Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video Recorder

Reaction score
On the Inspire controller we have the HDMI out. Is there a self contained small video recorder that RC hobbyist use to record their flights with the data. It doesn't seem that there is a legitimate app for the ipad that can capture screen video that I can find. Any help would be appreciated,

Reactions: sirnikolas
If you use a iPad, it seems as though the "Video cache" folder on the DJI Pilot app has a 720p recording of your most recent flights as MP4 files -- no telemetry overlay, but they're already being recorded in the iPad. I don't know whether this also true for Android tablets.

You can get to the Video Cache folder using iTunes and looking for files associated with the DJI Pilot app. You can also see the flight log ".txt" files.

Andy.

On the Inspire controller we have the HDMI out. Is there a self contained small video recorder that RC hobbyist use to record their flights with the data. It doesn't seem that there is a legitimate app for the ipad that can capture screen video that I can find. Any help would be appreciated,
I record every flight with Shou. You find it on the itunes store.
Free app that works great on iPad and records everything on your screen, the whole session. So you can even see what menu's you went through. Great to see the in-flight decisions you made (eg. with camera settings) after flying. 720p recording.

Here's a demo on youtube:

Example Insprire1 SHOU recording:
(just uploaded, give it a few minutes)

Big thumbs up for Nvidia Shield which can record all flight telemetry to its on sd card.

Add a mini hdmi lead and you can play back footage through a television when out of the field.

HTH

There are several goggles with built in DVr. Fat shark dominator hd for one
The DVR however can't record the HDMI input, only the analog one.

If you use a iPad, it seems as though the "Video cache" folder on the DJI Pilot app has a 720p recording of your most recent flights as MP4 files -- no telemetry overlay, but they're already being recorded in the iPad. I don't know whether this also true for Android tablets.
It is, but note that this only records footage if the camera is also recording onboard.

A Ninja Star would be pretty much the most cheap and compact option.

Apple blocked Shou's .ipa You can no longer install it without your device being jailbreaked.

I checked it and you're right! This is a shame, great little app. At least it's still working on my ipad. But can't download it anymore.
GIH Apple.

Also be sure not to connect your iPad on which it's working to the Internet if you want to continue using it. iOS seems to regularly check app validity when it has connectivity.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Thanks for all the input. I have settled on the Atomos Ninja Star . After looking at this and the youtube videos on it, it's exactly what I was looking for. Can use it with my Canon Camera as well. It is simple small but a total work horse from what I can see. I really want the video with the flight data to help improve what I am doing right and eliminating what I am doing wrong. Great Forum

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I almost got the Ninja Star but I like being able to record at 60fps. True, it makes post production slower but it allows me to create smoother video should I decided to slow my video down (50%) for example. If it's for archival then I don't want there to be any limitations. The new black magic video assist recorder seems promising.

I almost got the Ninja Star but I like being able to record at 60fps.
Would you be using it for other purposes?
Because to record the I1 remote output it's useless, it doesn't put out 60fps anyway (and only 720p). That low-res recording would only be worth for record keeping, not for production.

Anyone know the reasoning for Apple blocking that Shoua App? Looks like a very neat app

Anyone know the reasoning for Apple blocking that Shoua App? Looks like a very neat app
Yes, they have stood by their opinion that such recording technology could be used to record sensitive info like passwords and such. Thus, the liability to enabling something that could be used to obtain information fraudulently would put apple in a very bad place

That IMO is only an "excuse" they use publicly, the real reason is multimedia content rights protection. If an app like Shou was approved anybody could "record screen" while playing Netflix, DRM-protected iTunes content etc and copy away.

An app should be allowed to record its own screen though (i.e. the feature could thus be added in the Pilot app).

Reactions: damoncooper
That IMO is only an "excuse" they use publicly, the real reason is multimedia content rights protection. If an app like Shou was approved anybody could "record screen" while playing Netflix, DRM-protected iTunes content etc and copy away.

An app should be allowed to record its own screen though (i.e. the feature could thus be added in the Pilot app).
Yep, can't argue there. DJI as well as Apple are doing things to help enforce adherence to, or limit liability from misuse.

Very true! Hadn't considered that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters