Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Update on registration in the US

Reaction score
Last edited:
I was contacted by letter from the FAA recently. I talked to the Rochester office today. While being very professional he also mentioned that there will be updates to the 333 and it is still evolving. In saying that I do feel the 333 is only the beginning. He was helpful and after talking with him mentioned that blanket letters will be going out to a lot more.

“Yes, registration will happen for this Christmas. And yes, it will be really bad,”
Wondering what "really bad" portends to?
He means the system they put in place by Christmas will be a bad system, unsophisticated and not that effective. Registration will be relatively meaningless and/or the process will be buggy as all hell and a big inconvenience to consumers. Primarily because it's the first time they're trying something like this and they are rushing it. Future iterations will be more sophisticated and worthwhile.

His quote in the last paragraph explains it a little better:
“I’m fully supportive of what the FAA is trying to do,” says Young. “Their first initiative will be flawed… but that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t start somewhere, or that they shouldn’t commit to making it better next Christmas and even better the Christmas after that.”

Reactions: SixtyMike
Yes, registration time is near. It may not be so bad if you intend on obeying the laws. If you don't you are asking for trouble. I encourage everyone to fly legal and safe to set an example for new fliers. With the expected uav sales for Christmas it would do us all good to mentor a new flier and show them the responsible way to take to the air! My husband and I look forward to helping other fliers in our flight group at Jordan Lake in NC. We are "The Flying Tigers"

Yes, registration time is near. It may not be so bad if you intend on obeying the laws. If you don't you are asking for trouble. I encourage everyone to fly legal and safe to set an example for new fliers. With the expected uav sales for Christmas it would do us all good to mentor a new flier and show them the responsible way to take to the air! My husband and I look forward to helping other fliers in our flight group at Jordan Lake in NC. We are "The Flying Tigers"

--added the link to the proposed recommendations to my OP--- here as well:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/media/RTFARCFinalReport_11-21-15.pdf

Absolutely concur on mentoring new fliers and obeying the law. Unfortunately, many do not even know of airspace regulations and rules. We, as a community, need to educate new owners (and some current ones) on how to fly safely in the National Airspace System.
If tomorrow is as slow as today, I might even post up some useful airspace stuff.

Reactions: Joola
I'm beginning to wonder if there will be separate #'s for hobbyists and commercial. I'm thinking "yes". This will force anyone who's operating without a 333, waiting for the new rules, to capitulate or face penalties. o_O

I'm beginning to wonder if there will be separate #'s for hobbyists and commercial. I'm thinking "yes". This will force anyone who's operating without a 333, waiting for the new rules, to capitulate or face penalties. o_O

Is there any news regarding the requirements for commercial use?

Well, drones have been around for a few years and no deaths, but we to will have to be registered soon, but balancer boards have been here for a few months and we have had someone killed, and there have been count less accidents and injured riders, but I'm sure there will be no registration for those!

Well, drones have been around for a few years and no deaths, but we to will have to be registered soon, but balancer boards have been here for a few months and we have had someone killed, and there have been count less accidents and injured riders, but I'm sure there will be no registration for those!
They are totally banned though (as are Segways) on all UK streets and public places. At least we do not have a blanket RPAS ban!

Mount AR-15s on them then the Constitution will forbid registration.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MacDyver
Question: With all of this going on, is it wise to continue filling out my 333 request, or will it be of little use given the upcoming registration rules? I am still flying, regardless, and flying safely.

Question: With all of this going on, is it wise to continue filling out my 333 request, or will it be of little use given the upcoming registration rules? I am still flying, regardless, and flying safely.
Registration has no effect on it whatsoever. It's just another think you'll have to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont