Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

TRADECRAFT CASE

Reaction score
Tradecraft finally published their case announcement. Was a favorite of mine for the P2V. Good price and accommodates the Inspire in non-travel mode (with legs down) eliminating the entire power up, transition, power down, install camera, power up process. They state that camera can also be left attached for the safe short hauls.

Actually slightly bigger than the existing Pelican options with a size of 25x25x14, and at 26 lbs.

May be a good option for some.

Very nice. That's likely an SKB iSeries 2222-12. They make great cases. Does anyone know if they glue the 5 foam layers together?

Hate to sound like a tradecraft *** kisser, but they're also a good company. They were willing to sell me an "insert only," at a very reasonable price, when they changed their foam insert from the P2V to P2v+. So if they ever improve on the insert, I'm sure we can purchase the improved insert without the iSeries case.

They were willing to sell me an "insert only," at a very reasonable price

That's great. I wonder why more companies don't do that. The foam is likely a big part of the profit margin, so it seems like a sound business decision.

I ordered the TradeCraft case originally. But when I saw photos of the two side-by-side, I canceled the TradeCraft case and ordered the Go Professional.

Don't know how to upload images, but go to their Websites and check how the foam "wraps" around the aircraft and accessories and comes up to the top edge of the case in the Go Professional case vs the TradeCraft case.

http://www.tradecraftcases.com/product-p/ins1.htm

http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-inspire-1-landing-mode-case.html

No way for accessories to rattle around in the Go Professional case, should it get turned upside down.

Reactions: johnmont250
Very nice. That's likely an SKB iSeries 2222-12. They make great cases. Does anyone know if they glue the 5 foam layers together?
looks like they glued them. to make a one piece EPE insert like the DJI case, you'd have to invest a great deal in the mold. but if you cut them layer by layer on a press, then you just need to make the cutter which is dirt cheap.

travel mode case or landing mode case ? why cant there be some protection at the bottom of the case to fix the gimbal and the cam for the landing mode case so that it doesn't rattle or dangle around when just drop in with the cam.

Someone (one of the manufactures?)posted that they tried that and found that even with the extra protection, it was still too much vibration on the gimbel/camera, so they scratched the idea.

travel mode case or landing mode case ? why cant there be some protection at the bottom of the case to fix the gimbal and the cam for the landing mode case so that it doesn't rattle or dangle around when just drop in with the cam.

I could be wrong, but I've been under the impression that the landing mode cases do accept the aircraft with the camera/gimbal attached. Will let you know for certain later today, when my Go Professional case arrives.

Reactions: kilowonghk
As an owner of both cases for the Phantom, here's my assessment of the two. It comes down to Travel Mode or Landing Mode.

Absolutely correct that the foam insert in the gopro is more professional and looks better. Impressive cool look.

Tradecraft is layered cut foam, you can see the seams, but it has never separated in any of my cases.

In my opinion, absolutely not true that the gopro holds things more securely. Tradecraft foam holds stuff just as securely. In fact, I find the stiffness and inflexibility of the gopro foam annoying at times. It's also easier to cut the Tradecraft insert to accommodate other accessories.

Although I have yet to receive my Inspire case, it looks like the gopro shell is sturdier, has two wheels per side, instead of one.. The hardness of the shell was never an issue for me, and I simply prefer smaller and lighter. Never had a problem with the tradecraft as checked baggage. Tradecraft is not using a proprietary shell. They are reselling an SKB iSeries case, which from what I have read, is a great product. If you're looking for shell structure, look at HPRC

The big difference here is the design. Overall exterior dimensions are similar, with the gopro more rectangular, tradecraft square and slightly deeper. this permits the Inspire to be stored in Landing mode - a huge plus for me. It's a personal choice. Gopro has announced a Landing Mode case, but it's HUGE. Too big for me.

Very simply, I prefer Landing Mode with the smaller Tradecraft platform and have NO issue with the layered cut foam. I can't stand the start up and shut down procedure for travel mode and gimbal install. I simply want to pull out the Inspire, install gimbal/props, power up, and go. My pet peeve.

If Travel mode is preferential, take a serious look at the gopro. They too make a great product.

I'll let you know what I think of the tradecraft inspire case when I receive it this week.

The big difference here is the design. Overall exterior dimensions are similar, with the gopro more rectangular, tradecraft square and slightly deeper. this permits the Inspire to be stored in Landing mode - a huge plus for me. It's a personal choice. Gopro has announced a Landing Mode case, but it's HUGE. Too big for me.

Yes, the GoPro is 10,212 cubic inches, whereas the TradeCraft is 8,750 cubic inches, a difference of 1,462 cubic inches. Based on images and the volume of each case, it appears that the former case has the potential to hold more gear--two iPads, for example, whereas the latter holds only one. The TC holds seven (7) batteries, one on the Inspire. The GP case appears to have the capacity to hold ten (10) batteries, one on the Inspire.

I didn't mean to say things would rattle around in the TC case, I only meant to say that it appears that the potential is there to do so. It depends entirely on what is stowed in the case. Sooner or later someone will throw something small and loose into the open area around the bird and if turned upside down it will not be secure. Such potential does not exist in the GP case.

Oddly enough, the larger case is considerably lighter, based on specs from each site: GP case weight (empty) 11 lbs; the TC case weight (empty) is 26 lbs. That's more than twice as heavy! :confused: That I do not understand, but it sure would make the "larger" case much easier to tote around.
*(Read post #19 below for updated information.)

EDIT:

The case arrived and I transferred everything from the stock case to the GP case and have plenty of room to spare.

Yes, the case is large, larger than I even pictured it (I'm no good at guessing dimensions or distances). I can see how the size would be an issue for some, but for me it's one of those "comes with the territory" situations. This purchase was more in the form of an insurance policy. That's not to say the TC case is providing less "insurance," it's slightly different "insurance."

The foam is stiff, but I expected that. However, it's not so stiff as to make putting items in the case and getting them difficult.

Yes, you can get up to ten batteries in this case, and that includes putting the tenth one on the Inspire. Actually, you could get even more in the case, depending on what you do or don't put in the other compartments. I only have one controller, so that space is also open at this time.

Yes, you can leave the camera/gimbal on the bird, but I have reservations about that (and that's just an opinion, not based on any information or experience to the contrary).

I'm pleased with the purchase as I am confident that TC buyers will be pleased with theirs. Regardless of which case you buy, your copter will be better protected than in the stock case.

Last edited:
That's interesting, Gopro is less than half the weight? I have to look at this more carefully. FedEx has the TradeCraft shipping weight for the entire package at 17 lbs. Thanks for the head's up.

That's interesting, Gopro is less than half the weight? I have to look at this more carefully. FedEx has the TradeCraft shipping weight for the entire package at 17 lbs. Thanks for the head's up.

Now that's weird! o_O I seriously doubt FedEx is that far off on the weight. Could be a typo on the Website... as to which one I am not sure.

Just checked my shipping label, it shows a weight of 31 pounds!

Something is screwy here. :confused:

EDIT:

Just got off the phone with GP. The typo is on their site. Their case (empty) is 28 pounds, which makes more sense. They apologized profusely.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44