Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Washington DC SFRA Update

HFI

Reaction score
All:

This is a very local issue so I apologize in advance. The NOTAM affecting the Washington DC area has recently been updated (on 10/17). It now includes references to 14 CFR Part 107. NOTAM are notoriously hard to read and I'm wondering if I can get a consensus on whether civil/commercial operations are now permitted. Previously commercial operations within the SFRA were only permitted with a Section 333 Exemption and a COA.

There is a line that really confuses me: "UNLESS IN COMPLIANCE WITH 1610171300-PERM END PART 3 OF 6 FDC 6/1117 ZDC PART 4 OF 6 SECURITY...SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS." I have no idea what that means and I can't find anything with those numbers. The full text of the NOTAM can be found here. Thanks for your input on this!

Ah hah!!!! Using the FAA's PilotWeb, selecting View Notices for ZDC, the NOTAM is broken into its various sections and it is much easier to read (imagine that, the FAA making something easier!). Anyway, Section 4 of 6 includes:

"ALL PUBLIC UAS OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN DC SFRA, UNLESS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE OPERATOR'S APPLICABLE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORIZATION OR WAIVER (COA) OR OPERATING UNDER TITLE 14 CFR PART 107."

Grrrrrr.....just realized that this statement is specifically for Public operators. So it's still somewhat sketchy as to whether commercial operations are permitted. The statement "ALL CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN DC SFRA UNLESS IN COMPLIANCE WITH 1610171300-PERM" seems to be referring to itself. That is, the number of this Permanent NOTAM (PERM) is 1610171300 - 17 Oct 2016 at 1300.

So I would think that commercial operations are authorized as long as you are flying under Part 107 or a previously issued COA.

Opinions? I know everyone has one :)

Last edited:
The 1610171300-perm is just a section break. think if it like a page footer with no formatting. ignore that and keep reading. For civil operations is still says COA and sec. 333 exemption

Here is the text without the label gibberish, and now that I looked again it does say section 107 or ......YaY It also drops out all the crap about calling the NCRSC or whatever the initials are

SECTION III. OPERATING REQUIREMENTS FOR DC SFRA (CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS): :ALL CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN DC SFRA UNLESS IN COMPLIANCE WITH TITLE 14 CFR PART 107 OR THE OPERATOR'S APPLICABLE FAA GRANT OF EXEMPTION PURSUANT TO PUBLIC LAW 112-95, SECTION 333, AND FAA CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORIZATION OR WAIVER (COA) REFER TO SECTION VI OF THIS NOTAM FOR THE APPLIED DEFINITION OF CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS.

Here is the text without the label gibberish, and now that I looked again it does say section 107 or ......YaY It also drops out all the crap about calling the NCRSC or whatever the initials are

SECTION III. OPERATING REQUIREMENTS FOR DC SFRA (CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS): :ALL CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN DC SFRA UNLESS IN COMPLIANCE WITH TITLE 14 CFR PART 107 OR THE OPERATOR'S APPLICABLE FAA GRANT OF EXEMPTION PURSUANT TO PUBLIC LAW 112-95, SECTION 333, AND FAA CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORIZATION OR WAIVER (COA) REFER TO SECTION VI OF THIS NOTAM FOR THE APPLIED DEFINITION OF CIVIL, INCLUDING COMMERCIAL, UAS OPERATIONS.

Ok, now it's pretty clear. Thank you for that. I've worked in the aviation field for over 35 years and still find the NOTAM service to be one of the most difficult systems to use and understand. Just by removing that section break and the associated headers it becomes pretty obvious that compliance with Part 107 qualifies for operating in the SFRA. You're right, no longer is there a need to contact the National Capital Region Coordination Center (NCRCC)!

Ok, now it's pretty clear. Thank you for that. I've worked in the aviation field for over 35 years and still find the NOTAM service to be one of the most difficult systems to use and understand. Just by removing that section break and the associated headers it becomes pretty obvious that compliance with Part 107 qualifies for operating in the SFRA. You're right, no longer is there a need to contact the National Capital Region Coordination Center (NCRCC)!

Just keep in mind that Part 107 only allows operation within class G airspace within the SFRA.

Reactions: HFI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1