Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

unwanted panning in car any ideas

Reaction score
hi all
hoping to get some help on an issue I have with my Osmo with an x5 or x3
I have the vehicle mount and when it is attached on the inside widow of the car, while I am driving around a corner the osmo pans of slightly then doesn't reframe correctly. Is this because of the smooth track ?and is there a way to turn this off so that the image will hold in the same direction while the car is turning. have tested a lot of different settings but no luck.Am I missing some thing here or are there some settings I need to put in.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Aron

Hitting the trigger 3 times is supposed to lock the direction of the camera so that no matter where you point the osmo, the camera will maintain its direction.

Hitting the trigger 3 times is supposed to lock the direction of the camera so that no matter where you point the osmo, the camera will maintain its direction.
Hitting the revved 3 times goes to selfie mode
I need to line up a frame and for the camera to remain in the orientation of the handle so when the car turns the frame does not move
At the moment it seems smooth track thinks handle is panning and compensates for movement thus moving the frame even with zero deadband in settings
What can do ??

Yeah Ed I have read the manual start to finish and this is the opposite I don't want lock because that locks it to the current bearing so car turns and Osmo turns :)
with the lock off, If you hold the osmo in your hand sitting on a swivel chair your arms outstretched in front of you with the camera pointing at you as you turn, the camera momentarily pans the direction you turn then reframes, turn the other way and the camera does the same
I am trying to eliminate the small camera pan so the camera will remain locked on the frame not the current bearing
I hope this can be achieved maybe in settings or else a later firmware update
Aron

THANKS HIGHRPM955
That is not the problem and does not fix what I am trying to solve.
the osmo needs to be locked to the position of the handle while rotating not the position it is pointing.
If you are in a car as you turn a corner I would like the osmo to remain locked onto the frame that is set Ie a shot of the driver thus eliminating dead pan
Any more help is much appreciated
Aron

I think you need to change the response time of the gimbal - there are some advanced settings for the gimbal which allow you to alter the speed, acceleration and deadband areas, they control how quickly the head responds to motion input. There are three standard settings you can use, and two custom settings which allow you to play with the setting figures. I'm not sure you'll be able to elliminate all the "drift" movement from the vehicle turning, but you may be able to reduce it.

Use the settings cog to enter setup, then choose Gimbal. At the top you should see "Profiles" - Fast/Medium/Slow/C1/C2. Probably one of the first three will be highlighted. If you want to make custom settings, then you need to turn on the advanced setting and then choose profile C1 or C2 to actually be able to change the values. (It'll let you change the values in the app in the other three modes, but the values don't have any effect!).

You can then turn on smooth track and adjust the values for the pan and tilt settings of speed/deadband/accel.

Take a look at the guys video below, might help explain the various settings a bit, then it's up to you to go & play & find some that work for you.

Hope something in there helps!

I needed to do the same thing when I was filming a shot on a race track from inside the vehicle. I used a custom setting and set everything to the slowest reaction. Do when we went into turns it had no reaction. Try that. I'm sure it will work for you.

hi there getting the shot
thanks for your reply ,could you tell me what settings you used as i tried what you suggested with all setting at the slowest and what I got was not the result I am after.
The test I have been doing is if you hold the osmo in front of you with your head in the centre of frame and when sitting on a swivel chair turn left or right , the result is the frame moves and then corrects to centre. This is not ideal for me as I want the frame to hold steady on the subject as you turn a corner , where at the moment the frame slides to the side then corrects. I think the problem is in the deadband and though it says zero there is still a few degrees of movement to allow for the normal operator to obtain a smooth pan or tilt
I am open to any advise though as this would be a great tool for getting some great shots in a car
azzgrip

If the customsettings don't work out for you then try mounting the osmo in flash flight mode (i.e. Horizontally rather than vertically) - that way it has very restricted panning, but still has some freedom for the roll and pitch movements. Helps if you have a glass sunroof to undersling the mount from ;)

Hey Nick
yeah just tried your suggestion but still has the effect of not being able to hold the frame, being a 3 axis gimbal.I put it down to firmware and if DJI were more of a customer base company the issue would more than likely be able to be resolved
I work in the film industry and as the osmo is at the moment the smooth track is not up to the task
We can only hope it can be dealt with in a future upgrade as it would be an awesome camera for car rigs.:)

The best solution I've found is to put the Osmo into "sport" mode. Try that and let me know how it is.

Hey there Advocateuk
Yes I have tried that setting and it is the best so far but unfortunately the frame still has movement when cornering it has to be fixed in the firmware so the deadpan at zero is just that zero with no movement only stabilising then you should be able to adjust from that .
I work in tv drama and this slight movement is not acceptable though it is very close in the 12 mm hopefully DJI will be able to fix this

The best solution I've found is to put the Osmo into "sport" mode. Try that and let me know how it is.

I've never used an Osmo but was looking at possibly adding one, can I ask what "sport mode" would do on an Osmo? I'm hoping the Osmo for the X5S comes around soon.

I've never used an Osmo but was looking at possibly adding one, can I ask what "sport mode" would do on an Osmo? I'm hoping the Osmo for the X5S comes around soon.

Sport mode reduces the amount of smoothing that the Osmo does on pans and tilts. So the camera keeps up with your movements more quickly.

Reactions: Tommcmick
Hey there Advocateuk
Yes I have tried that setting and it is the best so far but unfortunately the frame still has movement when cornering it has to be fixed in the firmware so the deadpan at zero is just that zero with no movement only stabilising then you should be able to adjust from that .
I work in tv drama and this slight movement is not acceptable though it is very close in the 12 mm hopefully DJI will be able to fix this
What would be ideal would be if DJI put a "yaw lock" into DJO Go, like the pitch lock already does.

Hey there Advocateuk

The best you're going to get with the current software is if you do the following:

Set the Osmo into Sport Mode
Go into the settings (gear icon, bottom right) and then gimbal settings, make sure that you have advanced selected.
Then the settings you want are
Speed 100
Deadband 0
Accel 30

That will give you an almost instant response to the car turning. I'm assuming you're using an X5/X5R, if you're using an X3 you could just lock the panning arm into place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont