Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UPS Lost Camera Sent Back For Repair... What Happens Now?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with a lost camera while it was enroute back to DJI for repair and what happens ?

I filed a claim with UPS and waiting on decision. DJI said “let us know how it goes”.

They told me they have not run into this before which I have a hard time believing is true.

Is there any advice to be offered or expectation on how this might end ?

I’m trying to decide if I should buy a new camera or will DJI replace the camera anyways as it was a DJI care refresh plus replacement anyways. I don’t want to end up with two camera! Only need one.

Thank you in advance

If you're the shipper, its on you to sort out the claim process, thats pretty much all DJI can do, is wait to hear from you

That makes sense.

I guess I was wondering if I was technically the shipper? DJI supplies a prepaid way bill and I didn’t even have a chance to confirm it had insurance...

So far I have the claim filed with all the paper work they asked for just waiting on a decision.

I’m confused as to my status in this situation because dji paid for the shipping and provided a preprinted waybill. I don’t even know if there is enough coverage to pay for the camera. It did have a declared value that matched DJI web price.

That makes sense.

I guess I was wondering if I was technically the shipper? DJI supplies a prepaid way bill and I didn’t even have a chance to confirm it had insurance...

So far I have the claim filed with all the paper work they asked for just waiting on a decision.

I’m confused as to my status in this situation because dji paid for the shipping and provided a preprinted waybill. I don’t even know if there is enough coverage to pay for the camera. It did have a declared value that matched DJI web price.
As for the Care Refresh, the condition is to supply the damaged goods and then they repare or replace. If the item is lost, Care Refresh does not cover. That is at least my understanding of the policy.

If DJI supplied the label (payed the shipper) and you have a receipt that the shipper received it from you, then it would seem to me it is up to DJI and UPS to figure out. You should be fine. That's my common sense opinion anyway. I hope it works out that way for you. If DJI didn't cheap out on the insurance, then they will be fine too.

DJI supplies a prepaid way bill and I didn’t even have a chance to confirm it had insurance....

Whoever issues the shipping label and pays for the shipping is the shipper. I am surprised that UPS would even discuss it with you. I have dealt with them a few times on missing items and they have always insisted that the shipper file the claim.
Hope it works out for you.

If DJI supplied the label (payed the shipper) and you have a receipt that the shipper received it from you, then it would seem to me it is up to DJI and UPS to figure out. You should be fine. That's my common sense opinion anyway. I hope it works out that way for you. If DJI didn't cheap out on the insurance, then they will be fine too.

This is what I was thinking also. But the fact they tell me I’m the shipper despite it saying DJI returns and my name is what confused me. DJI response was very poor to this

“Thank you for your response.

We appreciate the update, please let us know if there is any assistance needed from our end. I have also updated your case with the information on this email.

Thank you and looking forward for your response.
You will receive an email survey two days after this email if not responded. If you happen to be away and won’t be able to answer this email timely, please disregard the survey and reply to us directly.

Best regards,”

My email sent was to then was

“This is a follow-up to your previous request #1 "Making a claim for DJI care..."

I have sent the broken camera back to DJI
On Friday I checked the status with the shipping company UPS that you provided me instruction to use to return the camera

It appears they have lost the camera and have started an investigation.

Can you please tell me how this works now as I need to get this camera replaced

Thank you.”

There response doesn’t align with my request or provide useful information around on how it should be handled. This I’m growing concerned!

I heard from the local DJI dealer that they might have stopped offering the X4S camera because they didn’t sell enough of them. If I can’t get one that would be a massive Finacial cost for me to move to the X5S when I don’t need that...

I continue to grow concerned with this process and DJI lack of undertaking of the questions I ask them

Whoever issues the shipping label and pays for the shipping is the shipper. I am surprised that UPS would even discuss it with you. I have dealt with them a few times on missing items and they have always insisted that the shipper file the claim.
Hope it works out for you.

This makes the most sense to me but ups is treating me like the shipper and asked me to file the paper work. My precious post shows the communications between me and DJI and in summary implies I’m on my own with this claim.

My confidence with this continues to drop.

You say you have a declared value? If the value is over $100 you have to buy further coverage from UPS, did you pay for said additional coverage? Did you file the claim with UPS? Has there been any question as to who the actual shipper of record is?

Don't put it past DJI to look the other way so they don't have to bother filing claims etc even IF they appear as the shipper of record.

I had a situation, though different from yours with yuneec, where I purchased an aircraft from them to replace one I had stolen and I asked for 3 day shipping. UPS made an error and coiud not deliver for another couple of days, I think it was 5 total, so I tried filing a claim with them to refund me the 3 day rate, their whole defense was to tell me Yuneec had to file the claim as THEY were the shipper of record. I requested Yuneec file the claim and they just gave me the runaround for over a month till they wore me out and I let it go.Funny enough this happened at the time Yuneec's customer service was rated a1a specially compared to DJIs, frankly I didn't see the improvement. Customer service is only as good as the willingness to serve.

Reactions: Drone_Video
Spoke to ups.
The are now saying that I should not have filled in the paper work they sent me and that DJI is the legal shipper.

They also said the claim was already applied to DJI account as per their contract.

I’m trying to get DJI to send me a new camera now but an understanding by the people responding to the email is pretty low and I keep getting deflecting type responses!

But closer to a solution now.

Spoke to ups.
The are now saying that I should not have filled in the paper work they sent me and that DJI is the legal shipper.

They also said the claim was already applied to DJI account as per their contract.

I’m trying to get DJI to send me a new camera now but an understanding by the people responding to the email is pretty low and I keep getting deflecting type responses!

But closer to a solution now.
Good luck bro, hope you get this solved soon. Frankly my experience with UPS claims has not been great. It takes time!

Good luck bro, hope you get this solved soon. Frankly my experience with UPS claims has not been great. It takes time!

UPS claims is starting to make me agree with you! Got a voice mail that says they found the camera and are sending it back to me or maybe to DJI. They don’t know where it’s headed.

They also said they canceled the approved payout

DJI is no he’ll at all either

Basically the run around!

I spent the last week looking for a camera and the entire city is sold out. So not fun!

Thanks for the encouragement

The way ups and DJI are both acting and the utter non sensible babble they make up at their whim is staring to get to me...

No problem to encourage a person is not a big deal for me ;) I love to encourage people for their happiness as a result :)

UPS gets smarter every time I talk to them now

So the package was found and shipped to DJI. Found in Seattle and made it to Salt Lake City. It’s been there for 2 days now and keeps getting rescanned as “arrived” in salt lake.

So I call them and and they tell me they can’t help me anymore because it’s now considered a domestic USA shipment. So waiting for someone to call me back who can help I guess.

I guess they can’t help and they can’t actually ship either ?

This is crazy.

I had a package coming through UPS once and for 4 days I kept getting updates that it had arrived in a certain city. I called them and their explanation was that someone was scanning a bin barcode of a container of packages that was sitting in the terminal but for unknown reasons it kept missing the outbound truck. (Maybe the loaders were smoking crack in the terminal???) Finally on the 5th day it showed arriving at another city. End result, it took 7 business days for a package to make a 2 day trip!!!

I just got off the phone with a manager. He found the package at their bell hun in California. So hopefully that’s true!

Very frustrating process with UPS!

I really like fedex. Never had an issue with them an done time I called them to tell them I could not pickup a package and please hold it for a little longer then they not sky do before returning to sender because I was visit My child in hospital and could not make it to fedex before they closed

A few days later I got a hand written note telling me that tbh would hold the package and get well wishes for a speedy recovery for my child.

Every engagement I have with ups is a little bit crazy. Some times they tell me my address is not valid and make me drive to the airport to get my parcel. Which is crazy because half the time my address is in fact valid according to them.

So hard to have business dealing with ups. I wish DJI would use a different company. Maybe next time I will just use fedex and pay for it myself... cheaper than chasing ups around like this.

Thanks again everyone for your support. Hopefully Monday DJI gets the broken camera and this part of the drama is over!!

I expect this crap from USPS, but UPS Is a step above, however a large company like these are bound to get stuck from time to time, USPS is the worst, UPS a not so close second, and I agree Fed Ex rules the package shipping world. Hope this thing is finally solved for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74