Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Where to fly in Florida while on vacation?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to FL in the next few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations for flying my Inspire 1 Pro down there. I will primarily be staying in Orlando, but I will be going down to Miami, Key West, St Petersburg, Clearwater, and Tampa. I will be there from the middle of August, until the end of the month. I am just a hobbyist, and I do not fly commercially or for-profit. Photography is my hobby, and I would like to get some amazing shots / video while I'm down there. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Ron

I took my V2 down to Florida a couple months back but it was so crowded in the area I was staying (St Petersburg) PLUS the fear of sucking sand up in the motor and internals, I never got it out of the case. I know people fly in sandy areas and maybe if mine was paid for and I had the money to replace it then maybe I might have tried. I highly recommend you check in with the local police department just to get the facts before you hit the go button. At least find a local hobby shop where you plan to fly
Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. Maybe someone else reading this post has better answers.

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply. Every bit of info helps. I have a few weeks before I go down there, so just looking for ideas or situations that people have come across, that would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Reactions: John Archer
Sunrises and sunsets, bridges, piers, lighthouses etc. I love landscape photography, so just about anything fits into what I like to shoot. Any recommendations?

I think you'll be fine anywhere there isn't a large crowd. If you're staying close to Disney and Universal they have nice fireworks displays every night. You could put your drone up and video those. I would not recommend doing it on Disney property. There's a lot of public and private property in proximity to Universal Studios though. There is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge south of Tampa. The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse south of Daytona Beach. Any of the numerous Intracoastal inlets all of which have Jetties is a fun place to video whether you have the boats going to Denny's with the people fishing off of them or just the inlet pouring into the ocean or the Gulf. I think the important thing is to not be too close to anyone especially for any length of time. Often times I'll pick a boat Indian Lake weather moving or stationary and try and be creative with the video shot weather coming from behind or ahead doing a semicircle or a semi orbit and I make it a point not to get too close or to stay around them for more than 5 or 10 seconds tops and then fly off. Without exception I have not gotten any dirty looks or angry gesticulations and most of the time they're smiling pointing and waving enjoying the attention. I would also survey any crowds where they be fishermen on a jetty or anywhere else and do my best to ascertain whether they are of the disposition that they would want to try and down the Drone for whatever reason. For instance I would never try and get too close to the jetty at Sebastian Inlet during the Mullet Run because those folks are absolutely rabid. I believe there are ordinances both state and federal that prohibit flying drones in state and federal parks but I know several people who do that and ar discrete and don't have a problem. Though they risk some liability. Well I would recommend it at any location you pre-plan your shots then take them then pack everything up comma by the same token you don't want a bunch of people to see you packing your $4,000 drone into an unoccupied vehicle in a public place.

Voice to text not a perfect science, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Sky
Thank you very much! That was a lot of great information! Are there any flight restrictions around the parks, for shooting the fireworks? Obviously, not flying over them, but any airports or other no fly zones? I will always check before I fly, but just as a heads up?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to FL in the next few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations for flying my Inspire 1 Pro down there. I will primarily be staying in Orlando, but I will be going down to Miami, Key West, St Petersburg, Clearwater, and Tampa. I will be there from the middle of August, until the end of the month. I am just a hobbyist, and I do not fly commercially or for-profit. Photography is my hobby, and I would like to get some amazing shots / video while I'm down there. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Ron
I dont have a location to suggest but I want to introduce this project that I'm working on to you. It's a free mobile iOS and Android app that allows users to share where they fly there drone and give people ideas where they can fly their drones. Here's a link to it on IOS where2fly on the App Store

Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=c... I'd love to get feedback:)

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Airport is not close to attractions. Disney is God down there but if you're off their property you're mostly Okay. Reams Rd is on the backside of Disney property and maybe a good spot to get some shots. Municipal Parks are usually a No no but if you stay off the beaten path should be Okay. Be mindful there's a lot of private and governmental aircraft often lower than faa min in the locations you're interested in.

Do your YouTube research diligence on So Fl subjects to shoot. There's a lot to see in around Miami.

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful! I appreciate the info. Suggestions are always welcome.

Hello, Key West is a small island with an airport and you might not even be able to take off there. We had to launch from the water. The bridges on the way down might work,watch out for 7 mile bridge as there is lots of police action and they do not seem to like the drone thing. I would look at the smaller ones that look good,plenty of pull off spots on the way down the Keys.

Pescatoral Pursuit has a great point ...be careful about your gear and who sees it in your car. My sons live in the Keys and film several times a week. I am moving from NY to there in 2019.

Last edited:
Thank you, Black Sky. I will take that into consideration. If I decide to fly by Key West, I will contact the tower, and try to get approval. I will also not leaving the Inspire in the car for any length of time, especially after flying.

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you very much! That was a lot of great information! Are there any flight restrictions around the parks, for shooting the fireworks? Obviously, not flying over them, but any airports or other no fly zones? I will always check before I fly, but just as a heads up?

Thanks!

Drones are strictly forbidden on all the 23+ square miles that is WDW. Of course, it's 325+ miles from the greater Miami area anyway where the OP said he's be so it's probably out of play anyway.

I cannot speak to the other parks but WDW I know for sure. I suspect the others are the same.

I live in Orlando. I am about the purchase an I1 so i joined this forum to learn more about it. I could take you on a guided boat trip so you could get awsome sunrise/sets over beautiful lake Kissimmee , Toho, St. John's river, or the Butler chain. The trip would be completely free if you could provide me some aerial footage for my website.

Reactions: slim.slamma
. I could take you on a guided boat trip so you could get awsome sunrise/sets over beautiful lake Kissimmee , Toho, St. John's river, or the Butler chain. The trip would be completely free if you could provide me some aerial footage for my website.
Omg I'm ready to pack my bags
You are a Gentleman and a Scholar:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters