Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

United Nations for Drone Registrations

Do you think global drone registration is a good thing?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I can't make up my mind whether it would be good or bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. You should add a poll to this thread asking if people think global drone registration could really come to fruition.
Not sure how to go back and start a poll afterward.
Maybe one of the moderators could add it on.

the idea is well intentioned enough, but as I've already pointed out elsewhere over and again with the drone registration ideas, I can't see it working as well as they're wanting to believe. I'd be for it if I believed it was really workable, but having worked with databases for a lot of years, I know how bad the data accuracy can be :( (just think how much junk mail you get addressed to the wrong name, person, address or to a previous occupant of the house...).

In reality, the authorities have been blind-sided by the explosion of drones, the genie is out of the bottle and they're never gonna get it back in, it's too cheap, disposable and consumer now. It isn't like general aviation where it costs a fortune to get onboard with training and buying your aircraft, then landing fees, hanger fees, maintenance fees etc, so it's already far less controllable to start with.

Drones are not the same as manned aviation in terms of size, ownership, use, purchasing and disposal. As the size goes up they become more like aircraft in terms of price and ownership aka capital items, but for most smaller drones they're pretty much revenue items aka easily bought and easily dispose of and with all the lack of ownership that that comes with cheaper prices.

So, we register them, we fly them, they get crashed or become old tech/redundant, we give them away, sell them on or put them in the skip/tip and don't 'deregister' them - 'cause they're just a bit of electronics and it's not worth the bother, or we forgot, or it was on the list of things to do, or we're so busy with life that er, well, it didn't get done....

Then someone passes them on again or scavenges them from the skip, rebuilds them and flies them for something they shouldn't. Couple that with those that don't register them deliberately, those that trade in false registrations etc etc - just the same as with vehicle number plates now. How many uninsured drivers are there, unregistered cars, untaxed cars, unroadworthy cars, cars with false numberplate, cars stolen and used in crime...

Result will be the database isn't accurate and people will get their collars felt for something they weren't involved with... ( check out Terry Gilliam's black comedy 'Brazil' for an insightful laugh at the dangers of bureaucracy and the farce of the all-seeing 1984 style state.)

Finally, there's another big fly in the ointment - if you buy DJI care for your drone and send it in for repair, you *might* get your own drone back, but are more likely to get a refurb'd drone/FC/RC unit that was registered to someone else.... you might get your own drone's body back, but with someone else's FC in it.... or someone else's drone body with your FC in it... so you're gonna have to unregister it from the UN and re-register it with the UN and everyone else (just so long as you realise you've actually got a different serial number somewhere ;) )

Discuss..... ;) :D

Reactions: mpaerial
Unified rules, regulations, and laws would be a step in the right direction. Sales of drones I'm assuming would be monitored better.
I almost can't believe its done came this far for the UN to but their nose in. The FAA is obviously overwhelmed.

Reactions: mpaerial
I think it's inevitable ...just going to take awhile for them to get global registration implemented

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide