Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using the DJI Copilot Boss? Let me ask you a question...

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for reading my question and any help in advance.

Can the Copilot Boss take any speed advantage of the Thunderbolt 3 to its usb Type C port (it is USB 3.1)?

I use the USB version and it took an hour and a half to dump a DNG raw 480GB card to the copilot.

That’s fine (ive redundant 480gb cards and 3 Copilot Boss drives) , but wanted to know if I purchased the TB3 version would it be a bit faster?

Cheers!

Hi,

Thank you for reading my question and any help in advance.

Can the Copilot Boss take any speed advantage of the Thunderbolt 3 to its usb Type C port (it is USB 3.1)?

I use the USB version and it took an hour and a half to dump a DNG raw 480GB card to the copilot.

That’s fine (ive redundant 480gb cards and 3 Copilot Boss drives) , but wanted to know if I purchased the TB3 version would it be a bit faster?

Cheers!
Yes, but transfer speed via TB3 protocol is also highly dependent on receiving storage properties (speed). As an example, 520GB of DNG footage dumped to G-Raid Studio external drive via MacBook Pro is taking approx. 30 min. Here, at least :) ...

Reactions: marctronixx
Thanks gents,

Yes, but transfer speed via TB3 protocol is also highly dependent on receiving storage properties (speed).

So it depends on the spinning hard disk’s write speed in this case correct?

Still , in y’alls opinion do you think the increased transfer speed of using TB3 would be worth the cost? I mean its about 1.5 hours now with usb 3.

Again any opinions would be great. ?

Thanks gents,

So it depends on the spinning hard disk’s write speed in this case correct?

Still , in y’alls opinion do you think the increased transfer speed of using TB3 would be worth the cost? I mean its about 1.5 hours now with usb 3.

Again any opinions would be great. ?
It's faster, period. How much faster? I can't tell you because it depends. Is it worth the extra cost? I can't tell you, because I don't know your expectations ...:)

Yes yes yes I’m not ignorant to the spec. I’m aware its faster than 3.0, but at the end of ther day it depends on the read/write speed of the spinning disc.

Anyway It’s all moot. I actually reached out to Mr. poulton who designed it and he sent me some info on the drive thats used in the copilot.

The speeds that even 3.0 can offer already saturates the read /write speed the internal SATA drive can handle, so going to TB3 wont realize anything.

I’m appreciative of you cats who took time to lend your points. :)

I’m 99% sure the CoPilot BOSS doesn’t have Thunderbolt, so it wouldn’t make a difference.

Sounds like you’ve reached the right conclusion marctronixx, but just to add my 2cents, a lot of drives charge a premium for USB -C or TB connections, but are still using 5400rpm drives, so you get zero performance boost. Even with that, though, 1.5hrs for 480gb does seem very long, so perhaps there would be an upgrade to the chip/processor in the TB3 version that might give some performance boost. If you have to download without a computer, maybe that justifies the cost difference for you, but personally, the speed and redundancy of a fast Laptop and SSDs justify their bulk.

I’m 99% sure the CoPilot BOSS doesn’t have Thunderbolt, so it wouldn’t make a difference.

You are correct it doesn’t, however that’s not what I asked. The unit does have 3.1 which is faster than 3.0, so if this drive had a fast ssd inside, in theory you’d get faster speeds using 3.1 gen 2 type c than you would 3.0. The driver is also marketed as having TB3. Still ive 3 of these and they have been helpful to me and I’m happy I resolved my initial query. :)

@JCFP , your post is helpful.

The speeds I’m seeing with DNG RAW 5.2K full card offloading onto the drive makes sense with the read/write speed of the copilot drive more or less. my initial thought was if I could shave 10 or so more minutes off the offload, but its not going to work based on the specs of the drives segate used.

I also spoke with someone at @Advexure who also stated they had some cats in their camp who beta tested the copilot and they concluded its best suited for SD cards and NOT SSDs, which makes perfect sense.

I just dont want to carry a laptop around for offload, so I ended up getting redundant 480gb drives and 3 of these copilots and this workflow has worked for me in the many months ive been using this system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop