Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

VPS Question

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I notice it tends to fluctuate in distance when hovering close to the ground. I even hand held it and raised it above the ground. It'll reach 1.0m and then jump to 3m or 5m. I assume this is normal behaviour? I even cleaned the camera lens to the vps module. I did notice a piece of dust inside the lens. However, I doubt this would cause any issues. If there was issues, it wouldn't read the ground properly at all.

Here are the screenshots. Both are when the inspire is grounded. I disabled vps to show the symbol that tells me after 1.0m with vps enabled. I just think the ground needs to be lit well for the vps to work good. Maybe that's my case. After 1.0m the vps is confused on how close it is to the ground.

What y'all think?
Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-17-02-57-10.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-17-02-57-10.png
    524.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2016-05-17-02-55-54.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-17-02-55-54.png
    513.8 KB · Views: 24
I noticed something today with my vision position system. When I hand held my inspire, the distance in meter's would go up and down fine. However, I would notice the vps would disappear in the app for a moment then reappear with whatever distance I was above ground. Is this normal?

I noticed something today with my vision position system. When I hand held my inspire, the distance in meter's would go up and down fine. However, I would notice the vps would disappear in the app for a moment then reappear with whatever distance I was above ground. Is this normal?
Yes - VPS is very flakey since the ultrasonic transducers emit a high frequency sound that is bounced back (similar to radar). Unfortunately, it is very dependant on the surface and can easily be absorbed or reflected off in a different direction. Don't rely on it other than well lit patterned areas like indoor flooring etc which the camera will be able to lock onto for positional accuracy and hard surfaces which the ultrasonic pulses will reflect from.
This is actually what it was designed for rather than outside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Cabral
Yes - VPS is very flakey since the ultrasonic transducers emit a high frequency sound that is bounced back (similar to radar). Unfortunately, it is very dependant on the surface and can easily be absorbed or reflected off in a different direction. Don't rely on it other than well lit patterned areas like indoor flooring etc which the camera will be able to lock onto for positional accuracy and hard surfaces which the ultrasonic pulses will reflect from.
This is actually what it was designed for rather than outside.
Good to know :) I was concerned that there was something wrong with it. When I was cleaning the camera lens to it, I noticed 2 tiny specs of dust stuck inside the lens. Would this impact the vps from working properly? I would assume it would respond like a camera lens. If the entire lens inside gets coated with dust, then it'll be a problem right?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah