Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using an inverter to charge I1 batteries

Reaction score
I had a maplins 600w 12v to 240 modified sinewave inverter lying around and gave it a try to see if it would work.

It seems to charge the batteries ok but is making the charger buzz a tad. Has anyone else experienced this and ultimately is this damaging the charger? I wish these things had a normal connections like deans xt etc

I found this thread and it seems people are using them ok but i wanted to know if the buzzing is usual as it certainly does not on mains.

Charging with Power Inverter - does it cause damage?

Thanks
Mick

Last edited:
Yikes, I wouldn't use a modified sinewave inverter for that charger. I use a pure sinewave inverter and it's been working perfectly. Sorry I don't have any techincal documents to backup my opinion. I read a long time ago that sensative electrical devices like battery chargers and mircowaves shouldn't run on modified. Things that have brushes, like drills and saws work perfectly.

To be fair i didnt think a charger was a sensitive device but we are going to have to get pure wave now regardless.

At least it will run our pc in field too so we can drop footage onto it instead of using multiple ssd's if were filming a long period.

Yes you can charge your inverter battery from auto charger if voltage of both battery is same. also check the maximum charging current of inverter battery. if charging current is more than its design current then your battery life may be decrease.

More likely is that the batteries are not fully charging from the dc source. I have seen this with a cell phone charging from the ac adapter in the wall compared to charging from auto dc. I haven't gotten a meter out to test to be sure but the phone indicates it is fully charged. I presume the fault lies in the way the sensing circuitry detects the battery level. I am guessing that the ac adapter actually delivers a rectified dc that pulsates somewhat so that the sensing circuit reads it at a lower value than a true dc. That would allow the battery to charge to a higher level on the ac charger. I'm sure this would all be within engineering specs but noticeable in operation. It would be consistent with what you are seeing in that the shorter charging time results in shorter useful charge.

ive been using :
on a 600w inverter on my standard car battery when no other mains electric available on site,
however the inverter cuts out when more than 3 x TB48 are charged at once, too much draw I assume?
so now have ordered this:
not tested properly yet thoughIMG_0560.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter