Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Used battery update

Reaction score
Website
airtaccavs.com
Purchasing a couple of used T47 batteries. About 95% battery life remaining. As it relates to previous updates, should I download previous updates prior to the current one or will the latest download include previous updates? Also would it be smart to treat them like a new battery, do a complete discharge then recharge?

will the latest download include previous updates
Yes. Also, the DJI GO app will alert you if the battery needs to be updated.

would it be smart to treat them like a new battery, do a complete discharge then recharge?
You do not need to completely discharge a brand new battery. I'd follow DJI's recommendations rather than recommendations you might have seen on the Internets.

Purchasing a couple of used T47 batteries. About 95% battery life remaining. As it relates to previous updates, should I download previous updates prior to the current one or will the latest download include previous updates? Also would it be smart to treat them like a new battery, do a complete discharge then recharge?

From what I understand, DJI's firmware are "cumulative", meaning they include the full, most recent firmware. You should be fine to update using the BIN file of the latest firmware. If after updating it says it still needs one, then you may need to reassess.

If you are getting them from an unknown source, such as online or through somebody with which you don't have a preexisting relationship and cannot ask about their history, a full discharge and recharge wouldn't hurt. I've used others' batteries that said they had a full charge but then suddenly dropped into the danger zone after only a few minutes of flying. Come to find out, they had been sitting fully charged for quite some time before I used them and the voltages were not completely accurate.

Last edited:
You do not need to completely discharge a brand new battery. I'd follow DJI's recommendations rather than recommendations you might have seen on the Internets.

The only problem here is the GO App will only alert you to do a full reset on the battery once it sees a certain number of charge cycles - that battery could have only 4-5 charge cycles but have been sitting fully charged (or thereabouts) for months or longer. Even with such few cycles, sitting fully charged for that long can cause some issues. I would definitely fly easier knowing that I am the one that fully charged it so I knew how long it had been sitting. This is all just my opinion over the Internets, but it's what I do with any battery that I did not purchase and maintain myself. One full discharge and recharge will place negligible wear on the battery - especially when compared to the risk of having the battery fail or suddenly discharge in-flight.

--EDIT--

I just realized your comment about following DJI's recommendations may have been in regards to new batteries and not the used batteries in this case. If so, I wholeheartedly agree with that. I do not do a full discharge/recharge on new batteries.

Last edited:
To Fink. I would hope the batteries have not set fully charged for months due the the intelligent battery auto discharge logic. Something to think about though. I'm with you though first flight I would want some reassurance that I have completed a full charge on the battery. The other is to keep Gunz (My name for my I1. Got a Syma X5SW I call Scout. Was an Air Cav pilot at one time) close for one or two flights.

To Fink. I would hope the batteries have not set fully charged for months due the the intelligent battery auto discharge logic. Something to think about though. I'm with you though first flight I would want some reassurance that I have completed a full charge on the battery. The other is to keep Gunz (My name for my I1. Got a Syma X5SW I call Scout. Was an Air Cav pilot at one time) close for one or two flights.

I would hope not also, but who knows what the previous owner set as the self-discharge threshold. Gunz and Scout are great names.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg