Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Weak Signal ?

Reaction score
Hi I've been out today after doing updates no loss of gps issue at all but I am noticing that around 230 metres out Im getting red error weak signal ? Is this normal at that range ?

I assume you are talking about video signal and not control signal?
If that is the case then it's impossible to say as all locations will have different characteristics. What you are probably experiencing is the momentary switching of channels on the video feed that usually last about a second or two with the red warning coming up and sometimes a small glitch in video.
I took mine out to just over 2km yesterday so around a mile and a half, I had one channel switch/video glitch at around 900m and that was it..... Rock solid all the way out after that, even with the turn for home at a mile and half and all the way back.... No other warning messages.
Make sure your antennas are pointing straight up as well as this will give you maximum range and most reliable signal.

Last edited:
If that is the case then it's impossible to say as all locations will have different characteristics. What you are probably experiencing is the momentary switching of channels on the video feed that usually last about a second or two with the red warning coming up and sometimes a small glitch in video.
I took mine out to just over 2km yesterday so around a mile and a half, I had one channel switch/video glitch at around 900m and that was it..... Rock solid all the way out after that, even with the turn for home at a mile and half and all the way back.... No other warning messages.
Make sure your antennas are pointing straight up!as well as this will give you maximum range and most reliable signal.

I second what The Editor says. I frequently fly out to 2km + (up to 3.3km so far) with typically a great video signal. I cannot stress enough the importance of using the small radar screen on the bottom left to ensure you're facing the true direction of your bird and the positioning of the antennas relative to where it is in the sky. At short range this isn't such a big thing but at long range it's imperative.

Make sure your antennas are pointing straight up as well as this will give you maximum range and most reliable signal.

Hi yes you are right the video signal from what you are saying its just switching channels . When i got the red warning lights i just returned home so next time I will push it out further and see what happens thanks .

I second what The Editor says. I frequently fly out to 2km + (up to 3.3km so far) with typically a great video signal. I cannot stress enough the importance of using the small radar screen on the bottom left to ensure you're facing the true direction of your bird and the positioning of the antennas relative to where it is in the sky. At short range this isn't such a big thing but at long range it's imperative.

Thanks all has been noted .

Is it a good idea to switch to custom and just select the strongest channel? Would this stop it hunting around and changing channels?

Is it a good idea to switch to custom and just select the strongest channel? Would this stop it hunting around and changing channels?
Not really, since the best channel when you start off could become the worst channel when you get 100ft up and 300ft away from you. By leaving it on auto the Inspire will continuously give you the best lowest noise link.
Manual channel selection is more designed for when more than one Inspire is in the air in close proximity.

Reactions: crashburn
Not really, since the best channel when you start off could become the worst channel when you get 100ft up and 300ft away from you. By leaving it on auto the Inspire will continuously give you the best lowest noise link.
Manual channel selection is more designed for when more than one Inspire is in the air in close proximity.
Ya, I experimented with manual channels, ended up having to clean my pants when all of a sudden I got a red disconnect and app crash and total loss of control, by the time I had my app rebooted, thankfully rth worked. Just wish we could increase the slider from 1.25 to 1.88 in the auto setting.

Enjoy life and be nice

I have to say I did all of above and signal is solid thanks folks . I had it out to 1k cant imagine out to 3k !!

I was only able to fly 1800 ft and it flashed weak signal,are you saying its just finding stronger channel ?

I was only able to fly 1800 ft and it flashed weak signal,are you saying its just finding stronger channel ?
More than likely. 500m/1800ft is nothing. I have routinely been out to over 2km/6,500ft without issue.
When you see that message...fly thru it. It will invariably regain perfect video link.
If by chance it does not and you REALLY have gone beyond FPV range, you still have your map/telemtry data to bring you back home.

More than likely. 500m/1800ft is nothing. I have routinely been out to over 2km/6,500ft without issue.
When you see that message...fly thru it. It will invariably regain perfect video link.
If by chance it does not and you REALLY have gone beyond FPV range, you still have your map/telemtry data to bring you back home.
Thanks The Editor

And the RTH button, assuming you still have a telemetry link AND failing that, auto-RTH on telemetry link loss.

I too had a bit of a panic moment or two when the red "signal lost" message came up the first few times and hit the RTH button to get back in range. But reading the above that was probably unnecessary and waiting a few seconds for a channel switch would have made sense. Especially given the RTH button AND built-in auto-RTH functionality.

Just need to take a deep breath at those moments :)

Good info.

I've recently purchase a inspire 1 and I was doing a range test and I get a weak signal a lil over 500meters distance then it will cut in and out. The inspire will just end up coming home. I've tried multiple directions and I will even get weak signal at 230-270meters. Is this common? I live in a place where there's a concentrate amount of houses. I have the frequency under auto and with camera mbs is at 2.

You do realize that flying 2 km away is illegal right?
You are only permitted to fly VLOS.
As the "Editor" of this forum, you are supposed to show good judgment and by flouting this kind of flying, one will have doubts.
I would suggest you remove your answer before anyone sees it.

You do realize that flying 2 km away is illegal right?
You are only permitted to fly VLOS.
As the "Editor" of this forum, you are supposed to show good judgment and by flouting this kind of flying, one will have doubts.
I would suggest you remove your answer before anyone sees it.
Well they will now you've dug up a necro thread. :rolleyes:
FYI, not everyone lives in the US of A and the world does not revolve around FAA regulations.
I am bound by the Air Navigation Order under the CAA who (providing permissions are obtained) and certain criteria met will allow BVLOS operation!
Thank you for your concern

FYI, not everyone lives in the US of A and the world does not revolve around FAA regulations.
I am bound by the Air Navigation Order under the CAA who (providing permissions are obtained) and certain criteria met will allow BVLOS operation!
No problem. Your explanation is perfect.
I live in Canada and FAA rules don't apply here either.
Referring to the video signal loss, I'm wondering with the new FW update, could the update have reset the video strength signal to minimum, which I haven't checked yet?

WHAT your telling me the FAA don't govern me, I can't believe that,

How can they not when all I read is FAA this and FAA that, I'm still trying to register my drone

You must be wrong [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop