Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Trying a new video style for roof inspections....

Reaction score
Hey doods!

Experimenting with a new video style for roof inspections for large properties with multiple roofs...

This idea was born from a client I serviced last year who had 4 apartment complexes. The largest of the 4 seemed like it could use help with a "map" of sorts. Seems to me, without the map, it would be difficult to assess which building was being inspected. So I made this video.

Note-1: The client requested nadir video for all 4 complexes.
Note-2: "Roof inspection" isn't normally a market I actively pursue. But I figure if I can get 4-figures for larger inspections, it might be worth pursuing.
Note-3: Best viewed in 4K on a large screen (32" or larger).
Note-4: DJI Inspire 1 (v2), X3 camera. Autopilot software.

Thoughts?

D

Last edited:
Impressive, beats the heck out of walking miles of roof. Have you done any thermography? A lot of those roofs look like they have or will have problems that thermography would indicate. What autopilot software do you use? Again, very impressive.

Looks great! I agree the map is a great guide, to keep the viewer oriented. Most of those roofs look the same, and there are a bunch. I'd be interested to know how you added the red arrow, at least as much as you'd be willing to share about it. Even though the aircraft position is shown on the map, that arrow is really key.

Impressive, beats the heck out of walking miles of roof. Have you done any thermography?
No. Not yet.

A lot of those roofs look like they have or will have problems that thermography would indicate.
Perhaps. At this stage of the game I'm not actively seeking out this type of work, but I may put this video up on my website as a demo and sort of chum the waters with it. But first I wanted to get objective opinions before doing so.

What autopilot software do you use? Again, very impressive.
Hehe...it's actually called "Autopilot."

D

Reactions: hydop
Looks great! I agree the map is a great guide, to keep the viewer oriented.
Glad to hear that that is what you got out of that map. That was my intent.

Most of those roofs look the same, and there are a bunch. I'd be interested to know how you added the red arrow, at least as much as you'd be willing to share about it.
It's very simple. It's just a .jpg of a red arrow I got off the Internet. From there I scale it, orient it (rotate it), and then use keyframes to move it. Because the drone in the map moves at a constant speed, the arrow's movement requires only 2 keyframes; one at the beginning of a given run and one at the end.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro CC, but almost any editing software does keyframes.

Even though the aircraft position is shown on the map, that arrow is really key.
I agree. On the first editing pass I noticed that the orange arrow was difficult to spot - especially on smaller monitors. So I added the arrow. I agree that it helps.

If I do this again for a client, I think I'll get rid of the waypoint indicators (blue balloon-looking things). They just get in the way.

D

Reactions: CoreySnipes
Hey doods!

Experimenting with a new video style for roof inspections for large properties with multiple roofs...

This idea was born from a client I serviced last year who had 4 apartment complexes. The largest of the 4 seemed like it could use help with a "map" of sorts. Seems to me, without the map, it would be difficult to assess which building was being inspected. So I made this video.

Note-1: The client requested nadir video for all 4 complexes.
Note-2: "Roof inspection" isn't normally a market I actively pursue. But I figure if I can get 4-figures for larger inspections, it might be worth pursuing.
Note-3: Best viewed in 4K on a large screen (32" or larger).
Note-4: DJI Inspire 1 (v2), X3 camera. Autopilot software.

Thoughts?

D
Great way to do this type of work. I know that it is practical to shoot such video in Auto Exposure mode (S priority ?) but the jumps in brightness are quite annoying. I guess the end user for this type of videos won't care about that though.

Great way to do this type of work. I know that it is practical to shoot such video in Auto Exposure mode (S priority ?) but the jumps in brightness are quite annoying. I guess the end user for this type of videos won't care about that though.
Correct. Normally, I would never shoot in auto mode or in this case "Shutter Priority." But the Exposure Value between the white roof and black roof was so profound that I decided to just let the camera handle exposure. This allowed me to concentrate on composition and other facets of this kind of job. And honestly, I'm not sure it would be any less "annoying" if I manually changed the aperture. The difference between a white roof and black roof is like 4 stops. Since the X3 doesn't allow you to "rack" the exposure, but instead adjusts in steps, avoiding the "annoyance" is nearly impossible. Plus, as you pointed out, these videos are for forensics purposes. So normal cinema conventions don't apply here. It's more important that the roof is exposed in a way that it's neither too bright or dark so that the client can clearly see cracks and holes and other roof anomalies.

D

Correct. Normally, I would never shoot in auto mode or in this case "Shutter Priority." But the Exposure Value between the white roof and black roof was so profound that I decided to just let the camera handle exposure. This allowed me to concentrate on composition and other facets of this kind of job. And honestly, I'm not sure it would be any less "annoying" if I manually changed the aperture. The difference between a white roof and black roof is like 4 stops. Since the X3 doesn't allow you to "rack" the exposure, but instead adjusts in steps, avoiding the "annoyance" is nearly impossible. Plus, as you pointed out, these videos are for forensics purposes. So normal cinema conventions don't apply here. It's more important that the roof is exposed in a way that it's neither too bright or dark so that the client can clearly see cracks and holes and other roof anomalies.

D
Makes perfect sense.

Although I sometimes provide a video overview of a roof structure, more likely than not I would just take stills from a grid flight, supplemented with detail images on particular areas of concern. Then export the lot into Scopito. That gives the client all the data they need in terms of drone location and camera angle.

Although I sometimes provide a video overview of a roof structure, more likely than not I would just take stills from a grid flight, supplemented with detail images on particular areas of concern. Then export the lot into Scopito. That gives the client all the data they need in terms of drone location and camera angle.
Sounds like you're describing a mosaic. I actually thought about doing that, but the client specified video. I was subcontracted, so I didn't actually meet or speak with the primary client. Had I met him, I may have tried to talk him into a mosaic. There are pros and cons to both work flows, including things I'm sure I haven't even thought about.

Also, I'm more equipped to edit video than I am to create mosaics. At this point I've been using Photoshop to create mosaics. Even on a 28C (56T) editing machine, Photoshop CC crawls - utilizing only ONE of my 56 Threads....<:^/

1609003930825.png

And doesn't even touch the GPU....<:^/
1609003985633.png
I would have to be financially motivated to dive into a different photo editing suite like Pix4D or the like.

UPDATE: Looks like Photoshop uses one of my two processors during the actual stitching process.

1609004816935.png

D

Last edited:
At that height I would think you could miss cracks..
Do you need certification in your country to do this? (meaning are you a qualified roof inspector) or do you just provide the footage to the inspector who gives the report to the customer?
Was wondering about insurance and if the client and come back at you if a fault is missed but signed off on.
Looks good however

At that height I would think you could miss cracks..
Perhaps. I'm not sure if "cracks" are what they're looking for.

Do you need certification in your country to do this? (meaning are you a qualified roof inspector)
No. I know nothing about roofs, other than they're expensive...<;^)

or do you just provide the footage to the inspector who gives the report to the customer?
We provided footage directly to the customer. He may have passed it on to a roofer.

Was wondering about insurance and if the client and come back at you if a fault is missed but signed off on.
Looks good however
Nope. Just providing footage.

D

Donnie - Impressive video. I'm in the roof consulting business, so I've been brain-storming on ways to use drones in my business. I've seen some guys mount 3D cameras with custom mounts to drones in YT videos. Any thoughts on doing this type of drone-base video? The viewer could then stop the action during viewing and move to an area of interest and zoom in. The pilot wouldn't have to be too concerned about focusing in on any one topical area of the roof. That could be done later during review of the data by the client. Possibly an Insta360 one X2, which are only about $450 and shoot at high-res would be sufficient. No gimble mount needed either, as the view could be determined after production. This might be a way to revitalize an Inspire 1 to do new tricks! Your thoughts?

Donnie - Impressive video. I'm in the roof consulting business, so I've been brain-storming on ways to use drones in my business. I've seen some guys mount 3D cameras with custom mounts to drones in YT videos. Any thoughts on doing this type of drone-base video? The viewer could then stop the action during viewing and move to an area of interest and zoom in. The pilot wouldn't have to be too concerned about focusing in on any one topical area of the roof. That could be done later during review of the data by the client. Possibly an Insta360 one X2, which are only about $450 and shoot at high-res would be sufficient. No gimble mount needed either, as the view could be determined after production. This might be a way to revitalize an Inspire 1 to do new tricks! Your thoughts?
I've seen some interesting 3D videos and some interesting drone 3D videos, but I honestly haven't messed with it. Seems feasible what you are trying to accomplish.

I would keep the gimble to make sure the footage is stable. I don't know what can be done in post with 3D video, as I don't own a 3D camera.

D

Reactions: Gary Patterson
"Autopilot software"

Briefly, what company sells this app. And, can you make a flightpath and download it or whatever to pilot the Inspire?

Jon ...

"Autopilot software"

Briefly, what company sells this app.
The company is "Hangar." I purchased Autopilot years ago. Autopilot is now DroneDeploy, if I'm not mistaken.
And, can you make a flightpath and download it or whatever to pilot the Inspire?
Hmmmm...I'm not sure what you're asking. I create missions in my iPad at home. Because I have an account with Hangar, any mission I create propagates out to the cloud and then to all my iPads. I then use a given iPad to fly a given mission. So I don't "download" the missions per-se. They upload to the cloud automatically as soon as I connect the iPad to the Internet and open the Autopilot app. And then download to subsequent iPads when I do the same.

1621869305791.png

D

The company is "Hangar." I purchased Autopilot years ago. Autopilot is now DroneDeploy, if I'm not mistaken.
I used to love Autopilot. Just one correction, the guy who created it started Dronelink after leaving Hanger. (Why should I trust Dronelink to fly my drone?). I'd recommend checking it out. It's approach is a little different, but it ultimately has more options.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk