Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tried to update my X5, now it's bricked.

Reaction score
Well, I knew I shouldn't have bothered. Went to update my Inspire today.
I did the X3 first with the 1.11 firmware. All good. Aircraft and X3 updated fine. Then I did the batteries. Then finally did the X5 with the Inspire Pro firmware.
X5 fails with the red light and the long beep. Checked the hidden log file and have the dreaded 0800 and 1500 device not detected errors. DJI say it's dead and I need to send in for repair. Any ballpark of how much this will cost me? Anything I can try to resurrect it?

Well, I knew I shouldn't have bothered. Went to update my Inspire today.
I did the X3 first with the 1.11 firmware. All good. Aircraft and X3 updated fine. Then I did the batteries. Then finally did the X5 with the Inspire Pro firmware.
X5 fails with the red light and the long beep. Checked the hidden log file and have the dreaded 0800 and 1500 device not detected errors. DJI say it's dead and I need to send in for repair. Any ballpark of how much this will cost me? Anything I can try to resurrect it?

If you're under warranty you will have no charge on this but outside of warranty I would sure hope DJI makes the right decision and covers it under an extended warranty complimentary.

Unfortunately I do not have any magic to try and resurrect it :(

If you've worked with a local dealer in the UK I would advise them of the situation and have them speak with DJI on their end pertaining to your case if you decide to sent it in. Again, you really should have no charge.

Yeah, I would hope there would be no charge but the online help guy said there definitely would be as it was user error......
I will take your advice and contact my reseller in the UK. They've been helpful in the past but I didn't buy the X5 from them unfortunately. It's well out of warranty too. Bought it shortly after it came out.
I've just flown the Inspire with the X3 just now and everything else is fine. As soon as I stick the X5 on I get no video transmission and the failed firmware update. I wish there was a way to blank the camera firmware and restore completely but it seems that DJI don't trust us with that sort of control.

The camera can still take pictures and video I have discovered. Very odd.
With the X3 on everything works fine. With the X5 on, no image transmission, no firmware update, but I can take pictures. Very, very strange.

I think dji has some bugs floating around in the new firmware out. We should get discounts for being their beta testers.

Well, I've opened a ticked for a repair with DJI. My dealer was very sympathetic and said that this seems to happen way more often than it should but that as the device was so far out of warranty I was really just going to have to cough up for whatever DJI charge me. It sucks and it's really making me re-consider upgrading to the I2. These products should not brick themselves when doing a firmware update. There should ALWAYS be a way to flash through a bootloader mode or something.

I asked DJI once who would be responsible if their firmware upgrade bricked the craft when it is out of warranty, I've got the answer that DJI would be responsible and that they would fix it free of charge.

Don't know if thats the actual case, but thats what the DJI employee emailed me back.

I mean if its their firmware upgrading process that bricks the craft and they have no way to let the customer fix it himself, then of course it should not cost anything to get it fixed regardless if the craft is out of warranty.

Reactions: slim.slamma
I would be surprised if your camera has a fault, a bit of a coincidence that it should fail during an update, I would hold fire and double check everything and you may be able to correct the issue before sending it off.

I've tried everything I can think of. This is what I've tried so far:

Tried firmware update again
Tried to put the older firmware back on
Tried to clean all contacts
Disconnected and reconnected the adaptor plate
Tried to update it on my Osmo
Disconnected and reconnected ribbon cables on the X5 itself
Tried a different lens on the X5

At this point it's shot as far as I can tell.

I've tried everything I can think of. This is what I've tried so far:

Tried firmware update again
Tried to put the older firmware back on
Tried to clean all contacts
Disconnected and reconnected the adaptor plate
Tried to update it on my Osmo
Disconnected and reconnected ribbon cables on the X5 itself
Tried a different lens on the X5

At this point it's shot as far as I can tell.
I take it you have updated the controller and DJI go app?

The fact that you can take stills means the camera is not dead?

Well i think the 0800 and 1500 errors mean that the firmware upgrading process have bricked your camera and that you unfortunately need to send it to DJI for them to fix it.

I bet that is something we could pretty easily fix ourselves if DJI allowed customers more access to fix these kind of problems. Same goes for bricked crafts. But unfortunately DJI wants to have control over these things themselves.

I don't know if anybody have fixed a camera themselves that had the 0800 /1500 error codes?

I can find no instance of anyone on the web managing to fix those errors. I've got it boxed up and ready to go back to DJI. I just wish I knew roughly how much I'm looking at for them to fix it because I'm a bit short of cash at the moment. If it's going to be £100s then I'm likely to not bother and just go back to flying with the X3.
I've very annoyed with DJI and that they don't provide any way to recover from this.

I can find no instance of anyone on the web managing to fix those errors. I've got it boxed up and ready to go back to DJI. I just wish I knew roughly how much I'm looking at for them to fix it because I'm a bit short of cash at the moment. If it's going to be £100s then I'm likely to not bother and just go back to flying with the X3.
I've very annoyed with DJI and that they don't provide any way to recover from this.

It shouldn't cost you anything since it´s not your fault, you have done the upgrade according to their instructions.
It´s their firmware upgrade process that has caused this error and bricked the camera, and they don't give the customer any way to fix it himself (which they could do if they wanted).

If they try to charge you then you should strongly object and let them know that it´s their firmware upgrade process that has caused your bricked camera, and that you have followed their way of doing the upgrade.
But it can be the case that you need to pay the shipping to the DJI service center yourself?
If they for some strange wrong reason wanted to charge you it will hardly cost hundreds since i guess for them this is a pretty fast and easy fix. But as i said you shouldn't have to pay anything.

About fixing the 0800 / 1500 error yourself. I haven't heard about anyone either fixing it himself.

Well, I've had quite a result. DJI have agreed to repair my X5 FoC! I'm a happy person indeed.

Well that should be the obvious way it should be handled, i.e. DJI taking responsibility for their firmware update process, unfortunately that can't be expected when it comes to DJI.

Glad to hear DJI is taking responsibility, i hope it is their policy to fix all DJI crafts and cameras bricked by their firmware updates free of charge?

I have the exact issue... I've contacted DJI about sending the camera in. wish there was a way around this

Hopefully you have the same outcome as me, as in a free repair.
I wish there was a way around this. Any other tech there is usually a way to get the thing in bootloader mode and then flash the firmware again.

Sadly this issue is caused by a firmware failure on the 08 module, all communications between that and the rest of the craft fail, as the 15 module communicates via the 08 to the rest of the craft both show as missing, exact cause of this issue is unknown but its believed to be failed fw installation on the 08 module specifically , in the passed there was a possible fix DJI would unofficially hand out BUT if it was not done exactly correct it could brick the camera permanently I believe so in the end that was stopped.

DJI should resolve this for free in all cases though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop