Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What's an airport?

Reaction score
Brand-new Inspire owner here. I know we can't fly within 5 miles of an airport, but exactly is an airport? Is that anyplace aircraft of any size operate? We have a small air field just over five miles from us but I'm not sure that's what the regs had in mind. I'm not even sure the runways are paved.

With the "no-fly" zones in the system, can I assume that if the Inspire takes off I'm OK?

I suspect that if it has no ATC it does not really count but I would stay the hell away from it regardless.

Brand-new Inspire owner here. I know we can't fly within 5 miles of an airport, but exactly is an airport? Is that anyplace aircraft of any size operate? We have a small air field just over five miles from us but I'm not sure that's what the regs had in mind. I'm not even sure the runways are paved.

With the "no-fly" zones in the system, can I assume that if the Inspire takes off I'm OK?
NO!

It is UP TO YOU to determine whether it is legal and safe to fly. There are many anomolies, mistakes in DJI's NFZ's.
You are 100% responsible for the safety of the flight and you are 100% responsible should there be an incident.
You cannot and should not rely on a software enabled 'crutch' to decide whether its ok to fly or not.

Reactions: BostonDronePhotos
Having some common sense will help, i fly near an area that has gliders going up, it is classed as an airport, for the purpose of flying, but there are no restrictions. You do however have other restricted airspace for other reason...

DJI explain in this video for airports...

and for the UK there is this as a guide...

Drone No Fly Zones | No Fly Drones

Last edited:
Geez, guys, no kidding. I'm not going to go buzzing up into a line of airplanes. But I've never seen any small aircraft flying over us. I'm asking if there's a LEGAL limitation despite the lack of any actual air traffic.

Geez, guys, no kidding. I'm not going to go buzzing up into a line of airplanes. But I've never seen any small aircraft flying over us. I'm asking if there's a LEGAL limitation despite the lack of any actual air traffic.

As a courtesy and being responsible, if there is a tower it maybe best to call them and let them know when, where, and what time you will be up in the air.

YES THERE'S RULES!!!

If you're flying as a hobby in the United States there's rules set by the AMA or Aircraft Modeling Association. Those can be found here. Academy of Model Aeronautics - New AMA Documents

If you're flying commercially then you need an FAA 333 exemption. which basically states you need a sports pilots license, lots of approvals, and to file lots of paperwork before flying.

Aircraft aren't suppose to fly under 500' and Drones or U A V are to stay under 400' and U A V stay 5 miles from any Air Port, meaning any place where Aircraft land and take off. Google it and read rules. Try to fly safe always.

use common sense and keep an eye on air traffic, you arent gonna get in trouble for flying within 5 miles of a small town airport with no traffic, heck you wont even get in trouble for doing so around 5 miles of a major airport, they are flying much higher than 400 feet at that distance anyway.

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft Model Aircraft Operations

Dont forget the app does not show you altitude over ground! Many pilots starting from a hill fly up to 400ft and dont realize they are much higher over the ground as the inspire does not compensate the hill.

Reactions: BostonDronePhotos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan