 1000 nit is on backorder & the 2000 is not available until September. But will give them consideration, if not this year (assuming fall is coming), then next year. Thanks again.

Hi John – Check out one of our partner's videos regarding CrystalSky Heat Performance. Down here in Southern California we've been having zero heat issues and same goes for many of our friends out in the desert.

Writeup here: CrystalSky Heat Test – CrystalSky Now Available at Advexure

Safe flying and if our team can be of any assistance just give us a shout.

Reactions: Advexure
Flying in those temperatures would make me nervous (because of the batteries). You might want to check operating range for batteries too. The TB47's and 48s have that temperature monitor and the I1 will limit maneuverability when battery temps start to get high. I thought I saw a product out there that was a wrap or something that could help keep the batteries cool in high temp conditions. Try google on that.

I can't help you with the iPad, that kind of sucks that max op temp for iPad is only 104.. :( What do people do with themselves outside when it's hot like that and they can't use there iPads?? :D

Reactions: John
The maximum operating temperature for the mainframe, controller, and cameras is 104°F. The maximum operating temperature is for the Apple iPad is 95°F. Our weather forecast continues with highs 101° to 110°F. Other than not flying when the temperatures rise up to and beyond 95°F (and that's in the shade), are there any suggestions for meeting client's needs?

Funny you mention this. I've been storing my iPad in the refrigerator over night (not the freezer), and then storing it in a cooler full of ice up to the shoot. I have used the hatchback of my car and some towels to create a shaded area. I turn the display brightness down as much as possible. I use goggles, so I honestly only need the iPad to set up the camera and/or Flight Controller for the bird during automated flights via Autopilot™. I think the hottest day was 96°.

Because I use goggles, I had the idea of storing the iPad in a cooler with ice during flight. Unfortunately, after FIVE failed attempts at acquiring 10' (3M) Lightning cables (including Apple OEM), I have conceded that the Lightning communication protocol simply won't navigate 10' of cable. So I just received a 6' OEM Lightning cable in the mail yesterday. I haven't tested the cable yet. But if it works, I plan on keeping my Air Pro and/or Air 1 in the cooler during flight.

Regarding the pile-o-failed cables, some of them will charge, but most won't. None will pass data. Yes, I received full refunds for every cable. Not shown, the 10' Apple OEM cable, which charges consistently and reliably, so I use it for that purpose. It does not pass data.

Behold, the Lightning cable graveyard.DSC00978.JPG

Reactions: John
Since I fly commercially, with an FAA-issued Remote Pilot Certificate, I am not allowed to use googles.

Funny you mention this. I've been storing my iPad in the refrigerator over night (not the freezer), and then storing it in a cooler full of ice up to the shoot. I have used the hatchback of my car and some towels to create a shaded area. I turn the display brightness down as much as possible. I use goggles, so I honestly only need the iPad to set up the camera and/or Flight Controller for the bird during automated flights via Autopilot™. I think the hottest day was 96°.

Because I use goggles, I had the idea of storing the iPad in a cooler with ice during flight. Unfortunately, after FIVE failed attempts at acquiring 10' (3M) Lightning cables (including Apple OEM), I have conceded that the Lightning communication protocol simply won't navigate 10' of cable. So I just received a 6' OEM Lightning cable in the mail yesterday. I haven't tested the cable yet. But if it works, I plan on keeping my Air Pro and/or Air 1 in the cooler during flight.

Regarding the pile-o-failed cables, some of them will charge, but most won't. None will pass data. Yes, I received full refunds for every cable. Not shown, the 10' Apple OEM cable, which charges consistently and reliably, so I use it for that purpose. It does not pass data.

Behold, the Lightning cable graveyard.View attachment 15632

If people can't use their iPads, DJI does offer an outdoor display with a maximum operating temperature of 104F to match their aircraft and controller. But if temps are over 100F, i just won't fly. Too risky and uncomfortable. Those jobs have be scheduled or rescheduled on different days or time of day.

Flying in those temperatures would make me nervous (because of the batteries). You might want to check operating range for batteries too. The TB47's and 48s have that temperature monitor and the I1 will limit maneuverability when battery temps start to get high. I thought I saw a product out there that was a wrap or something that could help keep the batteries cool in high temp conditions. Try google on that.

I can't help you with the iPad, that kind of sucks that max op temp for iPad is only 104.. :( What do people do with themselves outside when it's hot like that and they can't use there iPads?? :D

Since I fly commercially, with an FAA-issued Remote Pilot Certificate, I am not allowed to use googles.

I have been through the entire FAA rules and regulations regarding drones, and I see no search engine restrictions. You can Google or Yahoo or DuckDuckGo any search engine you wish. You might want to check back with your rule book or local FSDO.

Reactions: John and SanCap
I have been through the entire FAA rules and regulations regarding drones, and I see no search engine restrictions. You can Google or Yahoo or DuckDuckGo any search engine you wish. You might want to check back with your rule book or local FSDO office.

I almost got to correct you on your FISDO spelling, you are to quick :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1