Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Waypoints, But not really Wayponts

Reaction score
Hello,

I have what might be a strange request but i'm sure its possible.

I have an Inspire 2, with a Cendance Remote / Crystal Sky as Master, and Regular Remote with Ipad as slave.

There is a motorcycle Parade happening in my town and I know exactly what route they are following.

What I want to do is have a way to set Way-points along the route directly beside the road and at the correct height ahead of time, and then when it comes to following the parade I want the ability to slow down / speed up the drone as it follows those way-points to stay on track with the bikers.

All i want to worry about is how fast the drone is flying, and ensure that I won't hit anything as its flying across the pre defined Way-Points.

From where I will be set up I have light of sight of the entire path, I just think if I walk the route ahead of time setting waypoints, I will be able to judge the correct height and location to have the drone fly.

Again, my primary controller is a Crystal Sky, so It has to be something compatible with that.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Waypoints is designed to work the way you want.

You can set your waypoints and save the mission. Then when you start, it will fly to the first waypoint and start flying. It presents you with one control on the screen; a slider indicating how fast (MPH) you want to fly. You can change this slider as you fly.

I would recommend trying it out somewhere with a simple mission.

Yeah I gave the DJI waypoint thing a try but I'm highly unsatisfied with it. Seems very buggy, and limited on speed. These bikes are probably going to be traveling at 35 to 40 MPH, the slider only goes to about 25 mph.

It would be nice to have something where you can pre set the flight path, and just your right stick to fly the path by just pushing forward / backward on the stick controlling speed.

I think Autopilot has something like this.. but not for the Crystal Sky.

use your other controller, iPad and litchi as the master and your Creedence and Crystal Sky as the slave.

Hello,

I have what might be a strange request but i'm sure its possible.

I have an Inspire 2, with a Cendance Remote / Crystal Sky as Master, and Regular Remote with Ipad as slave.

There is a motorcycle Parade happening in my town and I know exactly what route they are following.

What I want to do is have a way to set Way-points along the route directly beside the road and at the correct height ahead of time, and then when it comes to following the parade I want the ability to slow down / speed up the drone as it follows those way-points to stay on track with the bikers.

All i want to worry about is how fast the drone is flying, and ensure that I won't hit anything as its flying across the pre defined Way-Points.

From where I will be set up I have light of sight of the entire path, I just think if I walk the route ahead of time setting waypoints, I will be able to judge the correct height and location to have the drone fly.

Again, my primary controller is a Crystal Sky, so It has to be something compatible with that.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Hangar's Autopilot does exactly this. You can set it up so the left stick controls the speed along the waypoints and the right stick aims the gimbal. It's very cool!

Oh... crumb... just saw you're flying with the CS. We use the CS on the camera-op controller but use an iPad on the pilot controller just so we can run 3rd party apps.

Hangar's Autopilot does exactly this. You can set it up so the left stick controls the speed along the waypoints and the right stick aims the gimbal. It's very cool!
Isn't it the default setting the reverse? Left stick controls the yaw/gimbal aim and right stick controls the speed during the waypoint mission?

Isn't it the default setting the reverse? Left stick controls the yaw/gimbal aim and right stick controls the speed during the waypoint mission?
I don't know. It's just the way I assign the sticks when I'm setting up the "strategies".

it probably depends on Mode 1 or Mode 2 setup.

Here in the US, we've always used Mode 2 for R/C flying (roll and pitch on right stick, throttle and yaw on left stick), but for some reason our European friends have always used Mode 1 (Throttle and roll on right stick and pitch and yaw on left stick). With Mode 2, the right stick mimics how a normal stick in a full sized aircraft (or heli) would work. I think Mode 1 made it easier for beginners.

I tried Mode 1 once, but it was like crossing your arms and trying to ride a bike. It wasn't going to happen. :D

it probably depends on Mode 1 or Mode 2 setup.

Here in the US, we've always used Mode 2 for R/C flying (roll and pitch on right stick, throttle and yaw on left stick), but for some reason our European friends have always used Mode 1 (Throttle and roll on right stick and pitch and yaw on left stick). With Mode 2, the right stick mimics how a normal stick in a full sized aircraft (or heli) would work. I think Mode 1 made it easier for beginners.

I tried Mode 1 once, but it was like crossing your arms and trying to ride a bike. It wasn't going to happen. :D
Mode 1 makes it easier to de-couple the roll/pitch controls for precision aerobatics. I went to a modified Mode 1 when flying drones for car commercials. I can manage the speed (forward "cyclic") independent of the roll, which usually places the distance from the car. It was frustrating to adjust the distance and have the speed maybe change ever so slightly and ruin the shot.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207