Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video with DJI Go screen

Reaction score
I'm looking at making some videos that would have the pure camera video without extraneous data and at other times feature the screen of the DJI Go app and at other times a PIP of the camera view with Go screen PIP or Go screen with camera view PIP. So, how do I record the DJI Go screen without using an external camera to record the tablets screen? I'm not talking about toggling between the DJI Go apps camera view and map view but using the pure recorded camera output and then alternating that with the DJI Go screens which would switch between the camera view with data to the map view.

How do I record the DJI screens without using a camera to record it?

Brian

Depends what kind of mobile device you're using, so you might want to clue people up on that.

Android 5.0+ has native screen recording capability for example.

OK, sorry to have neglected to include that...

At present I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro that's almost a couple years old as well as a Note 4 smartphone so both are running Android though neither are running 5.0. My PC's are all Windows boxes with most running Win10 but a couple running Win7.

I am,however, thinking about getting a iPad Air 2 as it has the baro sensor that is useful in being able to more accurately follow elevation changes.

Brian

With Android 5.0, you can record the screen natively using AZ Screen Recorder or something similar. (I recommend AZ, as it's the only one I know of that will record touch points into the video, so you can see where someone is pressing.)

If you're not on Android 5, you're not entirely out of luck. With Android 4.4 or later, you can Chromecast your screen, and with iOS, you can use AirPlay Mirroring to cast your screen.

There are Chromecast and Airplay receivers for Mac OS X and Windows, which will optionally record the received video. AirServer, already mentioned up-thread, works to receive AirPlay from iOS devices. Chromecatch can grab Chromecast from Android. Reflector can grab both AirPlay and Chromecast. All three are available for both Mac and Windows.

You'll potentially suffer a bit of performance degradation compared to recording natively, AND you'll need to set up a wifi hotspot so your laptop and the tablet in the controller can be on the same wireless network, so it's not perfect. But if you don't have Android 5 native screen recording, that's probably your best bet short of rooting/jailbreaking in order to get screen recording capability.

It doesn't look like I'm ever going to get Android 5 on the 8.4 tablet unless I root. I've never done that before so I'd have to research how to do it if it's even possible to do it. The Chromecast method just sounds like too much of a kluge and a native solution looks more appealing to me.

Brian

There are screen recorders on Android 4 but they require root, on 5 they don't but you might need to flash a custom ROM indeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool